When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good 7750 Candidate for Vintage Daytona build

denimhead

Seller in Pakistan with 98% rating after only 62 sales, who claims a Swiss-made 7750 in an obviously bottom-end rep case. & you believe that? I would be very surprised if the movement was properly functioning upon arrival & not surprised at all if it was made considerably east of the Swiss border (ie, Asian-made).

Seller in Pakistan with 98% rating after only 62 sales, who claims a Swiss-made 7750 in an obviously bottom-end rep case. & you believe that? I would be very surprised if the movement was properly functioning upon arrival & not surprised at all if it was made considerably east of the Swiss border (ie, Asian-made).

Never personally had an issue buying parts from India/Pakistan, managed to snag some nice Vintage Gen crowns in the past. Agreed on the case Fred, its truly dreadful.  I guess i can always request some movement stampings pictures to see if it is indeed Swiss. If it is a swiss valjoux 7750 I guess its value depends on what needs doing to it. How  much was DW charging for his Asian secs@9 modded movements?

Forgot to ask Fred, has that 280Z  got a custom metalic Orange flake paint job ;)

DH

Stampings aside, always buy the seller 1st, & nothing about that sale/seller inspires confidence. In fact, everything points in the opposite direction. But your experience may vary.

I was not aware that DW was selling modded movements, but you may know something that I do not.

The ZX's color is Mahogany, which was 1 of the original, standard color options (fyi - Paul Newman raced a ZX &, separately, owned the same car (& in the same color), but opted for the removable T-top)

1979Datsun280ZX2_zpsb52ef918.jpg

(my car)

SharpNewman280ZXRolexDaytona6239-2_2__to

(my car)

post-3175-0-69722900-1384972476_thumb.jp

Stampings aside, always buy the seller 1st, & nothing about that sale/seller inspires confidence. In fact, everything points in the opposite direction. But your experience may vary.

I was not aware that DW was selling modded movements, but you may know something that I do not.

The ZX's color is Mahogany, which was 1 of the original, standard color options (fyi - Paul Newman raced a ZX &, separately, owned the same car (& in the same color), but opted for the removable T-top)

1979Datsun280ZX2_zpsb52ef918.jpg

(my car)

SharpNewman280ZXRolexDaytona6239-2_2__to

(my car)

attachicon.gifPaul-Newman-Daytona-Racer.jpg

That's absolutely Beautiful Fred, any modern enhancements? 

Stock is best but if you were to do a swap wouldn't a sr20det make more sense?

If I was going to upgrade to a V8, I would probably have gone with a Ford or Chevy engine, which are cheap/powerful, produce a great growl & are a popular mod for Zs. But, since the last thing I would do with a restored classic (non-race car) is drive it aggressively, the issue is all academic.