When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Proper indexing of a movement in a watch case?

CaptainJack

Hello all,

Tried the search function, but no luck.

I had one of the "watchsmiths" on this forum assemble my TC 16610 last year and have not been happy with the dial misalignment since I got it back the

second time he tried to space it properly. My watch has a heavy mix of gen parts including the dial face.

I finally got tired of seeing the dial offset to the left, so I took it apart today and I'm having a bit of difficulty lining up the movement holder and properly

indexing the dial face.

I was hoping someone had done a tutorial on installing an ETA movement in a case.

Anyone know of a link?

Thanks,

Jack

Unless you are removing or repositioning dial feet, I am not aware of any way to alter the alignment of a dial onto an ETA movement (the dial feet fit into holes in the plate & the stem must align with the hole @ 3 in the side of the case). If you are removing dial feet & securing the dial with dial dots or cement, then it is done by simply by eye (align the date in the center of the date window).

The movement holder should hold the movement tightly enough that no indexing is needed. I don't understand what you are asking.

There are a million tutorials on how to recase a movement.

Hey sneed12: The TC movement retaining ring has two set screws that need to be loosened to rotate to a half-moon notch so the whole movement assembly can be

removed. When I did that, and removed the movement,  the ring separated from the movement assembly. I put it back on, but the process of rotating it back into place creates the 

problem of the dial face rotating. I figured I was doing it wrong, so I was hoping that someone had taken the time to create a tutorial on doing it properly.

Unless you are removing or repositioning dial feet, I am not aware of any way to alter the alignment of a dial onto an ETA movement (the dial feet fit into holes in the plate & the stem must align with the hole @ 3 in the side of the case). If you are removing dial feet & securing the dial with dial dots or cement, then it is done by simply by eye (align the date in the center of the date window).

freddy333, It has a gen dial(feet ground off) on the eta movement. I guess the question is should the movement retaining ring be rotated separately into its proper position and then locked down? 

None of the movement spacers (retaining rings) I have worked with lock into place. They simply sit in the space between the outer edge of the pillar plate & inside wall of the case. The only orientation possible for the spacer is the amount of space cut into the spacer where the stem fits through. Otherwise, you simply secure the dial to the movement by eye (generally, based on the position that best centers the stem @ 3 o'clock &/or the date in the dial's date window, if fitted).

Hey sneed12: The TC movement retaining ring has two set screws that need to be loosened to rotate to a half-moon notch so the whole movement assembly can be

removed. When I did that, and removed the movement,  the ring separated from the movement assembly. I put it back on, but the process of rotating it back into place creates the 

problem of the dial face rotating. I figured I was doing it wrong, so I was hoping that someone had taken the time to create a tutorial on doing it properly.

As Freddy said, the movement ring (and movement) have only one possible orientation: the stem hole has to be lined up at 3, and the movement ring needs to be installed on the movement such that the stem goes through the cutout. There is no indexing involved.

It sounds like your gen dial, which doesn't have feet, is rotating on your movement. This is a different problem. Your hands and dial need to come off, and the dial needs to be remounted. This is why I use glue rather than dial dots on dials with no feet, to prevent this sort of problem.

Most of the time the dial is glued to the dial ring. The dial ring sometimes will rotate on the movement, misaligning your window over the dwo. Remove the the dial from the movement and verify the the dial ring is glued onto the dial. Take a small pair of needle nose pliars and slightly, and I do mean slightly bend the dial ring In about 4 places equal distance apart. This will hold your dial in position until it is completly mounted. The tabs put pressure against the dial and keep it from moving in the case.

None of the movement spacers (retaining rings) I have worked with lock into place. They simply sit in the space between the outer edge of the pillar plate & inside wall of the case. The only orientation possible for the spacer is the amount of space cut into the spacer where the stem fits through. Otherwise, you simply secure the dial to the movement by eye (generally, based on the position that best centers the stem @ 3 o'clock &/or the date in the dial's date window, if fitted).

Thats interesting freddy333, both retaining rings I own have two locking screws, almost 180 degrees apart.  The TC RR has screws that are round on top and need to slip in at cutouts in the watch case and then rotated

to line up the stem slot. I found my old WM9 RR and it had the two screws, but they were cut on one side of the head. Once I lined up the movement, I dropped in the retaining ring so I had proper clearance for the winding

stem and then just backed out the screws until everything was tight.

It's back together and it's better than it was, but the dial face still has a left shift. I think I'll drop BK a line and see if he can help me with this beast.

Thanks guys,

Jack

I have to admit that I have never worked on a TC watch, but no rep that I have seen has any screws - locking or whatever - in the spacer ring. The only screws that relate to locking the movement into the case are either those that fit through the bridles (small tabs with holes in them that fit into a slot in the sidewall of the case) or those that install into the pillar plate itself (usually half-moon shaped or cone-shaped) & lock directly into the slot in the sidewall of the case (most recent vintage Rolex watches have these.