When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to hold the small screws?

fraggle42

In the process of removing the stripped tube in readiness for the new one I found out that the winding pinion had slipped from under the retaining spring finger (making up these names here, bear with me!)

So had to pull off hands, dial, and the cover plate and figure out how it all went back together (the date change mechanism just fell out onto the workbench)

It's all back together now but there MUST be some way of holding the microscopic screws onto the end of the screwdriver? Drove me nuts for ages getting the last one in.

Tried rodeco but that's not really sticky, and its not transparent.

What do you use? I thought of blu tack, chewing gum, wax, and settled on a tiny bit of watch sealing grease that was close by that worked just well enough.

Thanks but I'm looking for a set with a particular set of measurements. I'm not sure if that assortment has them.

Head - 1.5mm in diameter, 1.3mm in length

Thread -.94 to .96mm in diameter, 3.6 to 3.9mm in length

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

if the screw is really that small, it shouldn't take much rodico/wax to hold it in place.  use a toothpick with a small amount of rodico or wax from a candle to pick the screw up

You just need a set of case screws, which are available from all the watch parts houses & many hardware stores

berg10227.jpg

(click pic for link)

I was trying to buy those a while back but the shipping came to more that the screws :(

Honest, it's that small. Well, 1.2mm dia. Pics of the screw with a 1mm screwdriver blade:-

post-50255-0-47826900-1373049421_thumb.j

And on the end of the 1mm screwdriver:-

post-50255-0-89059100-1373049421_thumb.j

And I now realise the humongous benefits of getting a decent set of screwdrivers! I'm looking around for a very, very good set at the moment :)

Get a set of bergeon drivers, I have two sets and they are great. You can get a set for 150$ with stand.

I have these, which are on sale for 110$ at essinger

52.0239.jpg

and a set of these, which i like alot better there alittle more expensive.

Bergeon6899-S.jpg

Right, that's sorted. A set of 7899-S10. In a wooden box rather than a stand as I've got a bit of the shelf where they'll hang from.

I have a set of Bergeon screwdrivers that I use a lot and make replacement blades out of the non fluted section of 'high speed steel' metric drill bits of different sizes.

Mine has a stand like the top pic in MD2020's post but the screwdrivers have barrel shaped metal ends with color code stripes below the barrel...Bergeon p/n 5970.

Also have two oversize USA made 'Moody' brand WW type screwdrivers, 2.5mm and 3.0mm that I use on mainspring barrel screws etc. The bodies are 6.5mm in diameter with a cross hatch pattern so they will not slip with mainspring tension on them.

Esslinger is a good outfit to deal with. :good:

I am Cheap, with a capital 'C'. If I were to make a living, as MD2020 does, I'd invest in expensive tools. In the long run it is less expensive. I only work on my own reps, and I can do most everything with cheap tools. But there are ways to get the quality needed without spending big bucks. 

Screwdrivers in particular need to be precise, hardened properly, and fit the application correctly in order to do the job right, I bought a cheap set of "precision", color coded  screwdrivers off of Ebay. They are made in China, but have the set screw replaceable tips as Burgeon does.I then ordered the Burgeon tips and replaced the Chinese tips. They work quite well and  are about $90 cheaper.