When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Went to my local AD, well sort of...

jpz5142

My wife and kids went to her moms for the afternoon, so I had some time to kill.

I had looked up online and saw that the mega jewelery store they built near my house was an AD for a brand that I had not seen in person before. The brand is Oris, and as I have one incoming I could not wait and wanted a sneak peak. It was not until after I had ordered it online that noticed they carrid them, must have recently added the brand since I'd had not noticed a local dealer before.

So I walk in and of course as usual, the sales lady opens the door and greats me and ask how she can help me. I say I want to look at watches, she asks any particular brand and I reply Oris.

I get the blankest of all the worlds blank stares that I have ever seen, and trust me I have a damn good poker face and she had me beat hands down. She repeats, which brand did I wish to look at, I of course repeat Oris. She says that they don't carry that brand, would I like to look at a citizen or a Movado instead?

I gave her my best blank stare, not wanting to be bested by her of course. She was not phased, damn... Sales lady - 2, me - 0.

I told her that the website listed this store as a dealer, she gave the response that all shoppers love to hear from a sales rep, "let me ask the manager". Well, as I browsed the cases the manager came over and said they were an AD but didn't cary them in the store an that they had a price sheet and could order me one with no obligation if I wanted to look at it and try it on before purchasing.

In my mind I thought, I can get them both, blank stare at both of them, I mean wtf? A dealer that doesn't carry any stock?

Then she continues with, can I get you the catalogue so you can look thru it?

Damn, sales lady must have tagged the manager "in" when I wasn't looking. Sales lady/manager - 3, me - 0.

So whose heard of this? I mean, how can you be an AD and not have stock in the store?

Ya, I don't know... Just seems odd to not be required to carry at least a few pieces in store. The sales lady and manager had what was the most important thing to have when in sales, large breast in a tight, low cut blouse. With that what do you need to know about your product? And in all reality most of us on the forums know more then the typical sales person. They really only need to know more then the typical customer which is not much at all. I mean, most guys want a watch that looks cool, and want to know if you'll change the battery for them when it goes out. Other then that they probably focus on what makes them their real paycheck, jewelery. I figure watches are mostly an add-on item for most jewelery stores, buy the wife a nice item and get a watch while I'm here.

I wonder how an Oris AD could get by with having no Oris stock at all. If they were a real Oris AD, it looks like they would at least have a couple watches that were ordered for tire kickers that did not sell.

Maybe they get Oris watches from a real Oris AD and the reason they boast about a 'no obligation' policy is that they just send the watch back to the AD if it does not sell.

Final score:

You...1

Dealer...0 

Our store sells all brands and models!

But we do not have anything in stock at this time. :pimp:

Well they were not going to get a sale from, today at least. Since I have one incoming, I only wanted to stop by and try one on just to try and satiate my excitement. Mine should be here this week.

You know, in this day and age I really feel bad for brick and mortar retailing. If they don't have it they can't make the sale. They can offer to order it but I can usually order it just the same, usually for the same if not a better price...

Well they were not going to get a sale from, today at least. Since I have one incoming, I only wanted to stop by and try one on just to try and satiate my excitement. Mine should be here this week.

You know, in this day and age I really feel bad for brick and mortar retailing. If they don't have it they can't make the sale. They can offer to order it but I can usually order it just the same, usually for the same if not a better price...

I believe that one of the problems with "Brick and mortar" stores is they have lots and lots of folks come in and look, get the info, prices, etc. and then go home get on their computer and order one online for a much better price.

Is the AD in question a stand alone store or part of a chain? If part of a chain, possibly the other stores or some of the stores may stock the Oris line, while others don't. Years ago there was a jewelry store in Shreveport La that was part of a small chain. They stocked Breitling, but were the only store in the chain that did. I asked one of the folks in the store one time why other stores weren't carrying Breitling, their answer was because of the close proximity to Barksdale AFB, which was a big SAC base at the time, they had lots of Air Force officers come in and ask for Breitling watches. They didn't have the demand at any of their other stores, so they were the only stocking store in the chain.

Oh, it's part of a large semi-national chain. The lady said they were in fact a dealer and they could order watches, said they might get some in stock in the future, but not now. She said they were a new dealer, maybe that's why they didn't have any stock? But I really would have thought part of becoming a new dealer was an "opening order" with a few pieces to get started until the dealer figured what items they would be able to sell to their clientel.

I know that some of the tactics brick and mortar use is add on services. The local Rolex AD will give about what amounts to 10% of purchase price towards anything else in the store. Also gives a "no additional charge" service of your Rolex within 4 years after purchase. These are the types of things local retail can do to get some of the customers to stay and buy in store versus leave and buy online. Not all customers will care for these type of "value added" perks and just want a cheap price, some will compare the price "all things considered" and go for it, and then I bet most of the latter group will forget about some of the perks and never redeem them for ultimate gain to the local store.

I try to shop local when possible but its not always possible, esp when shown citizen when asking for oris...

I had a gen Oris TT1 Diver. Very well made brand. Here was my old TT1:

001.jpg

I've always wanted to pickup the Oris Carlos Coste Limited Edition Chrono:

135625d1224475497-fs-oris-carlos-coste-l

Nice piece.

Dave....

Edited by Aero_Dave

Wow Dave, those are nice pieces! I like the look of that lume contrasting against the dial,

just stunning. I wish they would have continued with the wave pattern on the dial, but I guess I can't get everything I want now can I?

I looked at picking up a TT1 but liked the Aquis, with its crown guards, better. This is a pic of the watch I have incoming, I can't wait to get it on my wrist! I found it on eBay, decent price, looks like seller got a case of buyers remorse since be has a receipt dated 5 months ago. I'll post wrist shots when it gets here.

post-37023-0-04316300-1370869624_thumb.j

Crazy isn't it how the AD's are these days, I do feel for them in some ways though, as P153 pointed out they must get loads of tire kickers in to 'try out' a piece before they order one online so need to keep an eye on their stock. I wonder how many of us have paid nearly or actually paid full retail on a piece?

Congrats on your new piece too it's a beaut mate   :notworthy: