When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Build - Crown Question

Aero_Dave

I have a case set coming in. It's an older BK case with lug holes. I'm told it already has a Clark tube installed.

So my question is, will a Gen 703 crown fit? If not, what is the best crown to get?

BTW, if anyone has a crown laying around they don't need, plz let me know!

Thanks,
Dave...

I have a case set coming in. It's an older BK case with lug holes. I'm told it already has a Clark tube installed.

So my question is, will a Gen 703 crown fit? If not, what is the best crown to get?

BTW, if anyone has a crown laying around they don't need, plz let me know!

Thanks,

Dave...

Dave a Gen crown will fit mate, if you need a crown I've got a Tc you can have just pm me if you want it  :)

• Like 1

Dave a Gen crown will fit mate, if you need a crown I've got a Tc you can have just pm me if you want it  :)

Much appreciate the offer. I will PM you sir!

All clarks parts are ment to fit gen case, tube crystal ect. THe only way that they wont fit gen is if they are made for eta. 

Thanks for the info Mike!

;)

Dave...

Edited by Aero_Dave

Dave, the watch you bought is a 16610 case with the sapphire crystal and the modern bezel assembly.

This won't work for a 1680 build- sorry!

That was my first thought as well, I'm outside on my patio using an Ipad, so photos weren't too clear, but when the seller described it as a TC/BK, figured it had to be an early 16610. Nice case for a 16610/16613 but not a 1680 case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dave, the watch you bought is a 16610 case with the sapphire crystal and the modern bezel assembly.

This won't work for a 1680 build- sorry!

So are you saying the bezel can't be changed-out for a 1680? What makes the bezel assembly

so different between a 1680 &  16610? Also I should be able to swap the crystal, no?

Still learning here.

Thanks,

Dave...

No, the 1680 and 16610 are not interchangeable, it is a completely different generation.

You can use instead of the mounted saphire crystal a ... saphire crystal but a genuine one for example, as long it is a Sean, BK or TC case.

Sorry, the 1680 dial won't fit in a 16610 case, the 16610 is bigger. you are going to have to reconcile yourself to either building a 16610, a 16800 or a 168000, which are all Sapphire crystal watches. If you go back and do some research on Rolex Subs, the 1680 was an acrylic crystal model using the 1570 series of movements, the 16800 was the transition model from the acrylic to sapphire, and also the movement changed to the 3035 with the 16800. The cases were completely redesigned, and nothing outside of the crown are interchangeable,  even the inserts won't  interchange.

My advice would be if you heart is set on building a 1680, I would put this case set up for sale, and try to find a good gen spec 1680 case, like the old MBW cases.