When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex case thicknesses?

watchguy51

The caseback on a Snowflake is different than a 551* but similar height.

I have a Superdome T39 crystal on mine (extra thick) so I measured to the top of the insert, which sticks up slightly above the top metal edge of the bezel, I got 11.05mm

I hope this helps?

• Like 1

Thank you very much. Very thin!  So that is the thickness from the bottom of the caseback to the top of the insert? Would you also be able to get the measurement for me for just the mid case? Without the bezel and case back?

Thanks again! I appreciate it.

The caseback on a Snowflake is different than a 551* but similar height.

I have a Superdome T39 crystal on mine (extra thick) so I measured to the top of the insert, which sticks up slightly above the top metal edge of the bezel, I got 11.05mm

I hope this helps?

I did my best without taking the watch apart. The thinnest point seems to be at the middle, so I measured opposite the crown on the 9:00 side. From the midcase bottom immediately beside the caseback lip to the midcase top right beside the bezel is 5.23mm

I did my best without taking the watch apart. The thinnest point seems to be at the middle, so I measured opposite the crown on the 9:00 side. From the midcase bottom immediately beside the caseback lip to the midcase top right beside the bezel is 5.23mm

thats exactly right,

these vintage cases are very, very thin, basic reps from basic dealers/makers are too thick, 

I get 4.6mm deep at 9:00 for my gen 5513 midcase. I think it's a thin-type case though, which would explain the discrepancy.

Probably your measurement is better, I had to mess around to try and get the micrometer's jaws in close enough to the bezel and caseback for a realistic reading.

The mid-case of my 6542 shown in my signature made from a 1655 cartel with the crown guards ground off measures 4.39mm at 9 o'clock. To thin the case I use an 8 inch buffing wheel 3 inches wide mounted on an old furnace motor, and buff the bottom edge of the case until it looks thin enough to my eye. 

Case thickness is probably the biggest flaw on all rep vintage Rollies. It's hardly ever solved correctly on any rep. I only spotted it when I bought a gen vintage 1675 (vs 1655 / 1675 rep cases I owned earlier). The thinner case makes the gen watch even more comfortable in wearing vs. reps. Here's a wrist shot of the thin gen case.

Gehauesedicke-3_zps134b440e.jpg