When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproofing, Superlume services?

strinos

Hi there - 

I am looking to purchase an Omega Planet Ocean Chrono or a Breitling Superocean Chrono from one of the trusted dealers or if I can find one from the marketplace forum.  

I was wondering how I could get it serviced.  Upon purchasing, I think it would probably be a good idea to have it cleaned and lubed as well as superlumed and waterproofed.  I just have no idea how i would go about getting that done.  

Please let me know what you think. 

Hi strinos, I'm surprised that you've been a member here for over seven years but you didn't know about Rolexman and MD2020.

Both are fantastic watchmakers.

If you are based in the EU, then Rolexman would be your best bet. He's based over in the Netherlands and is very busy so you'll need to pm him to request a time-slot. I am not sure what services Rolexman offers besides servicing however you can ask.

If you are based in the States then MD2020 is your man. MD is based in Chicago and does everything, and from what I hear, he's superb!

If you are based elsewhere then I'm not too sure.

Hope this helps mate.

Hi there - 

I am looking to purchase an Omega Planet Ocean Chrono or a Breitling Superocean Chrono from one of the trusted dealers or if I can find one from the marketplace forum.  

I was wondering how I could get it serviced.  Upon purchasing, I think it would probably be a good idea to have it cleaned and lubed as well as superlumed and waterproofed.  I just have no idea how i would go about getting that done.  

Please let me know what you think. 

Please be aware that reps with chrono buttons are very hard in general to waterproof as they are not constructed the same as gens. It can be done but it could be expensive and not all that reliable. JMHO

It would be nice to know where you are located? if in the USA, there is another modder here who does lume and services watches. Vac is located in Florida, he has a page here in the repair section and modification services forum.

Yes - I am in the US - Specifically in NYC. 

I'm sorry to hear that Mike is ill.  Hope it's nothing serious.  

Good to know about the chronos and challenge to waterproof.  I'll definitely factor that into my choice of rep.  

I'll check out Vac's page and reach out when necessary.  

Thanks for all the feedback

Mike,

Glad to see you up and around. Don't try to set the world on fire for a few days. If you get tired, immune system goes down, you could be right back in the same boat. So take it easy for the rest of the week, you'll feel better for it. and tell your mom thanks for the nice shoutbox post. I've got to say, when the chips are down, Mom's are the ones that always come through!!!

I am glad you are feeling better, Mike.

Everyone please -- learn from history -- don't burn new guys out .. when someone hangs up a shingle and begins to accept work, it is so easy for them to become the next hot new thing .. then the avalanche of resulting work burns them out.

Do not be so quick to scream in unison "USE THE NEW GUY HE RULES" .. it's the fastest way to make sure he is buried.

Present all the options to people who ask. It spreads out the load on the craftsmen who work in our community.

Vaccum in Florida does anti-reflective coatings, complex chrono servicing, and really top-flight lume work.

Katt in Minnesota does not do any chronograph movements but he is skilled, friendly and prompt. He has been a trusted watch technician on the RWI board for a few years.

MD2020 in Illinois has an already established Gen watch repair business and I've used his services on a couple of my favorite pieces so far. I've also used Katt and Vaccum in the past.