When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stem on DG 3804B

preacher62

What is the proper way to remove the stem on the above mentioned movement? I have two of them and they have an opening below the pin on which the set lever rides, but nothing there appears to cause the stem to release.

Unlike the ETA movements where pin is part of the set lever and it extend through the plate, the 3804 has a pin staked in the plate and the set liver rides on the pin.

Also...if anyone knows of an exploded schematic of this movement I would pay money for it.

I will appreciate the help...and thanks!

The stem is released the same way... It's a recessed pin. Make sure the stem is in the winding position before you pull it out. You don't want to rebuild the keyless works if it goes wrong. Trust me

Yes, I've already done that. It's a real balancing act.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tip : on the DG3804 when pushing back in place the stem, press the pin at the same time you push the stem in

The pin on a 3804 is not part of the set lever like on other movements. The pin is a press fit into the main plate. The set lever has a drilling in it that just sets down over the pin. The pin doesn't appear to move. I have pushed on the pin with some degree of force and it does not move. I have two 3804 B's and both are made this way.

Just a note...this is not made like 2813 or an ETA. The 2813 comes right out just like an ETA.

Still need help.

• 1 year later...

Thank you, but that's not the issue. I can even get the stem out in the first place. This particular DG3804 is as described below...

"The pin on a 3804 is not part of the set lever like on other movements. The pin is a press fit into the main plate. The set lever has a drilling in it that just sets down over the pin. The pin doesn't appear to move. I have pushed on the pin with some degree of force and it does not move."

The pin may be 'hung up' or stuck. Try lightly/gently 'pumping' the pin in and out with a 0.80 screwdriver or something similar. I had one that was stuck in the 'down' or 'in' position, the stem wouldn't lock in - opposite of your issue - and managed to get it to spring back up. 

Well, I really appreciate all the advice. It worked well. NOW, got it all together and working,,,BUT,,, one attempt to set the second hand and the center shaft (in the canon pinion) went down too low. Now it won't hold the second hand. WTF!!! Any suggestions???

First, which method worked? 

I think that the movement now needs to be serviced. The best method I've found for servicing a DG movement is to de-case the movement.  Place the movement on your work bench. Face side up. Then take a 40oz ball pein hammer and smash the SOB to bits. Use a hand wisk and dust pan to collect the mess, Deposit in the trash (not recycle - we might get some of it back from China). Buy a new one. This past April they were $27.95 from Borel, but now I see they went up a bunch at both Borel and Frei, but still cheap. 

https://storefront.julesborel.com:8443/storefrontCommerce/itemDetail.do?itm_id=343331&itm_index=0&orderQty=1&cust_item=DG%203804-B%20MVT

http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html

• Like 2

There is also a pin on the other side of that wheel that is sitting in a jewel so no it's not possible unless you pushed the jewel out the other side of the movement, which I doubt is possible either.

All movements are similar to the one pictured. The center wheel is the large one fitted into the jewel:

IMG_7658.JPG

I'm going for the broken centre seconds pivot. The pivot is tiny and when it breaks off you 'think' the post that is remaining is the pivot.

Look through a magnifier and follow the post down. Can you see a very tiny change (step) in thickness? if not then the pivot has gone.

Edited by ceejay

• 2 years later...
On October 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM, JoeyB said:

I think that the movement now needs to be serviced. The best method I've found for servicing a DG movement is to de-case the movement.  Place the movement on your work bench. Face side up. Then take a 40oz ball pein hammer and smash the SOB to bits. Use a hand wisk and dust pan to collect the mess, Deposit in the trash (not recycle - we might get some of it back from China). Buy a new one. This past April they were $27.95 from Borel, but now I see they went up a bunch at both Borel and Frei, but still cheap. 

https://storefront.julesborel.com:8443/storefrontCommerce/itemDetail.do?itm_id=343331&itm_index=0&orderQty=1&cust_item=DG%203804-B%20MVT

On October 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM, JoeyB said:

That quick tutorial on servicing the dg3804 is pure gold.  Made me laugh!