When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this where over sized watches are heading?

irolexu

Simple social comentary on people wearing obscenely large watches, also funny. I'd say that I don't understand the trend but then I love my DSSD and 45mm PO's which I don't consider too large. For me, 50mm, 55mm, these sizes are ridiculous and found in cheap (but still overpriced) fashion watches found in mall kiosks. For others however the Omega Aqua Terra at 41.5mm is over sized and looks chunky and poorly proportioned compared to the 38.5mm size.

I personally won't wear anything at less than 40mm, any smaller and it is just too small for my wrists and I am not a big man. I also won't wear anything much bigger than 45mm but I don't think this is too large for my wrists. Watch size is a personal preference, like how your suit is tailored just remember too small is not the same as slim fit ;)

I love hearing arguments for watch size as there is always someone who will argue that the watch that is the perfect size for you is, in their eyes, ridiculously over sized, so RWG, Let's have it!

As a 5'10" woman (think Serena Williams body type), I know that some of the "ladies" sized watches are just a bit too small for me and get lost on my wrist. Easily, I pull off a 42mm and I don't veer towards pieces that are bigger than that. However, there is one exception: I bought a Crayo watch with a 50mm case and have a lot of wearing it as novelty more than anything else. 

Flash

I have to admit, I over the past 10 years I see many watches on the wrists of people out and about that are far too big and showy for their wrist size, much moreso than I see the reverse...a watch too small looking on a massive wrist, although that can happen, it is rarer!

In the past couple of years there is pretty good evidence around in the gen market to suggest that there is more growing demand for more normal classic sized watches, Maybe it is related to the fact that big and showy was all the rage of the 00's, and now that we are in the 10's and we all have been brought back down to reality with worldwide recessions etc, big and showy is becoming seen as a bit grotesque and in yer face and more understated/low key is being sought after.

Of course, some manufacturers like IWC may have bet the wrong horse when they upsized all their newest models, other manufacturers are still following the big watch trend, but keeping their options by holding onto a few classic sizes. Give it ten years, 44mm+ will look absolutely massive and 40mm-42mm ...perhaps upto 43mm will be the standard sports size again and 36mm-39mm standard dress size.

Well maybe anyway winkCA3D11ZE.gif

I think its all personal. How tall you are, skinny or buff, wrist size etc. You can be tall but skinny, then a 47mm would still look ridiculous on you.

Im a 24 year old short 'n skinny dude, eventhough I'd love to wear a 47mm PAM I know it will look like Im wearing daddy's watch. That ain't gonna happen, so for me 44mm is the way! Whereas for a The Rock guy 44mm is small.

Besides all that I think a smaller watch looks more classy, regardless your body type...