When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shopping trip at local Sam's

jpz5142

Oh I've seen several brands of gens at SAMs before, just not a nice one. They almost always have a shelf full of Movado or Raymond Weil, mostly cheaper invictas just never seen an 1887 and the price is reasonable given you aren't going to have a warranty.

I remember when Sam's Wholesale Club sold rolex...but not for long. Rolex started crying as usual...

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/992/508/45128/

A few years ago omega beat Eddie Platts on the Broadarrow trademark but came out with a tie against Costco when they took a run at them in the USA 9th Circuit Court and wound up in the Supreme Court. It was a 4 to 4 tie. One Supreme did not vote.

After the Supreme Court ruling, Costco can discount omega watches anywhere in the USA where the 9th circuit court (aka 9th lunatic court) does not have jurisdiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_S.A._v._Costco_Wholesale_Corp.

"as a 4–4 decision, however, Omega only operates as mandatory authority in the Ninth Circuit and does not set a nationwide precedent"

A few years ago on a forum, I read about an omegafreak who was going to pay about $2200 for a new seamaster pro at a 'friendly' AD'.

Then he saw one at Costco for about $1500.

Which one did he buy?

The one for $2200!

Why?

Because in his mind, the smp was a $2200 watch, not a $1500 watch.   

:pimp:

im on the same page with rolex.  Takes away some prestige and rareness when a luxury brand can be found on a wholesalers big story, makes the brand a second name in any industry.  Same has happened with lacoste, hugo, CK, and many other brands that are now considered ordinary.

I remember when Sam's Wholesale Club sold rolex...but not for long. Rolex started crying as usual...

When I read stuff like that legal jargon it makes want to never own a rolex. "We own the rolex name when it comes to taking your money, but we don't own it for real because rolex Geneva really owns it. rolex USA "own" it for purpose or forcing you to send it it to our rsc so we can overcharge you for parts and labor.

Felt like I was watching a high speed table tennis match when decifering whom really owned the rolex name.

A few years ago omega beat Eddie Platts on the Broadarrow trademark but came out with a tie against Costco when they took a run at them in the USA 9th Circuit Court and wound up in the Supreme Court. It was a 4 to 4 tie. One Supreme did not vote.

After the Supreme Court ruling, Costco can discount omega watches anywhere in the USA where the 9th circuit court (aka 9th lunatic court) does not have jurisdiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_S.A._v._Costco_Wholesale_Corp.

"as a 4–4 decision, however, Omega only operates as mandatory authority in the Ninth Circuit and does not set a nationwide precedent"

A few years ago on a forum, I read about an omegafreak who was going to pay about $2200 for a new seamaster pro at a 'friendly' AD'.

Then he saw one at Costco for about $1500.

Which one did he buy?

The one for $2200!

Why?

Because in his mind, the smp was a $2200 watch, not a $1500 watch.   

Possibly he was concerned about the warranty Quite a lot of the watches that were being sold on the internet and in some of the big box stores were "grey market" with no authorized warranty. While that may not seem important, I have heard of very expensive watches that had big problems early on, and with no warranty, they can be pretty expensive to repair. I had a Chronoswiss Tora, great watch, but for some reason the GMT function refused to set after about  six months. I had to send it back to Chronoswiss, and it was fixed under warranty, but had I not had a warranty,  I expect it would have been several hundred dollars for repairs.  

If in the case of the Omega buyer, it did come with a good warranty, then he should be classified under the heading," A fool and his money are soon parted"!!