When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super YM build and opinions

irolexu

I have successfully done a super rep 16610 with everything gen minus the case and bracelet and am on to my next big ticket project. Super franken 16622 yachtmaster. I'm a little bit on the fence but at the same time I've already acquired the donor watch (thanks ceocorona!) and gen YM dial courtesy of mymanmatt. I'm wondering if I am in over my head on this one as I would most likely daily wear the YM. Here is a list of parts I have access to and plan on using!

(Need to buy)

Genuine 3135

Genuine crystal w/ LEC

Genuine bezel w/ platinum insert

Genuine retaining ring (same as 16610)

Genuine YM hands (anyone have a set or can get it?)

My rep parts would be as followed:

Sean case

TC bracelet

My biggest fear is this watch might have to much bling for a daily watch but I've always been in love with the 16622 from a distance until now. Let me know your opinions on your thoughts and please if you have any super franken YMs please share them! I'd love to see what the finished product will look like

• Like 1

I think that this build is a great idea... BUT... I thought about doing the same thing with the YM I now have for sale.

You can buy a GEN for roughly $6,000-$6,500. By the time you source the remaining GEN parts (movt, bezel, hands, etc.) I wouldn't doubt that you will be very close to a GEN price. Which is the situation I am in with the 16803 build.

Just a thought... but I hope it all works out because I know it will be an amazing watch. Good Luck!

You're welcome buddy. I really enjoy the classy yet sporty look of the entire watch. This is a watch that attracts the casual watch enthusiast. In my personal opinion you have the most important part to any successful YM build and that's the dial. No rep dial comes close! Next is the need for gen hands or having the lume match the dial.

Here is my YM build...

-Bk WM9 YM

-Swiss ETA 2824

-GEN dial

-GEN crystal

-GEN crown and tube

-BK DWO

-WM9 hands superlume by PBdad to match gen dial

WSO sells a white gold bezel insert.. I've had my eye on it for a while. I wonder if it'll have more "character" then the stock insert. I have a gen bezel assembly (crystal retaining ring and bezel). Wonder if the bezel can be polished to look like a YM part?

Edit: To continue on what wiseguy said; going gen movement almost immediately brings you into gen price territory. I'm starting to dig these clone 3135 movements.

Edited by ceocorona

I don't see a TC bracelet working on a build like this- you need the short clasp and polished center links, there's also the way the SELs hang out past the lugs which is unique to the YM.

This older P serial has some nice pics to look at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Rolex-Yacht-Master-S-Steel-Platinum-16622-P-Serial-/261275564940?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3cd53cbb8c#ht_6932wt_1398

A few years back I saw one of the WM9s and it was very nice- it would be a good start with all of the gen parts you mentioned and then a 3135. Guess the WM9 case would have to be the V3 if you used it.

Corona, beautiful franken YM. That sounds like my original build that got passed around the forums.I looked at the WSO white gold insert and the font is completely wrong. Given the state of your franken (and IRolexU wishlist) I would urge the two of you to only accept/ consider a full gen bezel. That's all I had left to do anyway. There's one or two sellers that occasionally list them on eBay for about $1500-1700. Lastly, as an FYI - if either you are concerned about weight - the old WM9 cases use brass movement holders. The YM reps tend to be a tad lighter than the gen however with the brass holders in the WM9 it puts the full weight of the rep watch on par with gen. Even if the insert isn't platinum. Here's a photo of mine just before I sold it...3ejarepa.jpg4ugeha7y.jpg

You're welcome buddy. I really enjoy the classy yet sporty look of the entire watch. This is a watch that attracts the casual watch enthusiast. In my personal opinion you have the most important part to any successful YM build and that's the dial. No rep dial comes close! Next is the need for gen hands or having the lume match the dial.Here is my YM build...-Bk WM9 YM-Swiss ETA 2824-GEN dial-GEN crystal-GEN crown and tube-BK DWO-WM9 hands superlume by PBdad to match gen dialWSO sells a white gold bezel insert.. I've had my eye on it for a while. I wonder if it'll have more "character" then the stock insert. I have a gen bezel assembly (crystal retaining ring and bezel). Wonder if the bezel can be polished to look like a YM part?Edit: To continue on what wiseguy said; going gen movement almost immediately brings you into gen price territory. I'm starting to dig these clone 3135 movements.
Edited by om3ga_guy

TC use to offer his YM bracelet and dial.

They are now sold I believe.

I don't see a TC bracelet working on a build like this- you need the short clasp and polished center links, there's also the way the SELs hang out past the lugs which is unique to the YM.

This older P serial has some nice pics to look at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Rolex-Yacht-Master-S-Steel-Platinum-16622-P-Serial-/261275564940?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3cd53cbb8c#ht_6932wt_1398

A few years back I saw one of the WM9s and it was very nice- it would be a good start with all of the gen parts you mentioned and then a 3135. Guess the WM9 case would have to be the V3 if you used it.

Corona, beautiful franken YM. That sounds like my original build that got passed around the forums.I looked at the WSO white gold insert and the font is completely wrong. Given the state of your franken (and IRolexU wishlist) I would urge the two of you to only accept/ consider a full gen bezel. That's all I had left to do anyway. There's one or two sellers that occasionally list them on eBay for about $1500-1700. Lastly, as an FYI - if either you are concerned about weight - the old WM9 cases use brass movement holders. The YM reps tend to be a tad lighter than the gen however with the brass holders in the WM9 it puts the full weight of the rep watch on par with gen. Even if the insert isn't platinum. Here's a photo of mine just before I sold it...3ejarepa.jpg

It is very possible that this is the same one, it would be funny if we sold watches and it had a log book ha.  I do not know of very many WM9 YMs franken'd to this level.  Its a gorgeous watch with the modifications mentioned.  I can't see myself bothering to source a gen bezel assembly and insert, the cost to value ratio for me isn't there.  As it stands its perfect IMO.

here again you are up against the classic dilema of cost/benefit ratio. it's really difficult to justify most of the contemporary Rolex builds if you have a budget that sticks to somewhere in the 30-40% of genuine cost. When you build a vintage like a DRSD, you are looking at a watch that in good condition will sell for 12-15k, so it's pretty easy to justify 3K on a build, but when you build a 16610 that sells every day for 4-5 k depending on condition, papers, etc. you can't spend 3K if you stick to your budget. Same with the 16613, they are selling for not a whole lot more than the 16610, so the same thing applies to them. i don't know about the YM, i never owned one, never particularly cared for them, just a little too blingy for me, but even if they are 9k, the most you cshould expect to spend is around 3-3.5k, That's not going to get you a gen movement, bezel assembly, dial, crown and hands. I always try (not always sucessfully!) to look down the road and look at what I would encounter if I should ever need to sell the watch. Am I going to take a huge beating to sell it, will I have to part it out to get most of my money back? unless you have lots of money and unlimited budgets, which most folks don't, you have to ask the hard questions before you get in over your head.

Keep in mind guys what I pay for gen parts isn't necessarily what you guys are paying. I'm in the epicenter of Rolex and lots of people who have access to genuine parts. I can build the yachtmaster with all gen parts mentioned in the ball park of 3k like I did my sub. My concern is am I going to love the watch everyday as I did my sub. I don't want it to be an occasional wearer. My other dream watch is a red 1680

here again you are up against the classic dilema of cost/benefit ratio. it's really difficult to justify most of the contemporary Rolex builds if you have a budget that sticks to somewhere in the 30-40% of genuine cost. When you build a vintage like a DRSD, you are looking at a watch that in good condition will sell for 12-15k, so it's pretty easy to justify 3K on a build, but when you build a 16610 that sells every day for 4-5 k depending on condition, papers, etc. you can't spend 3K if you stick to your budget. Same with the 16613, they are selling for not a whole lot more than the 16610, so the same thing applies to them. i don't know about the YM, i never owned one, never particularly cared for them, just a little too blingy for me, but even if they are 9k, the most you cshould expect to spend is around 3-3.5k, That's not going to get you a gen movement, bezel assembly, dial, crown and hands. I always try (not always sucessfully!) to look down the road and look at what I would encounter if I should ever need to sell the watch. Am I going to take a huge beating to sell it, will I have to part it out to get most of my money back? unless you have lots of money and unlimited budgets, which most folks don't, you have to ask the hard questions before you get in over your head.

Truer words were never spoken.

I have a friend with a gen YM, and he paid just at 4k for it, and another 900 for service. Your right, why spend this kind of money when you will get seriously beat up if you sell....and more to the point, if you do your research you can buy a good gen 16610 for 3.5-4k. 

Yeah I know it's not blue with plated gold parts, but a gen is a gen. Vintage makes more sense, and probably easier to sell..even if you part it out.