When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the Noob rolex Explorer 2 really that good?

Puretime talks about he watch very very highly. Is it really that good of a rep? Im trying to decide whether to just get the Asian eta version for 280$ or to go all out and get the 460$ BK modded Swiss eta version.  The puretime description talks about how the watch doesnt really need any modding at all. Please give me your opinions. Thank alot guys.

Puretime talks about he watch very very highly. Is it really that good of a rep? Im trying to decide whether to just get the Asian eta version for 280$ or to go all out and get the 460$ BK modded Swiss eta version.  The puretime description talks about how the watch doesnt really need any modding at all. Please give me your opinions. Thank alot guys.

What is BK's mod to this piece, besides a new date wheel sticker?

Yes its like all the other 2836 gmt's some what problmatic. The eta movt wasnt designed to be a gmt movt so sometimes it has problems. The biggest problem is the gmt gear doesnt keep perfect time but other than that its a solid watch.

Last year, the Zigmeister had said he was very impressed with the newest generation of Asia ETA clone GMT movements (modules?) .. improved and less likely to slip.

I have been pondering for quite sometime on whether or not to get this model Rolex, and over the period of time since coming back to the rep game, I have seen a slow improvement in these rep models, but as Mike correctly states, the movements used are not intended for the GMT functionality.

This said, it's not going to put me off getting one, as I know there are solutions.  One such solution is frankening, and of course getting an expert such as Mike to service, and mod the movement.  Mod in this term, strip completely down, clean all internal parts, and reassemble in a clean, dirt, and dust free environment.

Bk told me the date wheel on the Asian eta is horrible. Is this true. He says I should def get the swiss eta

You are misunderstanding him. BK offers a custom made date wheel on his watches. That's what he's trying to say to you.

You are misunderstanding him. BK offers a custom made date wheel on his watches. That's what he's trying to say to you.

I understand that but this is the message I got from BK himself

"Asian ETA is too hit-or-miss (mostly misses).  It's datewheel particularly is awful.  My reattaching the DWO mod won't help.  Don't waste your money."

When he says the date wheel he means the numbers for the date, the font is off alittle and he offers a overlay that is better than the rep one. I dont agree that the asain date system is bad on the asain its the actuall date wheels thats horrible. The metal datewheels and the teeth expecially are not the best.

teeth? On the datewheel?

As good as the rep is, I'm pretty skeptical of the 2836 modified for the GMT function. Anyone who opened up te movement can comment on my concern?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes its like all the other 2836 gmt's some what problmatic. The eta movt wasnt designed to be a gmt movt so sometimes it has problems. The biggest problem is the gmt gear doesnt keep perfect time but other than that its a solid watch.

Mine suffers from this.  The gmt timing is off about an hr a week.

sloppy lume application but other than that its great! Im just waiting till they improve on the lume application before pulling the trigger

The lume is good, not great (I wish I had a lume shot).

+1

My BK Explorer II:

It's a great watch overall

The crown screws on very smooth and easy.  The time sets and it winds smoothly

GMT timing is off.

It would look more correct w/ a gen crown

The lume is good.

The bracelet is very good and is easily removed and re-installed

Datewheel mod is good

I wish I had more photos right now.

ExplII_05.jpg

Shooter.jpg

Home made (I don't have a real one) lume shot.  I was messing around w/ a laser.

Milgauss_ExplorerII_01.jpg

Can you still get that BK Explorer II Utherman? I thought the guys were talking about the new 42mm version.

Yours looks like the old Noobfactory ExpII which was an excellent replica. Very accurate and with some small mods almost WM9/TC quality. I owned many of those.

5-1.jpg

7a.jpg

There was fairly image rich thread during the release of the Noob 42mm EXP2 - 216570 White and Black dials. I managed some macro shots of my white but not a full review nor an SLR shoot. I have both black and white, and although the black dial is shiny compared with gen they are both great. The black GMT hand with the black painted pin end, helps cover up the ICHS quite well, of course until the hour hand passes over it....

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/152850-new-rolex-explorer-2-42mm/

post-44949-0-32095800-1372134158_thumb.j

post-44949-0-91428300-1372134152_thumb.j

post-44949-0-36215000-1372134171_thumb.j

post-44949-0-96348200-1372134186_thumb.j

post-44949-0-10330600-1372134166_thumb.j

Can you still get that BK Explorer II Utherman? I thought the guys were talking about the new 42mm version.

Yours looks like the old Noobfactory ExpII which was an excellent replica. Very accurate and with some small mods almost WM9/TC quality. I owned many of those.

7a.jpg

Maybe I misunderstood.  Sorry if I derailed the thread ...

Oh well, anyway, I don't know if still avialable. 

I got mine from another member in Nov 2009, who got it from BK at the end of 2008.  He said it was one of BK's earlier date-wheel mods. 

I always loved your white dialed franken.  I have one, no mods, from Eurotimes.  Also a great rep.

ExpII_5_12.jpg

That watch was a serious candidate for some heavy duty frankening. It had all fundamentals correct. The rehaut and crystal construction were gen-like. It even had correct crown position.

For some reason it never got the respect it deserved.

Perhaps the incorrect hand stack was pushing people away from it?

My ExpII was with the correct stack though. It worked fine but then I never touched the independent hour hand setting. Sold it a long time ago. I loved the watch but the old ExpII wore too small for me... I have big wrists (and had even bigger when I was still training heavy).

I like the new 42mm version and the rep looks really nice. But perhaps not quite enough to get one. :) Much nicer than the GMT & Sub upgrades anyway.

The new Noob Ex 2 42 mm  is a REALLY nice watch indeed:)

It has the best bracelet ever made on a rep:)

I got the Swiss eta white ( that I have send for relume!) one and the Eta 2836-2 on this one is absolutely brand new ( keeps within 1s/day off!) and does not need service at all ( according to Agnus at Puretime all noob watches that has swiss eta has brand new movements ( and that has been tru on my 029M and this Ex 2 so I am happy!

The datewheel overlay is very well made and is perfectly centered on ALL dates ( not so common on reps!) but the AR on the cyclops is not so good :(

But I bought a second one with asian eta and it did not even work when I got it so I had to send it back to the dealer ( but now it works grat!)

But I belive that it was only the first preordered batch that had swiss eta as no dealer seems to have any swiss ones in stock anymore :(