When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting Iwc Loving Patient

thedoctor

In the office today I had a woman who was wearing a Patek 24. I commented on how nice the watch was and how I like Patek Philippe. She told me that she collects nice watches but her husband is a major watch collector. I guess he's the moderator for IWC's forum and he own's a bunch of rare ones as well as other choice watches like A. Lange and Patek. People have stopped him in Europe and guessed who he was b/c of the watch he was wearing. They must appreciate IWC more in Europe than the US. He's a lawyer. I guess I'm in the wrong business since I was sitting across the examining table from her sporting my fake Rolex. Hey, but it's an MBW. I bet he doesn't have one of those!

I guess I'm in the wrong business since I was sitting across the examining table from her sporting my fake Rolex. Hey, but it's an MBW. I bet he doesn't have one of those!

What kind of Dr r u? Im in med school at the moment. Maybe you're just in the wrong specialty? LOL

My father, a physician of over 39 years has been wearing a cheap quartz watch for years. I bought him a Sinn 810 (Bell & Ross Hydro) 3 years ago...he still has no interest about watches, and does not care what is on his wrist, as long as it has a second hand (to tell pulse).

My mom bought him a BEAUTIFUL Baume et Mercier a while back...I am not a fan of yellow gold, but this is one watch I like. Its paper thin, hand wound, plain matt silver dial with stick markers just at 3, 6, 9 and 12. Its so clean and tasteful. He only wears it for special occasions. which is only a few times a year. Its a shame, its a beautiful watch.

Well, being honest, in many lands of Europa, the Rolex is just for snobs, not for very richt people. It is what we cal a "I want, but I can´t". Here you see always Rolex, it is clear, but in a really good jewerlly, they have a normal position. If you go to Wempe (here in stuttgart) rolex or Omega do not have a priority position.

As most of the watch makers are in Europa, there is another sensibility with watches (for most of the people, alaso here in EU is the same an IWC than a Festina, they do not see the difference between a quarz and a mechanical). I mean, the people that know about watches (and have the money), will go with Glashutte, A. Lange und Sönne, etc (even they are not swiss watches), Breget, etc.

It will be funny to see, in the rep forums, how many EU members buy IWC, and how many in the USA. I think we will have a surprise.

I think it is also diffrent mentallity about what is wealthy in EU and in EEUU. Different sensibilities.

It will be funny to see, in the rep forums, how many EU members buy IWC, and how many in the USA. I think we will have a surprise.

I'm in the EU. My general rotation has 3 IWCs and 2 Rolexes. I have two other Rolexes in a box, but they're not there to be worn. When I buy a Gen, it'll probably be an IWC. :D

I believe some brands just work better in Europe, and this is not shocking.

I definitely see a lot more IWC's and other elegant brands in Europe than the U.S. anyhow. I still see very few people with Breguet or Patek. Before I ever came here and there was a whole proliferation of new expensive brands I would have grouped the manufacturers (going from top to bottom) 1 - Patek, Breguet and VC; 2 - JLC, IWC, UN; 3 - AP and ???; 4 - Rolex, Panerai and Omega. I hadn't ever noticed Sinn or Fortis. Then again I am old and old school. :lol: But I also have learned about many other brands here. I know I have forgotten a lot of brands but this is what comes to mind.

Thedoctor-

I see a fair number of doctors and very few wear expensive watches to work. And I know some of these guys make seven figures. Standard issue seems to be an old Rolex Sub. I lawyas wondered if they got it as a gift when they graduated med school. Occasionally I will see the elective MD's (Plastics, dermatology, ortho, etc.) wearing something beyond Rolex. They may well wear fancier watches outside the office but I don't see them. :)

SO I work in a large multispecialty clinic that people fly to from all over the world for their care. Here are a few watch anecdotes from my time here:

We did a heart transplant on a patient from the middle east. The patient waited inhospital for a month or so on inotropes prior to getting a match, so he got to know a lot of the nurses and MDs. After the surgery, things went well. Upon discharge, the patient gifted all the nurses and some of the docs who had cared for him during his hospitalization with a Fortis Fleiger Chronograph (34mm for the ladies, 40mm for the gents). Over 50 watches!

I cardioverted a guy last week who came from California for management of his atrial fibrillation. I noticed his watch and asked him about it just before the procedure. "Ain't that purdy?" he said when I noted out loud that that sure was a beautiful A. Lange & Sohne LangeMatik Perpetual he was wearing. He said he saw it in Tourneau in Vegas one time and he liked it so much he bought it on the spot. His wife was mad because the Pateks she had given him over the years just sat in a drawer. The Platinum/Black LangeMatik Perpetual was his daily beater. Painful...

Gotta run. Maybe more later!

YH :cc_jockey:

I'm an orthopaedic surgeon, so I guess I could go out and buy a gen Rolex or Panerai or IWC. I got into reps when I started practice about 2 1/2 years ago. I'm making much more than I was when I started. I have so many reps I like that I feel that if I bought a gen, I would want to wear it all the time to justify the cost, so I would keep the reps on the shelf. I don't want them to feel lonely or rejected. My partners all wear crappy watches. The most expensive watches I've seen worn by doctors are usually TT subs. I did see one doctor making hospital rounds sporting a red sub, which looked pretty genuine to me. I trained with a super successfull hand surgeon who had several Patek's and a Lange. The average doctor that wears more than a Seiko wears a Tag.

YellowHat:

I heard stories like that before. One of the top cardiac hospitals is not too far from me (its actually were my father is on staff, he's a cardiologist too). A few years ago a guy handed out Rolex datejusts...he was from the middle east too...Atleast the money I pay for gas is ultimately going towards watches?

I'm pretty excited now as I read your post about cardioversion and inotropes. I fully understand what your saying LOL. Cardio was my best "block in physio. I have endocrine & finals in 2 weeks :(

thedoctor:

I think its true that the average doc does not wear an expensive watch. But neither does the majority of the population. Most people cannot tell the difference between a Seiko and a Sinn. I do not recall any of my father's friends or partners wearing a nice watch.

I have some expensive watches...but I rarely wear them. The watch which I have been wearing on a daily basis for about 3 years has been my Seiko "black monster." At $150, I think it is the best watch I own. It puts your average Rolex to shame.

What I can't stand is how a former dentist of mine wore a 2-tone Rolex datejust. I hated how that watch would dangle in front of my eyes while he was trying to find a tooth to drill on. (I have 1 cavity, my teeth are perfect, other than my bruxism).

I think it was tasteless of him. Everytime I saw that watch I felt likeche was asking me: "Want a root canal? you don't need one, but I want to buy another watch."

Last time I have been to that dentist was over 8 years ago.

Thank god my GF of over 6 years is a dentist. He favorite watch is a pink Swatch I bought her :) It was a special edition I bought at the Place Vendome Swatch boutique. It a pink jelly swatch which had a pink plastic flower on the strap, but the flower fell off :( . I believe the watch cost me about $50.

@RageRover,

So if your GF is a dentist she must be into oral stuff, right? That's a good thing.

My wife is an Ob/gyn. I guess she must like vaginas, by that same reasoning.

I hear what you're saying about the dangling Rolex. I sometimes feel that way when I wear my red sub to the office. I'm afraid patients might think I'm money hungry. I am a fan of money, but they don't need to know that. I tend to try to keep my watch tucked under my shirt sleeve when I'm seeing people if I'm wearing something like that.

My own experience traveling between the US and Europe and eastern europe is that there is much more awareness of the IWC's, AP's, Glashutes, etc. in Europe than the US. I've been in Bulgaria for a couple of weeks and see IWC's, Pateks, a lot. haven't seen one Breitling, Omega, etc., but saw one Rolex.

Lot's of AD's with high end brands that we rarely see in the states (but see rep's of, on these forums).