When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC for PAM 299k through Toro

Uberscreamer

Just put in an order for one of the PAM 299k's that Toro has on clearance, and I am so far very impressed with his fast response time and quality of the QC pics he sent me.  The gain of 13 seconds is a little higher than I had hoped, but fully acceptable, and I hope it will settle a little bit during wear.  I have accepted the watch, and am now preparing myself for the grueling wait for it to arrive.  I am dreaming now to see this on my door step by the middle of next week, but we shall see.  I have faith!

post-52117-0-76014000-1377854183_thumb.jpost-52117-0-43706700-1377854195_thumb.jpost-52117-0-93579100-1377854201_thumb.jpost-52117-0-20114000-1377854213_thumb.j

@ sahboo:   I believe that the new site page was listed in one of the more recent postings (in the last month or so) in the trusted dealer section, after the previous site was closed for illegal activities (still makes me laugh a bit).    Anyways, the current site is as follows >>

http://torobravos2013.com/

Toro has a bunch of watches on special there, and if I did not have limited funds right now I could have easily dropped around $1,000 on what I want.  I will have to be satisfied with the 299 for now...  I don't think that will be too hard for me ;)

Oh and take bracelet off (easy) add strap and you have a completely different watch. 2 for the price of 1

Oh man, the possibilities that come with multiple straps are endless!  I already have one of my Assolutamentes ready for it when the time comes, and I also have one of the older style bracelets ready to be swapped should I be curious.  This will be my first PAM with the new style pins so it should be interesting to see just how effortless it is to do a swap like this.  This weekend I had better find some distractions or the anticipation for this piece will drive me crazy.  I just may have to start working on a new strap for this baby, and give it some crazy colored stitches.

The new release is OK but requires 2 hands, You have to push the button in and at the same time press out the bar. Requires 2 thin tools. Personally I prefer the easy unscrewing of a bar with a single screwdriver

Alright, I'm beginning to see the light through the clouds now, gentlemen.  After a 3 day layover at customs in Chicago, she looks to be on her way home...  I'm guessing she should be on my porch by Monday.  I am frothing at the mouth now, lol.

Well, the watch arrived Saturday afternoon, and I have been wearing it non-stop.  I really do love this piece, regardless of whether the placement of the 'L Swiss Made L' is correct or not for the K model.  I am actually thoroughly impressed with these new tapered bracelets, and am very surprised at just how close to Gen it is.  The polish between the links is ridiculously well done, and the brush work is otherwise exactly as Gen.  All in all, this was a great buy, and I recommend for anyone on the fence to go for it.  I don't think anyone could ask for a better deal for the 299K...

That said, I do have one slight concern.  The pin system for the bracelet works exactly as it should on the 12 O'clock side, but the pin will not release as it should on the opposite.  I press the release pin down, and it gives as it should, but no matter how hard I push with the tool, the retaining pin does not budge at all.  I even actually broke the one end of the plastic tool that Toro sent with it, I was pushing so hard.  Eventually I wrapped one end of my steel bracelet removal tap with cloth (so as not to scratch the polished surface of the pin) and still could not get the cross pin to budge.  This is a little frustrating as I had hoped to swap the bracelet to a strap at some point, but don't know what to do to get this thing off.  This is not an end of the world situation, as the rest of the watch, including the timing, has been impeccable.  Just a little lost, is all...

The other vendors dont call it a K series, then the dial is correct. Watch is exactly as per current 299 on Panarai website and is easily a super rep

Sounds like the pin release is broken on one of yours, although on mine it took me a few attempts to get the position and timing right. You need 2 tools and have to push the release button in at exactly the same time you push the pin out and a plastic tool won't cut the mustard, it needs some force and a metal pin. I don't see it as an improvement over a screw bar at all

I would try using a screw type bracelet pin pusher on it

The other vendors dont call it a K series, then the dial is correct. Watch is exactly as per current 299 on Panarai website and is easily a super rep

Sounds like the pin release is broken on one of yours, although on mine it took me a few attempts to get the position and timing right. You need 2 tools and have to push the release button in at exactly the same time you push the pin out and a plastic tool won't cut the mustard, it needs some force and a metal pin. I don't see it as an improvement over a screw bar at all

I would try using a screw type bracelet pin pusher on it

Thanks for the response.  I was using a bracelet pin pusher (the removal tap thing I mentioned, forgot what they were actually called, lol) and still to no avail.  I pushed both at the same time, held the release for a longer time while pushing, etc.  It pushes freely otherwise, like there isn't anything wedged in that would catch the pin and prevent it from moving, so I am not sure what the deal is.  For this reason, a screw bar would be much easier to deal with than this set-up.