When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How big a deal is it to put a folded bracelet (7836) on an older model (6200, 6204, etc.)?

EMM

This is purely an opinion question.  Got a couple of vintage builds (6200, 6204) that came on proper 7206-style rivet bracelets.  One of the bracelets is the cartel "screw-in rivet" version, though, and I don't care for it much.  But I have a real nice 7836 bracelet (source unknown) just sitting here gathering dust.  Assuming I can fit it, how big a faux pas is it to wear the 7836 on a watch that came 10-20+ years before it?  I mean, it seems possible that a 6200 owner showed up at an AD in, say, 1972 and bought a bracelet.  Or does it make the whole package look like I arrived on the last plane from GZ?

Bahhh...as long as you don't want to pass the watch as a gen...who cares??

If it feels/looks good for then just go for it :thumbsup:

I saw 1680 with saphire crystal, 93250 with glide lock clasp mounted on 16800 and 16520 with hornback reptile and all this on gens in gen fora...the only ones that cared are those who just couldn't have their own style :)

Sent from my wooden drums using Tupperware.

Having an odd match often encourages additional scrutiny, which is not a problem if everything is gen or nearly so. In fact, it can actually work in your favor with a gen because viewers may assume you are an iconoclast, who wears whatever he likes regardless. But, on a rep, the added scrutiny may just cause you problems.

"how big a faux pas is it to wear the 7836 on a watch that came 10-20+ years before it?"

Nothing wrong with it imho.

I bought a 6605 made III 1959 a while back and it came with a modern style jubilee on it. The owner bought the watch new when he was in the Air Force and when it needed a bracelet, he bought what was available at the time.

I have seen a lot of older watches with modern style bracelets on them.

there are any number of combinations, and any one of them are "right" for you. Like freddy says, if you have a not so good rep on a odd ball bracelet, it might pique the interest of folks in the know!! My father in law wore out a genuine bracelet on his gen TT Datejust, being the tightwad that he was, he went to the local drug store and searched through the bracelet rack till he found one that "Sort of" fit. He wore those bracelets on his DJ until he died. Gen watch or a really good rep, I wouldn't worry.