When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Training/Running shoes

Limestone

Hi!

Me and my wife (mostly my wife) has started taking the good side of our health to another level.

Working out and running is now a larger part of our (read my wifes) life.

We (she) is really persistent and has now lost aprox 30 lbs.

But as for everything else, desired high label goods costs a small fortune.

Especially if you want to match the shoes with the workout outfit every time.

So paying ~$300 for every pair will be costly as she has a lot of different outfits :-)

So, is there a market for rep training or running shoes.

And if so, are they good enough to buy, or will they do more damage than good for the feet?

Basically, can you buy Nike, Adidas, etc shoes that:
1. Is good rep
2. Will function as regular workout shoes (not for running)

3. Will function as regular running shoes , without killing your feet?

Cheers

My advice, match the outfit with the running shoes, more outfits and the same shoes :partytime:

But to be honest, when you are running the shoe is very important for the shock your body gets everytime your foot hits the ground. I would recommend you to buy good shoes, no reps..

I have been running since military school. Off and on that is. Shoes are one thing you HAVE to spend good money on. Good running shoes should be used just for running and nothing else. That said, depending on your running style and mileage, a good pair of running shoes should last about 300-400 miles. After that there is just not enough support and too much give. Im a heavier guy now and only running about 20-25 miles a week, but I find that Brooks Beast shoes are lasting and offer great support. $130 for a pair or less with a coupon. The Brooks GTS for a lighter person are very good and are a lot less expensive.

As said before, match the "outfits" to the shoes and be healthy. Good socks and a custom insole for your foot type will pay great dividends in more running as well as faster times.

Just my .02 cents.

+1 on it's all about the shoes. Go to a running shoe store and get fitted. Buy your first pair from the store. Most running shoe stores have some sort of guarantee where you can return them for a different pair if they don't work for you.

I have weird feet/ankles due to my tennis playing days. There is literally one pair of shoes (in the Asics line) that are designed to handle my situation. Until I got in them I had tried probably 10 different pairs to try to get to where I could run long distances comfortably.

After that, there are plenty of online places to buy the next pair at a substantial discount. It's easy to find most shoes in the 30-35% off range online. You can also save money on shoes that were just discontinued.

Avoid rep shoes. Your body will thank you later.

Please do t scrimp on the shoes

Got to a good specialized shop and find out what is best for you then look to get them at a better price, I used to run in asdics but then decathlon opened up in Germany near me and I started getting good shoes from there and at a very good price.

You can run naked or in a sack if you want but get the right shoes

Thanks guys for all the comments.. this is exactly my thoughts as well... but you know ladies :-)

But if we skip the running shoes, and looking for shoes only for working out at the gym?
Or should one just leave the rep shoes alone ?  :g: 

I personally own a pair of Nike Free Runner reps I bought in Bangkok that I now only wear to the gym. Only reason I bought them was because I forgot to bring a pair when I was there and I decided to save some coin for late night antics. Plus they are neon green so it definitely caters to the generation-y in me.

My recommendation, don't run in them, they are not well constructed and, atleast the pair I have, the insoles and upper dont form to your feet that well. As for walking around and tackling the city, I had no problems with them. I still wear them today to muck around in the gym but definitely not a good choice to rack running miles on a pair of reps.

Some times you want to have a pair of bright obnoxious shoes to rock at the gym but dont want to spend much money and I guess that would be the only reason to buy a rep sneaker. Just becareful with where you source them.

• 4 weeks later...

Lime, 

If you're getting into lifting (weight training at the gym) I'd recommend you get a pair of Vibrams for the gym. You might frown upon the style/look of it, but the comfort and functionality of them for different exercises are unmatched.

Bought a pair and never looked back - perfect for training legs as well.

Cory

• 2 weeks later...