When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub Vintage Insert

tc670207

Caddell-Vintage-Insert-01_zps9365a278.jp

I want to make a quick update on TC gen spec insert project. Many members have emailed me regarding TC gen spec insert after seeing "Caddell Submariner x 2" and "Like My New 16610 Sub?"

"TC, is the insert finally done?"

I am sorry but the answer is no. But over the past few months I have made a huge leap forward.

In the past I have always recommended members to invest the money on a gen insert. It is probably the most worthy gen part to invest in my opinion because aftermarket pearls have always been a big give away.

To get the pearl right is not an easy task. After numerous trial and errors, I have finally completed the gen spec pearl. This is what I want to show you. Trial and error until it is done. Guess which one is gen?
Caddell-Vintage-Insert-02_zpsc0f9d9e7.jp

The most costly part of the insert project is the pearl and lume. The cost is US$55 each on average. The entire pearl and lume application are done here in the United States. To get it done right like a gen is something beyond the current capabilities of the Chinese.
Caddell-Vintage-Insert-03_zps4fb08fc0.jp

Caddell-Vintage-Insert-04_zps60c7bcc3.jp

As mentioned in "TC Gen Spec Bezel Insert Progress Update Part I", The pilot batch of aluminum insert was milled off spec causing the edge a tad thicker than gen. My supplier in China did not have the time to help over such trivia matter so I've decided to take matter into my own hands again and re-do the milling. This time the insert is milled perfectly to gen spec. However, I could not find any body to do the polishing job domestically so I sent the entire batch over to China.

The polisher could not get the polish done completely flat so the surface still look rounded. I thought I'd be [censored] but when I saw the final product I was pleasantly surprised. This finish looks and feels like the vintage Omega Seamaster 300 or a vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. It's a classic beauty!  It goes extremely well with the TC 16610 Sub V5 as well as the Caddell Submariners. I decided to call it "TC Vintage Insert".
Caddell-Vintage-Insert-05_zps5b76b540.jp

Thanks for reading.

TC

9/17/13

Lovely! That pearl looks really really good! I like the insert as well. The red hand on the sub with the negative date disc is excellent! I have a plan or this now.

Thanks for fighting the good fight Thomas!

+++++100 Ephry73....I love this project but I prefer the model with negative disc with cyclope

Edited by faberone75
  • Like 1