When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown Help Needed

devilseam

Can someone help identify this crown, I bought it as a gen 703 but it wont fit my gen 703 tube? I had a look at a comparison picture and looks more like a 702. Experts I am at your mercy....................

crown_zpse9a75df5.jpg

Cheers Sgt, I had looked at that pic of Freddy's but it looks like the dots under the coronet are too close as compared to the 703 in that pic and with others I have seen? Also look at the large 'o' at the bottom of the coronet, mine looks smaller.

If it is a 703 is there are reason it wouldnt fit a gen tube?

i'll just check a Gen 703 I have in my box, hang on..............Mine looks exactly like the pic above but yours looks like a 702 cause of the closeness of the dots to crown, but the O part of the logo looks like a 703? Is it just the angle thats making it look that way mate?

And no reason I'm aware of mate either  :g: but what do I know   ;)  are the threads smaller, or why isn't it fitting?

It's probably a rep crown. It's definitely not a 702, which is a tall coronet- this would be a late 703 crown w/ the short coronet, but those fat dots are all wrong.

There are some decent rep copies out there, but not fitting a gen (or decent aftermarket) tube is a sure tell.

What he said ^^^

You can also look up inside the crown with a loupe and check its internal threading.  A 703 is threaded halfway down on the inside so it has a smooth inner surface to seal against the outside/perimeter o-ring on the tube.  A 702 is threaded right to the edge.

post-32-0-62126100-1373296112_thumb.jpg

(photo credits to Ubi)

Definitely a rep crown in devilseam's pics. The large, flat dots & too wide stance gives them away every time.

Thanks fella's, bit of a shame, but glad to have got to the bottom of it. Anyone got a spare (gen) 703!