When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC LV Sub Type 3 Review

tc670207

TC-LV-Sub-Type-3-01_zps5dd21097.jpg

This is my latest built. I called it TC LV Sub Type III. It's basically what I have been passing on to members for the past few months. I just haven't had time to update it in my blog until now. It features TC 2824 movement, TC Date Wheel Overlay V3, and TC 93250 V4 bracelet, and TC Sub Bezel Assembly with my custom made TC click spring.

First thing, apologies for the lengthy turnaround time to members who placed orders on TC LV Sub in the past couple of months due to the development on TC DWO V3. But the way TC DWO V3 turned out is nothing short of the most gen like Date Wheel Overlay, a terrific milestone to the pursue of the perfect sub. I am sure we can all agree the wait was well worth it.

It was not long after I post the progress update "TC DWO V3 Completed" I found out I was running low on the good 16610LV dials. For those who follows my blog you all should remember the same incident happened about an year ago on the 16610 dials while I was building TC 16610 Subs for members.

The shortage of good 16610 dials and the reluctance of the dial maker making new rep dials, read "Bumps in the road, 16610 dial maker" lead to the discontinuation of TC 16610, leaving me with only TC 16610LV to offer to members.

Without the good dials, there will be no use of hands, watch cases, bracelets, movements, and other parts.

Earlier this year, I recommended members who wanted a classic 16610 Submariner to buy a pack of 6 16610 dials (damaged) from me to complete the build by themselves or by a modder on the forum. Read "$35 Damaged 16610 dial." I did not wish to take on the dial picking/piecing job because it is VERY time consuming. As I'm now out of good 16610LV dials, a strange feeling struck me that my little hobby which has supported me since my divorce might come to a halt unless I can solve this dial supply issue.

I spent a few nights sorting and  picked out only a few dozen 16610 and 16610LV dials without scratches or dents on the surface from the rejected ones which can be used as the base. Those dials without scratches or dents on the surface all have bad indices or misaligned 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock indices. I took off the bad indices and replaced them from the rest of the rejected dials with good indices.
TC-LV-Sub-Type-3-02_zps9bcc962d.jpg

Piecing together a good 16610 or a 16610LV dial from the knock offs consumes a lot of time. An extra hour and half to two hours is needed to piece together just one good dial. But once it is done, it looks just as good as a brand new one.
TC-LV-Sub-Type-3-03_zps6f0e1425.jpg

TC LV Sub Type 3 is a great platform for members to put on a gen 16610 black or 16610LV green insert. It has all the gen features, gen profile, all it need is a good insert. I would recommend members to get a gen 16610 or 16610LV insert. Gen insert doesn't come cheap, but IMHO, it's worth every penny when put on a TC Sub.
TC-LV-Sub-Type-3-04_zpsbf2c4456.jpg

TC-LV-Sub-Type-3-05_zps8609a1eb.jpg

Type 3's TC Sub bezel assembly is gen insert ready. No sanding or trimming the insert rim is needed. The catch is you'll need a press tool to complete the job. Many members have installed gen inserts on their TC Subs.
TC-LV-Sub-Type-3-06_zpsd5a6ab36.jpg

For more pictures of TC Sub with gen inserts, take a look at Member reviews of TC Subs.

After note: Since I decided to take on picking/piecing the dials I am now able to offer both 16610 and 16610LV TC Subs in limited supplies until they run out. I will designate the 16610 version as TC 16610 Sub version V or TC Sub V5. TC Sub V5 is equivalently spec-ed as TC LV Sub Type III except TC Sub V5 houses the classic 16610 dial and hands.

TC

8/17/13

• Like 1

I absolutely do agree with you. I only couldn't decide wheather i like more the old classy 16610 or the newer fat lug ceramic 116610. The truth is, that there is no proper 116610LN rep. Both BP or noob v2 have some odd flaws and they are not even close to gen. TC's 16610LV is the best gen like Sub out there and that is why i decided to stay classy and enjoy 16610's matured style :-) And all the current updates like DWO V3, V4 clasp (which is also nicer than the one on the new style 97200), TC's movement with H4 cannon pinion...those are the things that persuaded me to buy TC Sub. At this point i think that i am going to contact T soon.

I think you can be stuck between the two. You can even be stuck between a sub or SD.

I have even been stuck between pams and subs. And if I wear the sub, I am: yes this is it. Then I wear the PAM, and I am yes this is it!

I am probably going to sell my BK BP sub-c to go to a 16610 again....I am always stuck!

I recently got a vintage Red Sub 1680 tropic dial from Angus - I am absolutely in love with this watch.

I put it next to my older Sub C (grayish bezel, yuck) and it makes the newer style Sub look cheap, vulgar, blingy.

The classic design elements are all exaggerated and out of proportion.

The vintage Sub is a beautiful example of superb industrial design, every element is just right.

i am completely sold on the classic Subs now.

"I only couldn't decide whether I like more the old classy 16610 or the newer fat lug ceramic 116610."

I will always see the matte dial 16800 as the classic sapphire submariner with the 16610 next in line with lug hole cases ranking above blind lug cases.

I do not consider the ceramics to be 'tool watches' because of the 'Crack Me Up!' bezel inserts.

"The vintage Sub is a beautiful example of superb industrial design, every element is just right."

I agree. Compared to the 5512/13 and 1680 the sapphire models simply are not 'real submariners' to me. The older acrylic models were made by a much different rolex watch co than what it has become and today's models are made for a different type of customer.

Same for the DJ...a sapphire 36mm or 41mm DJ does not compare to a nice 1603 'pie pan' as far as I am concerned.

Imho...

Acrylics = Cool Vintage Watches!  :snorkel:

Sapphires = Night Club Watches!  :pimp:

Ceramics = Bling!   Crack!   Double Dammit!!  :shock:  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$sssssssssssssss!!!

(Vintage Acrylics' = 1520/30/60/70 powered models, no 1030 models because of hard to find parts.)