When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Need A New Camera, Any Thoughts On A Good One

milwaukee

I am in the market for a new digital camera. It has certainly been brought to my attention after viewing so many great photos on this board that mine is junk. I would like a mid to upper level camera (for what that's worth) but would not like to spend more than $1000 U.S. for it.

I have two questions for the group:

1. Any recommendations for a good camera under $1000?

2. The board seems to have a great connection with many in China, Japan, and Korea. For that reason does anybodys know of a way to by a camera more directly than going to my local electronic store and paying a huge markup?

Thanks for your help, this need of a new camera is of course all of your fault anyway. ;)

Regards

I am in the market for a new digital camera. It has certainly been brought to my attention after viewing so many great photos on this board that mine is junk. I would like a mid to upper level camera (for what that's worth) but would not like to spend more than $1000 U.S. for it.

I have two questions for the group:

1. Any recommendations for a good camera under $1000?

2. The board seems to have a great connection with many in China, Japan, and Korea. For that reason does anybodys know of a way to by a camera more directly than going to my local electronic store and paying a huge markup?

Thanks for your help, this need of a new camera is of course all of your fault anyway. ;)

Regards

While I currently live in China, I buy my electronics in the USA ;) Unless I get lucky in HK I find the lowest prices in the good ole USA :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Under a thousand then you will have to get a non SLR camera. Many to choose from but if you want to take good closeups, you will need to make sure you have this ability in the camera. Not all digital cameras have a close focus feature. Make sure you read all the specs. because you will need to focus within a foot or less depending on the lens it comes with.

Usil

I use a non-SLR camera for my pics. It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 and can be bought new for cheap. The replacement models (much better) are around $500 for the 10MP version.

156783-13527.jpg

Thanks Pugwash,

Based on the quality of your attached pics in your tutorials and your personal watches I will surely take a close look at the Panasonic.

Any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages or and SLR? All I know is that they are expensive. Can you tell that I don't know much about cameras. :D

Based on the quality of your attached pics in your tutorials and your personal watches I will surely take a close look at the Panasonic.

Don't buy a Panasonic purely on the strength of my photos, just don't rule it out. :D

Any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages or and SLR? All I know is that they are expensive. Can you tell that I don't know much about cameras. :D

SLRs are great for changeable lenses. You also get better quality internals on the Nikon/Canon DSLRs.

As has been said before, read DPReview (you'll see I even linked to it on my Panasonic post) as it's the number one resource for comparing cameras.

If I could throw in my two cents, if you're just looking for simple, inexpensive, point & shoot, you can't go wrong with the Canon Powershot--brilliant color. Since I quit shooting for a living, the Powershot's all I use for my basic 'round-the-house stuff (and all my shots on here). They're generally around $300 bucks, and they have excellent macro (close-up) capabilities. If you're not doing too much enlarging past your typical family photo-album 4x6in prints, you don't really need anything bigger than 5 megapixels--don't let the store salesman waste your money.

If you're looking to invest long-term in a worthwhile hobby (other than watches ;) ), an SLR is definitely the way to go.

As has been said before, read DPReview (you'll see I even linked to it on my Panasonic post) as it's the number one resource for comparing cameras.

I yesterday purchased myself the new Sony a100 Digi SLR pretty much based on the great reviews it's had here and being incredibly impressed with it whilst testing out in the shop.

The camera has a great heritage coming from Konica Minolta before they sold their camera division to Sony. I believe it's predecessor is the camera TTK uses and now Sony have added some new technology, tweaked the design and improved the build quality.

As Sony are effectively declaring war on Canon's domination of the SLR market with this model the prices, especially now as we're close to Xmas are very very competitive. I paid GBP680 for the body with 18-70 and 75-300 lenses. If you can afford to spend a little more then I heartily recommend this upgrade.

New pics with this beauty to follow soon (although I live in a very small flat with little natural light so my macro watch pics leave a lot to be desired).

JG

Just to clarify, my first photo tutorials were taken with a PoS 2.1MP Fuji Finepix. The photos of the camera were taken with my good camera, but the watch pics were taken with the crappy one.

Sure, looking back, I've got a lot better, but if you just need a camera for taking watch shots, get the best 5MP camera with the biggest hunk o'glass on the front you can afford.

Another thing to take into consideration is weight. Do you want to have to carry a camera bag when you go walking or would you rather wear a camera round your neck? If neither of those appeals to you, go for an in-the-pocket Compact from a good brand.

Thank you to everybody that has added so far.

I should have mentioned my intentions for this camera earlier. Not only would I like some great quality close-up's (i.e. watches) I also have begun doing a fair amount of traveling and love to take pics. The camera I have now is a super compact Pentax.

A great point was made earlier about the size and weight of the camera. I know I am never going to become a professional and I do not want a 20 pound weight around my neck on vacations so this should help me narrow it down some.

Your help so far has been GREAT! Thank you.

Thank you to everybody that has added so far.

I should have mentioned my intentions for this camera earlier. Not only would I like some great quality close-up's (i.e. watches) I also have begun doing a fair amount of traveling and love to take pics. The camera I have now is a super compact Pentax.

A great point was made earlier about the size and weight of the camera. I know I am never going to become a professional and I do not want a 20 pound weight around my neck on vacations so this should help me narrow it down some.

Your help so far has been GREAT! Thank you.

I should also add that my Pentax Optio is not too hot. I clearly want to set up to the next level... probably a big step considering what I was using.

I use a Canon 20D and a Canon 60mm Macro lens with a Polarizing filter - Canon's Rebel XT uses the same electronics and is avaiable for way under $1000 the results would be the same than on my 20D.

The below picture was taken during day light in a cheapo $35 light tent with no editing in Photoshop except resizing and unsharp masking - I also don't consider myself a skilled photographer, more like a trial and error one....

156844-13513.jpg

I only use a Nikon 5400 (which I got for less than $200 years ago) it's got all the manual features and a decent nikor lense and while you wouldn't know it from my shots here (many of which are actually taken with a Canon A400 since I can't find my charger for the 5400 right now), I get great results out of it and 5MP is plenty for the sizes I print to.

But of the cameras my friends have that I have played with I have to strongly recommend the Canon prosumer line. Anything from the Rebel XT to the 30D (which is a bit out of your price range but worth looking at) crank out GREAT pictures, have a lot of flexibility with their control and are generally good quality work horses.

I would say a Rebel with a few lenses or a 20D (are those sub $1k yet?) would be a great bet for your price range.

Edited by Devedander

Buy the Sony Alpha 100....it's got more resolution than you'll ever need.....based on the Konica Minolta D5 ( which was a recommended Best Buy)....they've upgraded the chipset and turned it into an absolute Best Buy......Anti-Shake built into the body...instead of the lenses.....10+mp......and access to some of the best lenses ever....Minolta.....all new Sony lenses are re-badged Minolta lenses.....but there are many aftermarket makes such as Sigma / Tamron etc etc....which will give you cracking shots without splashing out big money on OEM lenses...the anti-shake feature will give up to two stops more in subdued lighting conditions......and depending on your lighting and lens....good watch photos as well.....!

156861-13505.jpg

156861-13506.jpg

156861-13507.jpg

156861-13508.jpg

156861-13509.jpg

156861-13510.jpg

156861-13511.jpg

Edited by TTK

As Oliver says.....the 7D if you can get one will do everything you need......and is a great buy.....they're not expensive now....all my shots within the past 18 months have been with a 7D.....prior shots are with a Dimage 7i......which I still have and is a great camera also...but discontinued now.

non-SLR go with canon

no one beats canon pound for pound in the non-pro market for quality of camera

If you want a nice portable digital camera - i recomend the the SD800IS - http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sd800i...0&scoring=p you can't go wrong for 350 bucks

156921-13492.jpg

i have the 700IS, its awesome, you can see my photos if you click on my collection in my signature

the 800 has a built in wide angle lens. the IS is image stabilization which is just ok for photos, BUT its AWESOME for video.

you won't need a video camera anymore- just a couple of big memory cards, the 800 will accept 4 gb thats like an hour and a half of video!!!!

i had a really nice sony, but my brother wiht an older camera always had better color in his photos.

If your going SLR - different world, but they are heavy and less portable. But you will never get a non- slr to give you the color depth and quality of an SLR

:) ENJOY!!!

I disagree. Panasonic have the non-SLR middle ground quality for me. It's all about the glass.

never used a panasonic, only canon sony nikon and osme crap brands

so to be revised - :) in the same camera class, its been my experience that canon's photos are better colors are better, pound for pound. based upon the models i have reviewed :)

glass is very important. bigger your glass, better your photos (keeping all else =)

compact = less quality - also, red eye is caused by the flash being too close to the lens. so on the tiny compact camera's like mine - you suffer in flash capabilities

the reviews are great, dpreview is great.

first pic your dealer - oh wait - first pick the class of camera you want, based upon size and quality and then find the best camera in your class

keep in mind that if you choose wisely you will have a complete video camera replacment as well

try www.bhphoto.com

their prices are VERY VERY good. I've been ordering from them for years.... except when i purchased the 8mp canon xt Dslr for the g/f (i got that from dell with a coupon- ended up dirt cheap).

if you go with a DSLR - glass is very important. dont skimp out on it. Go for in the very least the middle class lenses... avoid the cheapo starter lenses. These avrg 300-600 dollars. If you have the money, the high end lenses are around 1000 + dollars :o

I purchased a 1200 dollar lens and gave me 500 dollar lens to the g/f. She still shoots better photos than me, so it goes to show you equipment can only do so much.

Regular consumer level Digital cameras like the dimage are also really good. I've seen amazing macro photos only to discover it was done with P&S cameras :)

Edited by crick0234