When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Signs Your Watch "Hobby" is Taking Over Your Life

DiverDoug

Hi all,

In response to GWP123's question about whether it is possible to recover from a supposed watch "addiction" (answer - No...now move on), I think it is important that people know what signs to look for to know if your rep "hobby" is drifting into an "addiction" that may take over your personal life :

•  Your son would have had better braces for his teeth, but that Noob Rolex model with the genuine Swiss 2892 movement and bitchin'-looking bezel was just too good to resist!
  •  You offered your Landlord a nice Rolex Daytona Chronometer rep as a down payment for next month's rent
  •  You believe you scammed your landlord (above) because the rep had a 7750 movement in it
  •  Your children have Audemars, Sohne, Philippe, Tag, Hublot or Vacheron as at least one of their middle names (more than one of those names? Hopelessly addicted!)
  •  You watch the Olympics 100m final and time the runners with your Omega PO rep and don't believe the runners have set any world records unless your watch confirms it
  •  You think that a genuine high-end watch is really just an incredibly over-priced rep
  •  You actively encourage al-Qaida to target Canal Street
  •  When you successfully replace a movement in your Breitling, your first words are, "It's alive...IT'S ALIIIIIVE !!!!"
  •  The amount of fuel you put in your car is determined by the latest special's on Andrew's website
  •  For some reason, you always want to sit in a seat facing Switzerland. If you can't sit in a seat facing Switzerland, you move the seat until it *is* facing Switzerland (difficuly, but not impossible to do on an airplane) 
  •  When you hear "Who has the best Sub rep?", you are filled with rage (think Incredible Hulk)
  •  You have a timegrapher on lay-away for Xmas this year
  • You wonder if they make atomic clock reps (a worrying sign is if you actively research atomic click reps)
  • You have to take time off work because you find your DateJust rep has gained 3 seconds last month and feel depressed because you weren't paying enough attention to it and its "needs" in the relationship
  • You dream of wearing a Patek rep with a quartz movement and you wake up in a cold sweat
  • You feel that every able-bodied rep collector is morally obligated to make a pilgrimage to Guangzhou at least once in their lives
  • You build a homemade waterproof tester, test and modify your reps to make them waterproof to 50m, but are still too afraid to even take them in the shower!
  • You wish you were going to be alive in the years 2813, 2824, 2892 and 4813 because... well, just because!

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to add your own signs, preferrably from personal experience!

DD

Edited by DiverDoug
  • Like 1

New signs:

* You think any RWG Forum member with less than 20 reps isn't hardcore because "he just isn't trying hard enough."

* You add a new floor to your home to store/display your rep collection (double points if you live in an apartment block, which angers your neighbors upstairs ;-) )

Edited by DiverDoug

New signs:

* You've been involved in a fight that was started over the validity of a tourbillion in a rep

* You were the one who started the fight from the last point

* "A quality rep for less than $350? Surely you jest...."

* "Service a 2813 movement without replacing it? Challenge accepted!!"

* You think that PP should change its motto to: "You never really own a Patek Philippe; your dad could only afford a rep, so just go with it."

More to come, but feel free to add your own;-)

DD

Edited by DiverDoug

Your second honeymoon in the planning is on hold because you just bought a franken you've always wanted. (and then a week later a member pms you with the 2nd watch you've always waited and wanted and you buy it also; putting your summer rental plans in jeopardy). *true story.

New signs:

* You blow out your monthly data allowance on RWG Forum and a few TD sites

* You hide your massive rep watch addiction and web surfing evidence from your wife by quickly going to Redtube just to get it in your browser's history so you'll appear 'normal'

* Your wife is relieved to see Redtube in your web browser history for a change

* you think that Big Ben = an early British rep

Edited by DiverDoug

* You wear a loupe in case you need to prove how accurate your latest rep is to anyone who asks

* You feel it is your responsibility on Remembrance Day to let everyone know when it is 11:00am based on your Rolex rep

* Your rep is a "witness for the Defence" to prove that the clocks in your office are slow, therefore you *didn't* leave work early

*when you find your bank balance shrunk into 2 digits in few days after payday.

* ...and those 2 digits are to the right of the decimal point

* you need to remove another link from your watch band because you've lost so much weight due to your "I'll buy food next week because that triple 6 rollie rep is too good *not* to buy now"-attitude

* ...and those 2 digits are to the right of the decimal point

* you need to remove another link from your watch band because you've lost so much weight due to your "I'll buy food next week because that triple 6 rollie rep is too good *not* to buy now"-attitude

that's about right, I haven't visited supermarket for about 2 weeks, *all* my salary last month went to:

-cheapy chopard for part of my franken build

-deposit for concepta franken 3714

-bought a franken 16803

-bought a gen vintage FF dia

-bought a replacement bezel for my hublot

-bought a replacement TT bracelet for the 16803

-watch service and gen crown replacement for my SOSF.

Now I only have 15 bucks in my bank account and let me see... 17 days until next payday.

• Like 1