When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sub TT (Blue/Gold)

wiseguy1481

Hey guys, I have a quick question and have not seen a lot of other posts from members regarding FRANKEN TT subs. I am guessing these may not be as popular as a normal SS sub.

I have been searching and searching for a good solid TT sub (like a TC or BK) but cant seem to find a good solid TT (Blue/Gold) TT Sub to build a franken with. This is my #2 GRAIL and I was able to talk one member into letting me buy his Franken Breitling Navitimer and now I need my #2 grail which is a TT (blue/gold) sub.

Any suggestions on a good base to start with and then I will look for/source the gen parts (crystal, bezel, crown, movt. etc.)

Thanks,

Patrick

You can read more about it over at repgeek: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=196926

I don't know how quickly this watch will come to fruition, if it does at all.

I would think building one yourself could easily run $1,000-1,500- they're just not an easy build if done right.

The dial alone could easily run $500.

Other obstacles are the bezel- GP, crown and tube- easy, and the bracelet- not so easy- could run $400-500 for a decent one.

You'd want to do it with a good case- like TC's gen like mid case- $250 w/ bezel assembly- then you get the GP bezel to go with it.

There were a few WM9 TTs that came out 2-3 years ago- if you found one of those for sale you'd be lucky- haven't seen any lately.

Thanks SSTEEL and alligoat... I am willing to pay the $1-2K to build a franken TT sub. I have paid that much for a franken Breitling Navitimer that is all GEN but the case.... so I am willing to spend the money to get exactly what I want.

I talked to TC about a TT sub back in March and his response was:

"I can build a TC Sub with the two tone blue dial, insert, and gold hands that I received from the dial maker for you, not a problem. Basically it'll be a two tone dial/insert/hands in stainless steel casing and bracelet. Such combination doesn't exist but sure is unique."

I may end up going this route and using this as my base and working from there to switch out parts.

Let me know of any of you have any other good ideas on a good base to start with or if any of you have one you would like to part with :)

I have to say the MBW dial looks a whole lot better than my old TW Best, but hopefully that will change soon!

post-327-0-20798500-1367463078_thumb.jpg

I believe that there is a good bit of interest in this watch, however a really good example  doesn't exist unless you undertake a custom build, ot you are fortunate enough to score a WM9 TT from several years ago.. One of the biggest problems thus far has been the bracelet. It's very hard to build a credible TT bracelet unless you use solid gold midlinks like the Genuine bracelets. hopefully TC and janeto will get this problem solved, but it may be a ways off.

Very common question among the new members is: "What is a MBW?"
MBW means "Maria's Best Watch". Besides "Maria" there have been other dealers, such as WatchMaster, Luckyyy and George who have sold these exact same watches. Thus calling them all "MBW" is misleading, but it has become the commonly used "general term" among the members. I think it's a good term, because it makes identifying them easier for everyone

Way before WM9, TC, BK....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MBW+Rolex

On a side note anyone remember Luckyyy?  LOL.

Edited by kevin300z

yes indeed, I remember him.I actually got an MBW 1665 from him.he also sent me the wrong watch first,Was meant for someone in the midwest.I forwarded it on to the correct buyer, and Luckyyy gave me a discount on the 1665. Later on, I believe he scammed a bunch of guys over on TRC before he disappeared. Boy, we have had some characters over the-years!!