When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Great RWG gilt dial showdown

Nanuq

Some people here are putting together the pieces to build high ticket vintage watches.  With the plethora of parts available out there I thought I'd start a topic to get people's opinions.

I'll start... I'm looking at gilt 6538 dials.  Ingod and Natalie both have tropical brown gilt dials.  Here are the photos from their sites.  Can anyone put up better pictures, or offer opinions? 

How gilty is the gilt?  How glossy is the finish?  How durable is the paint?  Your opinions please?

Ingod's dial

post-32-0-15622500-1367509423_thumb.jpg

Natalie's dial

post-32-0-61983100-1367509430_thumb.jpg

I like ingod's better.....looks like it's already in vintage form......pair it with a set of vintage hands......that should fo it.....but what do I know????

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I like ingod's better.....looks like it's already in vintage form......pair it with a set of vintage hands......that should fo it.....but what do I know????

+1 the same for me!!! Looks more crisp!

Here's my Mq  2 liner 'entry level' dial after big Daz has blown smoke over the lume and given it a matte cracked laquer effect. Natalie also offers the 'premium' version with the 'closer to gen' printed text that CC originally bought for his 6538 build from Mq. But hers appears to be the 'double red' version.

post-12988-0-22852400-1367511212_thumb.j

Here's Natalies 'top of the tree' job, notice how the crown and other gilt print is flatter and the 'text rating' is raised. I'm sure CC posted something along the same lines with regards to the Mq versions. Its a 'request price' job so I'm guessing around the $800.00 mark. 

post-12988-0-51986600-1367511474_thumb.j

Sorry, Nanuq. I have not ever seen Ingod or NDT dials in person. I make my own. This one is going to Honolulu Saturday. It's destined to be for the Graduate the following Saturday. $120,000+ just to get a watch... :whistling:

attachicon.gifMy Bond dial.JPG

Sorry, Nanuq. I have not ever seen Ingod or NDT dials in person. I make my own. This one is going to Honolulu Saturday. It's destined to be for the Graduate the following Saturday. $120,000+ just to get a watch... :whistling:

attachicon.gifMy Bond dial.JPG

Ingod's dial seems like a good match!

Holy smokes!  How did you make that?!!  Do you trake eldest sons as down payment for another?

Here's my Mq  2 liner 'entry level' dial after big Daz has blown smoke over the lume and given it a matte cracked laquer effect. Natalie also offers the 'premium' version with the 'closer to gen' printed text that CC originally bought for his 6538 build from Mq. But hers appears to be the 'double red' version.

That's reallllllllllllllly nice.  And you can see the Daz Lovin' it's got.  Do you have a link for the Mq listing?

Now that's what I'm talking about!  Beautiful.  I need to find Mq's $300 tier online.  Link?

I like the ingod too but I'd love to have a glossy look.

Freddy, do you spritz yours with lacquer, then apply the boot polish over it, to make the brown less uniform?

Yeah that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outside the skill set of someone whose favorite tools are an axe and a chainsaw.

Boot polish?  That's called "motor oil" to me.   :tu:

Holy smokes!  How did you make that?!!  Do you trake eldest sons as down payment for another?

Sheet brass and Water slide decal. You can make the picture anything you like, the finish any way you like. For under $25usd you can make over 100 of them. One of `em is bound to be good. My first was using the pic from Ingod's dial on Ebay. Since then I've made a bunch, experimented a lot and learned a few things. I will provide any advice asked. It works best with gilt chapter ring dials, IMO, though I've done both.  

B, just an FYI.  I bought a tropical 1665 dial from Ingod and the base paint is very metallic looking, on top of that the base paint started chipping like crazy, then a indice fell off. :bangin:   Perhaps that was just the 1665 batch but from the looks of the photos on Ingod's site (unfortunately really grainy) it seems to have the same base finish as my 1665.

Wow, that's a lot of good information.

JoeyB, your results are amazing.  Are you the one that did the lume after applying the decal?  Wow.

Freddy, I like your idea of the boot polish to make the dial less homogeneously brown.  All gen tropical dials are faded lighter at the hole where the pinion protrudes, and at the date opening.  So how do you apply the polish so it doesn't smear over onto the chapter ring or the minute tic marks?  I could see dabbing it on with a q-tip and then polishing, but I'd want the darker tint to extend all the way to the edge, leaving it lightest in the middle.  I don't know how you'd do that.

cc33, I really like that coarse finish you achieved.

Now I'm off to find Mq's entry level dial for comparison.  :tu:

Wow, that's a lot of good information.

JoeyB, your results are amazing.  Are you the one that did the lume after applying the decal?  Wow.

Yes. I use a water based acrylic 'Glow-Paint' similar to what RolexAddict uses. His are extraordinary, I can't match that. I can do a chapter ring dial 'good enough', staying inside the lines! The round markers are easy, flatten a toothpick tip to just under the marker size, then touch the lume, and 'touch' the marker. One stop drop! For the coronet and straight markers I have tried many things, and now have settled on using a nib. It gives me most control, and my old, tired eyes and shaky hands need all the help I can get! :wheelchair:

The nice thing about this lume is that you can tint it easily, it glows about as a 50+ year old lume would, it has the 'grainy' texture of the old lume, and if you mess up you just wipe it off with a wet tissue or Q-tip and get a do-over!

That's amazing, Joey. You should think about making these for sale! I love the gorgeous tropical color you got.

Looking closer at Ingod's dials, his black 2-liner gilt dial has a silver depth rating and gilt "SUBMARINER". But his tropical brown gilt dial has both the depth rating and "SUBMARINER" in gilt. Does anyone else think this was just a brain fart on his part?

Freddy, I like your idea of the boot polish to make the dial less homogeneously brown.  All gen tropical dials are faded lighter at the hole where the pinion protrudes, and at the date opening.  So how do you apply the polish so it doesn't smear over onto the chapter ring or the minute tic marks?  I could see dabbing it on with a q-tip and then polishing, but I'd want the darker tint to extend all the way to the edge, leaving it lightest in the middle.  I don't know how you'd do that.

Actually, you are not too far off on the application. I use a toothpick to apply the polish & then diffuse (smear) it as needed with my finger.

Although there does not seem to be alot of consistency with dial patina, I generally find that the area around the center pinion tends to be darker. I think the color variation is due to a combination of UV exposure & reaction by the paint & since it is covered by the hands, the center tends to be less affected than other areas of the dial. But I also apply a bit of polish to other bits just to help maintain some inconsistency. The trick is to keep the color variations to within a narrow range, so the dial appears differently depending on the ambient lighting.

Once the dial is off, just apply a dot of boot polish where you want it. In this case, since the dial will already be black (in my case, the dial was brown & I was darkening it), you would use brown polish. Just apply a dot around the center hole & rub your finger in a circular fashion to spread it around the hole, being careful to keep away from the text. Same thing around the date window & anywhere else on the dial you want to lighten. Just err on the side of using too little & you should be fine. Once the color looks the way you want it, you can optionally give the entire dial a light spray of clear or yellow matte varnish.