When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your opinions please

kernow

My father died some 6 years ago and ever since I have been keeping some of his ashes with the intention of having them made into a small diamond. This is quite expensive - several thousand £/$.

I always had intended mounting it in my St Christopher medallion that I've had since I was a kid. However, I've been thinking about the possibility of having it mounted in a watch. What do you guys think and any suggestions as to which watch it would suit - I'm mostly into divers, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks all.

Giving an advise would probably never lead to something you like...I'd say let your heart speak...look at watches you really like and try to imagine how the would look with a diamond at some place...It doesn't have to be at 12 I'd say...maybe your Dad had a favourite number?...Mine had the 4 so if I were you I'd put a diamond at 4 :)...

Personally I wouldnt do it at all.... as I dont trust what you give is what you get... (if you know what I mean)

But if I did then I doubt a watch would be my choice as it is subject to your personal taste change (in model etc) or from breaking, servicing etc (ie sending it away, others working on it)

Can these people do that sort of size for a watch? If so why not just do a big one and a small one (ie necklace and watch)

Plus if you are looking to hand it down its another issue...

Personally stick with a necklace or other mounting option... like a plinth etc

But if you are determined then stick to a non aging model like Rolex etc and preferably a gen or good franken

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of my gen Seamaster 2254.50, replacing the pearl with a small diamond. The watch is a keeper, especially if I did this mod to it.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of my gen Seamaster 2254.50, replacing the pearl with a small diamond. The watch is a keeper, especially if I did this mod to it.

But be careful of how it would be fixed ? or try and go under the crystal ;)

But be careful of how it would be fixed ? or try and go under the crystal ;)

Indeed, I can't afford to lose it as it'll cost about £2500! That's for a small one. I'd have a jeweller set it rather than a watchmaker.

As I said, I'm only thinking about it at the moment.

Indeed, I can't afford to lose it as it'll cost about £2500! That's for a small one. I'd have a jeweller set it rather than a watchmaker.

As I said, I'm only thinking about it at the moment.

F me !!

in which case mate then dont put it in the bezel.... do as S says place it somewhere on the dial at a favourite number or birthdate (assuming that is under 12) or maybe your birthday etc etc

But at that money defo no on outside the watch....

Why not try and buy a gen dial to fit yours and have the original and the modified one with your dads stone ..... :) You might even go for an Omega dial variant that might suit your option better ..

Hmmmm there's food for thought. I could do but I'm not sure if the hands would clear it. I suppose if was mounted out far enough then the hour hand would clear it and the minute hand should be high enough to clear it. Good idea. :)

Hmmmm there's food for thought. I could do but I'm not sure if the hands would clear it. I suppose if was mounted out far enough then the hour hand would clear it and the minute hand should be high enough to clear it. Good idea. :)

I know a new gen dial is easy to source so whether you go for the same dial or a variation ie different colour or model then any decent setter can drill the dial to receive the stone so hands and clearance ain't an issue mate :)

Another idea for you to consider.

I've just received one of Mikes hand made pens, a lovely acrylic pen with ostritch feathers inside the acrylic.

The clip on the pen has a diamond set in the end of it, and with the chrome and gold mechanism it looks great.

I'm sure a jeweller could mount your diamond securely into a pen clip.

Another idea for you to consider.I've just received one of Mikes hand made pens, a lovely acrylic pen with ostritch feathers inside the acrylic.The clip on the pen has a diamond set in the end of it, and with the chrome and gold mechanism it looks great.I'm sure a jeweller could mount your diamond securely into a pen clip.

That's a really nice idea, it's just that I don't use pens very much these days. Most of my time is spent on a PC or driving. lol