When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Working to perfect engraving on Molly

marlin22

Here is the progress of the engravings on the Molly. Happy with the font size, but not with the alignment, need to continue to work on that. 

R&D progress is slow, but once perfected should be much faster. Still need to add more text to the bridges "15 RUBIS" and more.
6a46f814-a66f-450d-bf28-4fe09b6faf56_zps
IMG_7856_zpsd0b17f60.jpg
IMG_7854_zps7f3153f0.jpg

Thats a lot of work going on there mate..well done.... :)

Its nice to know that there will be another option on remarking the plates on the Molly.... that looks like the font size for the Spiral Breguet would it not have been easier to go with the smaller fonted 'Rolex' with the '17 Rubis.Fab Suisse' only rather than try the Swiss Made and 17 Rubis and Fab Suisse etc? I just mean there must be less work that way ...

I suppose it goes on what your looking to use it on of course is it for the 3646 or is the case irrelevant?  And if so which one mate...Tell us your plan :) :) ;)

Great work ..look forward to the next thread update :)

Thats a lot of work going on there mate..well done.... :)

Its nice to know that there will be another option on remarking the plates on the Molly.... that looks like the font size for the Spiral Breguet would it not have been easier to go with the smaller fonted 'Rolex' with the '17 Rubis.Fab Suisse' only rather than try the Swiss Made and 17 Rubis and Fab Suisse etc? I just mean there must be less work that way ...

I suppose it goes on what your looking to use it on of course is it for the 3646 or is the case irrelevant?  And if so which one mate...Tell us your plan :) :) ;)

Great work ..look forward to the next thread update :)

Pete, I am taking on the hardest first, from there it's all down hill. Below you will see what I am after with this one.

authentic_panerai_9m_zpsa409b0fe.jpg

authentic_panerai_9k_zps9d954916.jpg

When I am done I hope to be able to do all 3 of these variants, but it's going to take time.

converted6497_zps61de52a4.jpg

Awesome work, is case engraving possible with this setup?

Working on that next for the 036 and others, also want to as you about this movement is it found in Pre-Vs, if not what models if any? I might want to try this as well if they are in any Pams.

54bmtx_zps27350122.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE:

Getting the alignment down, this is the latest practice run and it looks like it is coming along. Text isn't perfect because I did it at a higher run speed but once I slow it down the text will be much better defined. It is a slow process but it is moving forward.
Molly-22_zps79013b65.jpg

Well after a great deal of R&D here is the prototype. This is the 3602, I shaved down the bridges to remove the Russian engraving and added my own. Then gave it a quick nickle plating. I need to refine how I shave down the bridges so as not to go so deep and need to work on the brushed bridge finish. I probably will not be able to remove the Russian text on the CDG movements, but I will try some different things I have in mind. Sure wish I could find a way to do CDG, anyone out there know what kind of bit is used? Here are some quick and dirty pictures.

MOLLY-PROTO_5_zpsbd6de2af.jpg
MOLLY-PROTO_4_zps5642d93f.jpg
MOLLY-PROTO_3_zps7b064092.jpg
MOLLY-PROTO_2_zps797f7405.jpg
MOLLY-PROTO_1_zps03152ea0.jpg
MOLLY-PROTO_6_zps82790c8d.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Here is the balance [censored] engraving I just finished, seen next to some gen Rolex type 1 movements I can see I did a little more than I needed to. I will remove the smaller indices and make the letters bigger. R&D is the best part of the whole build, slowly seeing things fall into place is priceless.....

Very close now, just waiting on more moments to arrive and maybe sometime next week I'll have some up for grabs.

Balance_zps41830be7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...