When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Community's Help - Is this Superlume?

marrickvilleboy

Hi all,

Bought a dial off Dan via the sales forum.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/161949-sold-new-seaneta-swiss-16610-sub-dial/

Was told it was superlume in the advertisement - when I received it, watchmaker confirmed it was just standard lume. I am comparing the lume against a genuine seamaster which is superlume - seems like the difference is obvious?

Can you guys help settle this for us?

thanks in advance.

Funny watchmaker you have...there aren't any "specs" regarding what is superlume and what not...

A Seiko Monster will always glow a lot brighter than most other watches and even brighter than your gen seamaster (had both so I can compare).

If the lume was okay for you by the time you bought the dial then it should be okay still...as far as I can read/see nothing changed on the dial meanwhile.

I'd say get rid of your watchmaker and  be happy with a rep dial that glows like yours...standard lume on an average rep dial is a lot worse than what you have and superlume on a rep dial is mostly like "standard" on gens (still...there isn't any specification what to call standard and what superlume or else)

:)

Not picking a side here, but I don't see any it listed as Superlumed in the original FS post.

Plus in the FS post, it has a lume shot, so you see what it looked like, before you bought it.

If the seller sent you a lume-shot before purchase and you still bought it, then it's now your's. Unless the picture

he sent you was of a different dial, then I wouldn't see a refund in order here.

Either resell it yourself if you're unhappy with it, or send it out for a brighter lume job.

Dave...

I'm not impressed by the lume photo, certainly isn't conclusive. There are lots of variables with lume shots, including the amount and intensity of the light that you expose the dial to, the amount of time that elapses between exposing the dial to light and actually taking the photo, and finally the quality of the photo, which in this case is pretty poor. I would suspect that the seller bought the dial as a superlumed dial, and sold it as such. If you want to prove or disprove the lume, expose the dial to intense light like  halogen or LED for a minute or two, take it inside a dark room, closet, etc. If it's superlumed, it will glow like a torch. leave the dial in the dark room, come back in and hour. If it's superlumed, it will still be glowing pretty brightly, if it's regular rep lume, it will have faded to a faint glow or no glow at all. Best bet, if you're not happy with the lume, send it off to someone and get it relumed. I really don't see that you have a case for a refund here, as you had a lume shot to look at before you purchased the dial. If you weren't happy wit the photo, you should have asked the seller for a better cleared photo of the lume before buying. 

If he showed you pictures prior to buying and you accepted it then its on you at this point.  Its the buyers due diligence to ask the questions and either accept or deny the item.  One thing to note is that there is substantially more lume material on the gen.  IMHO the sean dial looks good.  

No offense, you may or may not be new at all this, but sean dials are well known and there is nothing dishonest in his description.

For 65$ and 20$ shipping I wouldn't be making such a fuss and be trying to impeach a forum member. The dial is worth what you paid.

Sean's "superlumed" or anyones for that matter- rep parts....do not compare to what you would get with a genuine Rolex, Omega, or even Seiko.

• Like 1

the rep factories may actually use superlume, the problem is they use a thin application and that leads to the lessened "glow". lume is very much quantity related. watches that have more lume on the dial indices and hands will glow brighter and longer than watches with tiny dots of lume and thin strips of lume on the hands, like the difference between dive watches with big wide plongeur or sword hands, and dress watches with narrow delicate hands.

Ok thanks for clearing this up guys.

Though, honestly, it looks like regular lume to me - seems as though anything that glows is now "Superlume" and FYI, the two watches in that picture were held under the same light so no illusions here.

Guess this will be up for sale soon!

Mods - pls delete when you get a chance.

I did a little research some time ago and didn't find any specifications regarding superlume. It seems to be a well known term within the rep world but will be used for every lume that is more than the "usual" rep lume...so no definition, nothing specific...