When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jimmyzfu Crystal

sssurfer

Hi all,

I just received a crystal from Jimmyzfu that he declares as sapphire.

Sill, I get contraddictory results from my testers: electric resistance tells glass, while thermal conductivity tells sapphire.

So far, electric resistance never failed on telling sapphire from glass, while thermal conductivity sometimes failed.

Had anyone any previous experience with these Jimmyzfu's crystals?

Try the water drop test...

BTW, are you fitting the crystal to one of Jimmy's cases? I'm asking because I've found his crystals to be too large for the typical rep case (about 3.5mm thick vs. 2.8mm, and slightly larger in diameter).

I'll try, and as a last resource I'll try a scratch test. :angry:

I'm quite surprised that this crystal came from China, I supposed Jimmy was US located.

I hope Jimmy is not selling his good reputation to some x-jewelry-type ebayer (btw, x-jewelry is no more a registered ebayer...).

I am not going to mount the crystal on a Jimmy's case, this was my first (and maybe last) purchase from Jimmy. But thanks for the advice!

Ok, I also performed the water drop test and the scratch test.

Water flooded exactly like on glass.

Scratching the crystal was quite hard to perform, but in the end I got a microscopic scratch visible on a 5x loupe.

All these results are consistent with mineral glass with a high metal (possibly iron) percentage and a good anti-scratch treatment.

In the end: top-quality glass, performing almost as sapphire, but not sapphire.

That is also consistent with its price (auction starting price @15 USD, usually sold around 25 USD).

I just asked Jimmy about it.

His crystals fit his cases. His cases are closer to the gens than the standard reps. On the crown guard and case he had them 1:1'ed years ago. I have found him to be entirely honest to the point where he has volunteered information which would cost him money. So if those crystals are glass someone should tell him. He may not know. :)

So if those crystals are glass someone should tell him. He may not know. :)

Just told him, Warren, in a polite way (I hope, with my poor English).

Here is what I told him:

Hi, I received the item, but I have to admit I strongly doubt it is sapphire.

Electrical resistance, thermal conductivity, and physical features of its surface tell it is mineral glass with high metal (possibly iron) percentage and a good anti-scratch treatment.

I am a member of several watch forums where you are highly reputed, so I suppose it's your provider that passed these crystals off as sapphire to you (by chance, did you change your provider, or are these crystals from a recent stock while others weren't?)

Do you plan to do anything about it?

Thanks,

xxxxx xxxxxx

Did the water test myself now.. It seems that they are not saphire but I cannot believe Jimmy is lying..

I can try three guesses (with the first two not excluding each other):

1. Jimmy had his crystals sold out before his CGs, cases, and bezels, and, in order to provide complete or almost complete sets, he ordered new crystals from another manufacturer.

As a matter of fact, these crystals are selling much cheaper than before; and they come directly from China, while I believed Jimmy was shipping from US.

2. Jimmy is simply unaware of it all.

3. That actual ebayer is not Jimmy anymore, but someone else.

1. Jimmy had his crystals sold out before his CGs, cases, and bezels, and, in order to provide complete or almost complete sets, he ordered new crystals from another manufacturer.

As a matter of fact, these crystals are selling much cheaper than before; and they come directly from China, while I believed Jimmy was shipping from US.

Jimmy has always shipped from China.. I believe maybe he changed provider and sold him mineral crystals..

Disappointed that it won't fit our cases, but since I only paid $15 for it no big deal :)

$15 for a glass having those features is a good deal. I would just prefer it was not advertised as sapphire.

Really would it fit only JF cases? The one I got is quite standard size, 35.5mm diameter. :blink:

$15 for a glass having those features is a good deal. I would just prefer it was not advertised as sapphire.

Really would it fit only JF cases? The one I got is quite standard size, 35.5mm diameter. :blink:

Well to be honest looks quite similar to the rep saphire glasses I have.. It seems strange that they say it won't fit..

Jimmy has always shipped from China..

Good to know. But in this case I wonder why items are declared as located in California too:

163071-11875.jpg

Well to be honest looks quite similar to the rep saphire glasses I have.. It seems strange that they say it won't fit..

That makes me even more thinking that something has changed.

Anyway I can assure you that this glass is harder to get scratched (and a better heat transmitter) than usual rep glass. :D

Good to know. But in this case I wonder why items are declared as located in California:

163076-11874.jpg

That makes me even more thinking that something changed.

Anyway I can assure you that this glass is harder to get scratchad (and more heat transmitter) than usual rep glass. :D

THey are declared to be in US because it is there that he has opened his ebay account.

On the glass issue.. Is it harder than rep saphire glass? You mean that mineral glass treated like this can be harder than saphire?

Is it harder than rep saphire glass? You mean that mineral glass treated like this can be harder than saphire?

IMHO that, contrarily on what some dealers say ;), there's nothing like 'saphire glass' -- either it is saphire, or it is glass. And rep saphire is as good as any other saphire.

I never suggested that this glass is harder than saphire: I have actually been able to scratch it with hard metal (what I could have not done if it was true saphire).

Still, I have to admit it is really hard. Not bad at all.

IMHO that, contrarily on what some dealers say ;), there's nothing like 'saphire glass' -- either it is saphire, or it is glass. And rep saphire is as good as any other saphire.

I never suggested that this glass is harder than saphire: I have actually been able to scratch it with hard metal (what I could have not done if it was true saphire).

Still, I have to admit it is really hard. Not bad at all.

Well I meant real saphire (and not saphire glass..misunderstanding)

You answered my question though ;)

Sapphire glass in genuine watches is not using the precious mineral sapphire, but made from Corundum, which is the same thing. Rep sapphire should be the same material, Corundum, too.

Do Davidsen's crystals fit jimmy's cases? I have a case set too, and a tourbillon movement to go in it, once I get the new palp crown :1a:

I had my Jimmy crystal and the standard rep crystal tested by my watch-smith on hardness. The Jimmy crystal was tested to have a hardness of around 4 and the rep crystal was tested to have a hardness of 9.

The conclusion of my watch-smith was that Jimmy's crystal was mineral glass and the rep crystal was genuine sapphire crystal.

Jimmy's crystal:

~ Much taller then rep crystal or davidesn crystal.

~ Teflon ring thicker the rep crystal or Davidsens Teflon ring (Jimmy Teflon ring wont fit the rep bezel)

~ No AR what so ever, looks like clear glass.

My conclusion, Jimmy's case's, crown guards, bezels are the best after market parts for Panerai, but his crystal is crap. You need all Jimmy or Jimmy and OEM parts to make things work. Jimmy parts don mix with the standard rep or Davidsen parts.

I have attempted to build a PAM111h with a Jimmy case, bezel, CG, palp crown and Davidsen crystal.. The results are O.K., but the Davidsen crystal is to short (the crystal sits flush with the bezel instead of sicking out ~ 0.5mm, see pic)

post-406-1165438019_thumb.jpg

post-406-1165438032_thumb.jpg

But davidsen or rep sapphire crystal will still fit snugly in the case and look fine ? I am not putting together a watch with PAM on the dial so it doesnt matter if it looks exactly like a PAM regarding crystal height...

Water resistance because the crystal fits is much more important.

I'll try, and as a last resource I'll try a scratch test. :angry:

I'm quite surprised that this crystal came from China, I supposed Jimmy was US located.

I hope Jimmy is not selling his good reputation to some x-jewelry-type ebayer (btw, x-jewelry is no more a registered ebayer...).

I am not going to mount the crystal on a Jimmy's case, this was my first (and maybe last) purchase from Jimmy. But thanks for the advice!

My CGs from Jimmy came from Taiwan I believe.... :cc_chinese: :g:

I am kicking myself in the ass for not ordering a CG when I had the chance. I emailed him as soon as I heard he was down to his last few, but it was too late :(

Does anyone make a 1:1 CG?? (I know there are projects in the works, but don't know of any 1:1 yet).

Why is it that Jimmy can make a perfect case, bezel and CG and no one else can??

Anyone have any info on Jimmy's supplier?

I am kicking myself in the ass for not ordering a CG when I had the chance. I emailed him as soon as I heard he was down to his last few, but it was too late :(

Does anyone make a 1:1 CG?? (I know there are projects in the works, but don't know of any 1:1 yet).

Why is it that Jimmy can make a perfect case, bezel and CG and no one else can??

Anyone have any info on Jimmy's supplier?

Me too, always low on money or I would have bought a few straight off and not had this problem... a 028, 029 and 063 waiting for a CG :(

As for his supplier, he went out of business...!

Maybe it's worth asking him how he got that done ? :g: