When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Simona Di Stefano - Strap maker of the Gods

panermaniac

By posting this, I am not saying by any means that I am not a noob to this wonderful hobby of ours. Yes, I have been around for a couple of years and I’ve done my fair share of reading, but when you take into consideration that fact that some of our illustrious members have been around since just after the dinosaurs died out and are now writing their 5000th posts, you will see I’m on the newer side of things. But I have noticed that our hobby seems to be in an upsurge as of late and some of our newer members seem to be missing out on some gems that some of us take for granted. One of these is Di Stefano straps of Florence, Italy.

Many of us know that Simona Di Stefano is, without a doubt, one of the most famous strap makers for Panerai watches. She and her family’s company have been able to reach this position by consistently producing straps without equal for as long as one can remember. These straps are still hand-made in Florence, Italy, by artisans whose skills were passed down from their forefathers. As it says on their website, “Simona Di Stefano is able to utilize her own personal experience of working for Officine Panerai, as well as calling upon the vast wealth of experience and leather know-how that only four generations of experts can collectively bring”. It’s no wonder that this company is able to produce such masterpieces.

One of the reasons that I decided to bring this to the forum was because of the recent dealings I had with Simona. A while back, I bought one of her straps from a forum member and finally found a watch suitable for it in the PAM360. I was so excited to mount it and loved the feel of it wrapped around my wrist. For days it became my number one go-to watch. You can imagine my dismay when I noticed that the strap was rubbing against the case between the lugs and was becoming discolored. I emailed Simona and she very promptly contacted me. She told me to send the strap back and she would see what she could do with it. This was when we realized that it was actually a prototype of a Classic Vintage Bruno. Because it was a prototype, it wasn’t quite up to the high standards that the finished products are. At this point I thought things were done, and maybe they would have been if I were dealing with any of the countless other strap makers, but Simona surprised me by offering to make a new strap while using the existing buckle. I would only have to pay for the leather itself. How many professional strap makers would have done that? I was pleasantly surprised to say the least and readily agreed.

Throughout the entire process, Simona took time out of her very busy schedule to return my emails (usually within an hour) and she made sure to ship the straps out before her company took a break in August. She is very pleasant to deal with and I wholeheartedly recommend buying as many of her gorgeous straps as you can. You will never regret it. Oh, it wouldn’t hurt me if you mentioned my name!

Here is the link to the website:

http://www.distefanostraps.com/

For any enquires or special orders, Simona can be reached by email here:

info@distefanostraps.com

If you fortunate enough to be in Italy, you could arrange to stop by and say hello here:

Simona Straps di SIMONA DI STEFANO - Via Pietro Tacca 3 - 50125 Firenze (FI) - Italy - P.IVA: IT05683150485 / Codice Fiscale DSTSMN60T52D612V
Tel. +39 338 5099368 - Fax +39 055 6818005

IMG_9497_zps284cf574.jpg
IMG_9486_zps7eb7a30a.jpg
IMG_9484_zps7cbb58e8.jpg
IMG_9487_zpseab4a8dd.jpg
IMG_9481_zps51d97f75.jpg
IMG_9479_zps69a053b8.jpg
IMG_9480_zps81432c2b.jpg
IMG_9483_zpsa711a089.jpg
IMG_9482_zps4819fb8c.jpg
IMG_9477_zps42efdc52.jpg
IMG_9478_zps72bbe4f3.jpg
IMG_9488_zpsb2817690.jpg
IMG_9496_zpse8d2e58d.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

I agree, they're not cheap but I do think you get what you pay for. When you have one of them in your hands, you understand. I believe they're every bit as well made, with comparable leather, as OEM, but at a fraction of the price.

@Mike - you put Swiss on Italian? That sounds like a bad pizza! Ha

JJ I love the ammo pouch straps

Totally agree with all the comments here ...DS is  great source for straps and the quality is extremely good.... I have owned many of them in my time with PAMs....

But I would just mention to anyone looking for PAM style straps .... that there are many options ... some as good as DS some better some much worse ;)

But if you want to try one I would suggest going for a used DS first.... A new order is expensive if you are unsure of what you want... and it does takes a little experience to pick something you will keep and enjoy...

There are also many other strap makers that are worthy of mention when talking PAM straps...and prices can vary significantly... DS does carry a premium because of its kudos with the Risti and its heritage...though not as over priced as MP !! ;). so remember to search and look around especially on gen forums...and especially on Risti and VP... you will find a world of knowledge and experience of straps for your PAMs

Great post mate :)