When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bought an Omega 565 movement.. Now what?

Big Dazza

Well I had the opportunity to buy an old Omega Seamaster watch with a 565 auto movement inside (needs servicing). The watch itself is knackered needing a new crystal, new crown and maybe stem, bracelet is shot and gold plating very worn. 

Should I try restoring the original Omega Seamaster or should I use the movement, buy a Omega 300 watchco type case (circa £900) and source a nos dial and hands etc to build a Seamaster vintage 300? 

I estimate a build for a Seamaster 300 to be around £1200.

go for the 300 mate.... if you are up for the budget

But I reckon you will find a lot of what you need about without going NOS from Ofrei cousins etc

but beore you commit check or have checked that movement..

I think the hardest thing to find is a complete case set. The movement runs only thing is the minute hand spins round when the watch is shaken (even after I made sure the hand is on tight) and the pull out date quick set doesnt work.

Im thinking even if I go Nos caseset from cousins, black datewheel, nos dial and hands, new stem and movement overhaul I should be within the £1200 budget (maybe optimistic)?

Personally I find Ofrei cheaper...and if you ask a US friend they can receive and then send on to avoid customs charges.. but there is also a way to order direct from Omega US in NY...there is a discussion on RG about it...and apparently its way cheaper from them for NOS... its in the Omega section

Then there are usual other sources such as Chrono24, eBay, and gen forums, a WTB can attract all sorts of sources...plus there is a guy in Oz that is one eBay that can source loads of Omega stuff ...you just have to PM him...I cant recall his name but he is defo selling a Vintage RM bezel at the moment on ebay so you can find that and contact him direct...

There are also several guys in UK and in US that do nothing else but deal in vintage Omega parts... they can source loads of stuff... but sometimes they need case numbers or part numbers it depends on model..

You can usual get part numbers off Ofrei but you can also contact Omega UK ..I have the parts dept direct email if you want it ... but if you contact them you need to have some basic details from a gen to say its yours ...ie sound like an owner or guy who has bought a broken gen who cant afford to go through Omega servicing... etc etc ;)

Dear friend. I think your question can be answered in different ways .  You have a movement (motor) nut not the (car) body. Depending on what you spent in the movement, I' say it would be easier to explore the Australian market in search of an AU 300. These watches are built with 100% gen parts, by people who somehow had access to literally humndreds if not thousands of Omega parts, and put together watches that are 100% gen, except fo their assembly plant.  I owned one which I regretfully sold a few years back, for a little more tah 2 K.

my 002 cent contribution for an answer to your question

Interesting project.

If I were you I'd firstly get the movement off and checked and serviced - even if you don't want to proceed you should be able to sell the serviced movement and make a profit?

Also if it needs unavailable parts, you'll find out now rather than after you've invested hundreds of $ on other parts.

Then I'd look out for older rep 300s with compatible cases that will take NOS dials and just go from there, using gen where you want :)