When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Great RWG gilt dial showdown

Nanuq

Well gents, the decision was made, the die cast. I placed an order for the InGod brown 2-liner and there's a "problem" with his PP account now. No soup for you!

So I think the WIS gods are telling me I shoulda gone with the MQ dial in the first place.

Checkbooks akimbo, lads! To the Internet!

Well, truth be told several members with impeccable taste opined that the MQ is the better dial. For what I'm planning I think that's the route I should take.

And I have another tropical 6538 build in the works already.

Best of both worlds.

Well, truth be told several members with impeccable taste opined that the MQ is the better dial. For what I'm planning I think that's the route I should take.

And I have another tropical 6538 build in the works already.

Best of both worlds.

B, you can get hold of Lenny@ingod at chronometer04@gmail.com He should just send you a paypal invoice directly. Funnily enough I ask Fred earlier in the week about that brown 2 liner. Not sure you noticed but both lines are in gilt. He confirmed what I'd been thinking.Normally depth rating in silver? I'm no expert but i think the ingod BLACK 2 liner looks as nice as my Mq job, worth bearing in mind that his website pictures are crap and its a third of the price

Cheers M

Thanks M,  ya know I had the same thoughts.  I talked it over with some esteemed chums and they dug out photos of double-gilt tropical dials from the era!  That's right.... did YOU know Rolex made double-gilt?  Neither did I.  They're not all done in silver depth rating. 

anim_jawdrop_short.gif

So I thought what the heck.  I've ordered one and this new build can join my pantheon of Tropical Dials.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very pleased with his tropical brown dial.  The text is very sharp and very accurate.  I used Freddy's enhanced patination tricks, it looks really nice.  I had concerns about the gilt depth rating but cc33 kindly shared some photos showing other gens from the era with the same configuration.

Mine is for sale, here's how it came out.

post-32-0-69861600-1370534427_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-80789400-1370534434_thumb.jpg

can someone please show me a REAL 6538 that has a gap between the lume marker and the gilt circle around it?

I think people have been on replica boards too long without looking at the real deal and this large gap and small marker has just become acceptible on rep dials lately...

a good real 6538 has marker lume that fills the whole circle:
RX6538-GILT-01.jpg

can someone please show me a REAL 6538 that has a gap between the lume marker and the gilt circle around it?

Ditto Nanuq. Most early Subs appear with distinct lines around the lume. This is pure conjecture on my part, but I think the reason is that aesthetics tended to take a back seat to functionality on early tool watches. Rolex probably figured that most divers were more concerned with their ability to see the markings on their watch under water rather than how the watch looked at dinner parties. So the lume was placed, more or less, within the confines of the lines.

Right on guys, the lume was very inconsistent as with everything else back then, some had the lume exactly in the gilt surrounds and some has a slight gap, they are all ok. I wanted to say something though, this Maron guy is shady. Most of his 6538 dials are redials. He does not tell people that and tries to get away with selling them for big bucks. He should be ashamed. Every dial pictured here is a redial, you can tell by the exaggerated ends at the edges of the 3 6 and 9 markers.. The "triple red is a complete made up dial, it doesn't exist..

post-38788-0-48438900-1370549440_thumb.j

post-38788-0-54825400-1370549450_thumb.j

post-38788-0-66916100-1370549486_thumb.j

post-38788-0-54777700-1370549512_thumb.j

post-38788-0-43740000-1370549572_thumb.j

post-38788-0-29097100-1370549691.jpg

post-38788-0-69858700-1370549698.jpg

Most of his 6538 dials are redials. He does not tell people that and tries to get away with selling them for big bucks. He should be ashamed. Every dial pictured here is a redial, you can tell by the exaggerated ends at the edges of the 3 6 and 9 markers.. The "triple red is a complete made up dial, it doesn't exist..

What is amazing to see is it's redials are not quite as good as we have seen on your projects mate... :)