When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Not Make The Watch Waterproof.

daunwaun

How I understood it you need a watch of at leeast 10atm tested to go swim.

3 atm normal for may watches can be used in the shower. But most people forget altough 3 atm should be 30 meter under water even when you are at 1 meter under water and move your arm wildly you are creating much more pressure on the watch.

So a true diver you would need at least 10 atm resistance or even better 20 or 30 atm.

As for the rep, even at the mumbers they are making it should not really cost that much more to use some good sealing to make the watch more waterresistant.

Sinn on the other hand has some nice watches with a build in moisture absorbing module. This can be helpfull because when the watch is made and the case is closed it does contain some amount of air which does contain water. When the temperature gets colder and you watch gets colder this water could condensate, the sinn module prevents this.

my whole point in starting this thread was to prove one point...the watch states it can go a certain depth...then by god it should be able to. I buy with confidence knowing i can do what ever i want with the watch and it should hold up...

If i'm going to spend 5k on a watch and it clearly states it can go down 200m, although i would not push it that far, simply because i'm not a in that amazing physical shape i want confidence in myh product...

It seems people here and im not passing judgement on anyone in particular, are to easy going with what they purchase. If i buy something and i'm passing it off as something else then i want it to perform.

The bottom line is simply this....and this could be a whole other topic....

"you get what you pay for"- bottom line

care to argue....

P.S. - No i'm not george or have an affiliation to george or watchmaker9 although i might try to, simply becuz i believe in the product they sell.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: . Anyone with a fancy watch should also own a waterproof seiko or Nike. Common sense. :)

... and even then you need to take care. Brand new 100M diver, first time in the sea:

155464-13841.jpg

The next day:

155464-13842.jpg

Returned from the Seiko Service Centre with new parts:

155464-13843.jpg

Gens can leak too, even the hard-core tool watches. Still, now I know mine is safe, and I put my new (to me, but second-hand) Orange Monster in for a service at the same time.

The 200m is a mesurment of static presure, it dose not take into account dynamic presure, diving in to a pool could easily provide a dynamic pressure of over 50m. That is why a 30m 3ATM is only considered splash proof, and a diver graded watch a minimum of 200m 20ATM. Do you realy think that if you buy a new sea dweller you could go down to 4000ft???????? if you are willing to try it i will buy you one :bicycle:

my whole point in starting this thread was to prove one point...the watch states it can go a certain depth...then by god it should be able to. I buy with confidence knowing i can do what ever i want with the watch and it should hold up...

If i'm going to spend 5k on a watch and it clearly states it can go down 200m, although i would not push it that far, simply because i'm not a in that amazing physical shape i want confidence in myh product...

It seems people here and im not passing judgement on anyone in particular, are to easy going with what they purchase. If i buy something and i'm passing it off as something else then i want it to perform.

The bottom line is simply this....and this could be a whole other topic....

"you get what you pay for"- bottom line

care to argue....

P.S. - No i'm not george or have an affiliation to george or watchmaker9 although i might try to, simply becuz i believe in the product they sell.

And I did start another thread about genuine performance and price and what one is willing to risk.

Water resistance ratings when expressed as depth ratings are meaningless in the absolute. A 30 meter rated watch will fail if you swim in it. Only dive rated watches for over 200M with screw cown crowns and screw on and gasketed case backs can be trusted with swimming and light diving. Companies like Bulova with their "Marine Star" line and Seiko with their "Sports 150m" line sell the public something of a false bill of goods with these watches. The Marine Star line even comes with a diver's extension on some of the bracelets even though the watches in both these lines are waranteed by the package insert only against casual water and bathtub submersions. I wouldn't tout the water resistance of a 50m rated Timex as something to have confidence in. I have had 150m rated watches fog while playing in the surf.

Girard Perregeaux sells a 3000M rated solid gold Sea Hawk Tourbillon for around $200,000. Anyone who wears it in the pool is an idiot.

Edited by crystalcranium

The 200m is a mesurment of static presure, it dose not take into account dynamic presure, diving in to a pool could easily provide a dynamic pressure of over 50m. That is why a 30m 3ATM is only considered splash proof, and a diver graded watch a minimum of 200m 20ATM. Do you realy think that if you buy a new sea dweller you could go down to 4000ft???????? if you are willing to try it i will buy you one :bicycle:

Bingo!!!

I can put a watch through tremendous stress at specific small points swimming underwater at 3 feet.

I think we were typing at the sametime crystalcrainium

And again......!!!!! :)

Does anyone dive with a watch on these days? The last dive I did everyone on board was using computers and most had two. The need for a watch is long gone. Now having said that I live on the beach and use a watch for taking the kids out to do the tube thing or skiing. Some of them do have time constraints and there is a need to know sort of what time it is getting to be.

All of my reps have been good to go for casual water tasks. Clean them with soap and water, surface swimming, boat chores ect. I NEVER swim in the pacific or any other warm water place with something that shines like lures do. Big and little fish that eat flesh are attracted by them period. For general goof stuff reps have worked well for me. Only had one flood and that was a MBW Comex that failed in the Caymans. The rest of them have worked well out of the box. I know that it is a luck of the draw situation but then again they are only reps.

Does anyone dive with a watch on these days? The last dive I did everyone on board was using computers and most had two. The need for a watch is long gone. Now having said that I live on the beach and use a watch for taking the kids out to do the tube thing or skiing. Some of them do have time constraints and there is a need to know sort of what time it is getting to be.

All of my reps have been good to go for casual water tasks. Clean them with soap and water, surface swimming, boat chores ect. I NEVER swim in the pacific or any other warm water place with something that shines like lures do. Big and little fish that eat flesh are attracted by them period. For general goof stuff reps have worked well for me. Only had one flood and that was a MBW Comex that failed in the Caymans. The rest of them have worked well out of the box. I know that it is a luck of the draw situation but then again they are only reps.

Again, I have to emphasize the terminology and numbers of water resistance having nothing to do with actual use. 660 feet rated watches, although called "diving watches" are really only rated for swimming and light submersion use. They are ideal and tough enough for the tasks of work and play you are describing. If I needed to depend on my watch for my life underwater in a dive over 25 feet where I would have to be careful about decompression and rates of ascent, I would not have on a Seiko Diver.

The Oris TT1 is my newest candidate for favorite paperweight. It's rated for 1000m and runs about $1700. If I went diving for a living or for pleasure on a regular basis, it would be on my wrist.

155514-13837.png

Edited by crystalcranium

OK... enough opinion... here are the European (ISO) Standards for water resistance in wristwatches:

MARKING and RECOMMENDED USAGE

(International Standard ISO 2281)

WATER RESISTANT Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for swimming.

5 BAR 50 METRES Suitable for water related work, recreational swimming & fishing. NOT suitable for diving.

10/15 BAR, 100/150 METRES Suitable for recreational surfing snorkelling, sailing & water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

20 BAR 200 METRES Suitable for professional marine activity & serious surface water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

(International Standard ISO 6425)

DIVERS 200 METRES Scuba diving at depths NOT requiring helium gas.

DIVERS 300 METRES and over Deep sea diving at depths requiring helium gas. (Dealer’s advice should be sought)

OK... enough opinion... here are the European (ISO) Standards for water resistance in wristwatches:

MARKING and RECOMMENDED USAGE

(International Standard ISO 2281)

WATER RESISTANT Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for swimming.

5 BAR 50 METRES Suitable for water related work, recreational swimming & fishing. NOT suitable for diving.

10/15 BAR, 100/150 METRES Suitable for recreational surfing snorkelling, sailing & water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

20 BAR 200 METRES Suitable for professional marine activity & serious surface water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

(International Standard ISO 6425)

DIVERS 200 METRES Scuba diving at depths NOT requiring helium gas.

DIVERS 300 METRES and over Deep sea diving at depths requiring helium gas. (Dealer’s advice should be sought)

Here are Seiko's resistance ratings.

Water Resistant These watches have withstood testing to depths of 24 to 30 meters (100 feet) and will tolerate splashes of water or rain, but should not be worn while bathing, showering, washing dishes, swimming or diving. Watches with this designation will have the words Water Resistant engraved on the caseback.

Water tested to 50 meters (165 feet) Okay for showering, bathing, dishwashing and swimming in shallow water. Not while snorkeling or scuba diving. The designation engraved on the caseback will be Water Resistant 5 BAR (BAR is a European equivalent of the international measurement ATM, or "atmospheres." To calculate the water-tested depth in meters, multiply the BAR number by 10.)

Water tested to 100 meters (330 feet) These watches are suitable for swimming and snorkeling, but not scuba diving. The caseback designation will read Water Resistant 10 BAR.

Water-tested to 150 meters (500 feet) These watches can be worn for general water sports, including snorkeling. The caseback designation is Water Resistant 15 BAR.

Water tested to 200 meters (660 feet) These watches can be worn for general water sports, including snorkeling and skin diving (without scuba gear). The caseback designation is Water Resistant 20 BAR.

Diver's 150 meters (500 feet) Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

Diver's 200 meters (660 feet) Seiko's diver's watches with the Water Resistant 20 BAR designation on the caseback are our most water-resistant models. They can be worn for recreational scuba diving but not for professional deepwater diving.

They are an interesting take on the ISO standards. Just to hammer home a point....these are NOT all ISO rated resistances. A watch that adheres to these standards says so. Seiko's water resistance ratings are an opinion Seiko has about their product and what they are willing to support with a warranty. This is true of almost every water resistant watch sold today except for professional diving watches. The water resistant description of a Bulova or a Seiko on the product insert do not claim to adhere to international standards. The only standard they adhere to is a truth in advertising standard about not calling any watch waterproof.

Edited by crystalcranium

Apparently there is a good reason why real dive watches tend to be huge, tick and very expensive, the only afordable brand with serious pro-diver's reputation is Seiko, I use it for diving and would never use anything else; though a £5000 PAM diver would do the job, but I would have better use for the £5000...

The diver's 200m Seiko's are very solid, one can have a new 007 for about $120, so there is no reason for washing your Petek from the inside ha?

Personally, I dive with a Scubapro 300m and I hardly feel any need for it, due to the diving computer.

I also think that members' concerns about waterproof does not apply on scuba diving but occasional swimming.

Who would go scuba diving with a rep or any watch not guaranteed to 20 bar?