When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Albino '42 in Mondani GMT Book

freddy333

Do you think that the watch appearing in Mondani's book will legitimize the White dial 6542 to any greater degree? While there are those of us who really believe (or want to believe!) That the albino 6542 was actually produced, and sold to PanAm for whatever reason PanAm wanted the watches, there remains a large segment of the Vintage Rolex  fraternity that are very skeptical about the existence of legitimate Albino 65642's.

I have said before, and will say it again here, the issue will never be settled until one of these three criteria are met.1) An albino 6542 with an impeccable and traceable provenance, such as the widow or child of a PanAm executive or pilot who has records, photos etc., tying the watch to the wearer. 2) Someone digs through all the PanAM records at the University of Florida Library, and comes up with actual letters and or invoices from Rolex to PanAm showing the actual ordering of the albino 6542's, or 3) Rolex breaks it's code of silence and acknowledges that the albino 6542 was indeed built and the watches were all sold to PanAm during a specific time period. Then and only then will the issue be settled.  

Between Stefano's (1 of the authors of the Daytona bible) & Mondani's (Mondani is considered to be 1 of THE Rolex authorities by most of the major auction houses), I think the case of the albino '42 was settled some time ago. What I find interesting is that Stefano's dial is slightly different than Mondani's (which looks similar to mine, which was repainted by KR)

2nov65420082__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

As was mentioned some time ago, I believe these white dials were created either as prototypes or small-run marketing tests & not, as popular Rolex lore suggests, to placate PanAm ground crews.

Freddy, you may be correct, but if that is the case (Small lot of prototypes or a marketing test), how do you account for those watches that show up with a PanAm "Globe" and series numbers , 28/52, etc. on the caseback?