When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub Help

imajedi

My rotor keeps coming off my TC sub (see pic). The first time it happened I took it apart and squeezed the rotor back together with the gear and portion that appears to press fit with the rotor. That didn't work because it came off again. My question is how is the rotor supposed to attach to the gear below. I can't see any thing other than a press fit to the silver ring. This seems like a really stupid idea though. Why would they make that all one piece? Maybe mine is broken? Any advice about how these two pieces are supposed to go together and how I can permanently fix mine would be greatly appreciated. post-44349-137555150423.jpg

the winding gear is press-fit to the rotor weight. If you are certain that the first time you fixed this that you seated the weight completely, then your rotor's hole is probably too big and you have a problem. Perhaps a touch of red loc-tite, and wait until it sets hard before re-mounting the rotor and gear assembly.

Thanks guys. I pressed it back in again and put it back together. If it comes off again it getting glued.

One problem with pressing it in is that if it's not seated perfectly, it rubs in certain places when it spins around. Makes a sound and is annoying.

A couple other comments: I tried switching the assembly out from a noob sub I have but the gears didn't mesh. I'm guessing because my TC has an ETA and the noob has Asian clone. It's really annoying that they cloned movements and didn't go 1 to 1.

Also I noticed that on my TC the screw that holds the rotor gear assembly on never actually becomes tight. If I keep tightening it, it will just keep spinning like it is stripped although it does hold the rotor in place. On my noob sub, the screw tightens.

A couple other comments: I tried switching the assembly out from a noob sub I have but the gears didn't mesh. I'm guessing because my TC has an ETA and the noob has Asian clone. It's really annoying that they cloned movements and didn't go 1 to 1.

I've never had a problem assembling a clone rotor to an ETA movement or vice versa. Based on the other information you supplied I'm guessing there's something else wrong with yours.

I've never had a problem assembling a clone rotor to an ETA movement or vice versa. Based on the other information you supplied I'm guessing there's something else wrong with yours.

Hmmm, maybe I just wasn't patient enough.  It certainly didn't fall right into place.  I tried to move it around to get it to mesh but it wouldn't seem to.  Probably pilot error in this case.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you exchange the whole auto winding assembly? Make sure the new one (from the dead movement) is cleaned and oiled propperly.

Yep, had to replace the entire thing because the threads were stripped in the hole for the rotor screw.  Put the new one on and it spins incredbily smooth free and clear of any interferences.  Put the watch on the winder to make sure it's working and it started right up in only a few turns.    Thanks for everyone's input.