When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question on an AIR-King-Date

altesporsche

Hey guys ,

ran into a local watch for sale its an older air-king-date with the T-swiss made-T dial and i think a plexi crystal so i think its older. but looks to be in good shape aside from the crystal and its fluted gold bezel ( ill be changing that out ) anyways i can get it for $1000 its been serviced just sitting in a jewelry box for a lot of years. 

post-34236-0-22648800-1367092519_thumb.j

post-34236-0-31554000-1367092532_thumb.j

post-34236-0-71819900-1367092551_thumb.j

post-34236-0-17994900-1367092569_thumb.j

input would be appreciated, 

cheers !

I would say this is a pretty good price if the movement has been serviced. You said it had been sitting in a jewelry box for lots of years. Was the service done before or after it was put up? If it was serviced before, It will need another service, as the olis have probably all dried up and the seals more than likely are very brittle and are not in shape to insure water resistance. the crystal is acrylic and the scratches can be polished out.From looking at the case, crown and bracelet, it's seen plenty of wear. Could you possibly post a photo of the crown, looking at the coronet end of the crown? Somehow this crown looks odd, maybe it's the angle, but it looks like it's too rounded at the end.

Ater doing a little research, it loks like the Air King Dates are pretty rare birds. If I were you, I would buy this one to restore, not cannabalize it or try to turn it into something else. You may be able to triple your money if it were brought back to very good condition.

Looks like it could use a re-polish, but I'd be more concerned about the full stainless bracelet on what was originally to be a two-tone watch.

The bracelets were not two tone on these, the only thing gold was the bezel and crown. the dial had a gold coronet. The Air King was considered the entry level watch by Rolex, and most were produced as SS non dates. they did make some with date function, mostly for the Canadian and UK markets. Model 5700 and 5701

It's a 5701 and they're not too common. $1000 is a great deal. I see most go from $1500-$1900. Sometimes more.

However, the AK was NOT the "entry level" Rolex. I hate that term but it applies to the manual wind 34mm series of watches, ie the 6694.

I own a gen 5500, the cousin to the 5700 series. The 5701 Introduced in 1958 had a Cal 1525/1535. Yours has a 1525. Cal 1535 movements are marked "Super Precision". Some came with SS bracelets, some with TT. With vintage Rolex, the customer could specify all kinda of options and bracelets were one option the dealer could and would often swap. The AKD was mostly sold in the commonwealth nations.

yea i want it to restore and keep .. im not a two tone type of person .. i really dont like gold color stuff but i like this a lot. im going to jump on it. 

the service was done a month ago when i first found the watch and they wanted 4g for it lol she then emailed me today saying she will sell it for the price i offered.

it has been worn well i can see that .. but thats what i love about these vintage rolies.

ill take more pictures when i get it.

It's a 5701 and they're not too common. $1000 is a great deal. I see most go from $1500-$1900. Sometimes more.

However, the AK was NOT the "entry level" Rolex. I hate that term but it applies to the manual wind 34mm series of watches, ie the 6694.

I own a gen 5500, the cousin to the 5700 series. The 5701 Introduced in 1958 had a Cal 1525/1535. Yours has a 1525. Cal 1535 movements are marked "Super Precision". Some came with SS bracelets, some with TT. With vintage Rolex, the customer could specify all kinda of options and bracelets were one option the dealer could and would often swap. The AKD was mostly sold in the commonwealth nations.

My bad,I was reading on line and "entry level" came fro wikipedia, probably not the most accurate reference source.

My very first Rolex was an AirKing non date a wedding gift from my wife back in 1965. great watch, but I didn't like the non-date. She bought me a datejust a couple of years later. Unfortunately, the AK was "liberated" in a move following a fire at our house. We had a bunch of folks in and out and when we got re settled, the watch along with my Grandfathers Gold pocket watch, my dad's fraternity pin and some of my wife's jewelry was gone! We didn't discover the loss until weeks later when we unpacked everything and couldn't find the box with the stolen items. Not a great monetary loss, but irreplaceable sentimental value.