When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Helenarou into tiger big crown

aeromatic

As many of you will know i am into big crown subs in a big way ! i have build a couple of yuki 6538s and couple of low cost builds including a tudor cartel case build the cartel case is made for 29mm dials,   the tiger case  i purchased from ebay as a defected case for 49 usd the crown when screwed up tight would lock the bezel i had this also on a rafflestime case so i ordered a athayia brevet crown fitted by my good friend andreas 

i decided to use helenarou dial and handset to keep the costs down this is when the problem started the helenarou dial is 29mm and the tiger case fits a 28mm with a 27mm rehaunt i found i could not find any tudor rose dial with this size so andreas (georgeloiz} member milled out the case to fit a 29mm dial we only just got the dial in but with a slight hitch the swiss at the bottom of the dial is partly covered by the rehaunt andreas redilled the lughole to fit 2mm springpins i softerned the case sharp edges and beveled the top of the case. here are some quick photos 

post-27094-0-57831900-1385660848_thumb.j

post-27094-0-34225300-1385660884_thumb.j

post-27094-0-88103500-1385660904_thumb.j

post-27094-0-05880900-1385660947_thumb.j

post-27094-0-26814900-1385661000_thumb.j

post-27094-0-67528800-1385661078_thumb.j

post-27094-0-28838700-1385661127_thumb.j

post-27094-0-05221000-1385661169_thumb.j

post-27094-0-26469600-1385661346_thumb.j

post-27094-0-47687000-1385661348_thumb.j

post-27094-0-40227900-1385661350_thumb.j

post-27094-0-37654300-1385661354_thumb.j

I would like to thank Andreas for his help and many hours put in for this build !

Specs

Tiger case (milled out to take 29mm dial)

Helenarou dial

Helenarou handset

Helenarou bond strap

Old eta movement 2472 fully serviced by andreas

Gen tudor rotor

Athayia crown

Edited by aeromatic

Nice!  So what first got you into big crowns?

Thanks ! If you check out my 2009 post called 6538 bond( a life time quest to own a james bond big crown submariner) i got into big crowns after watching goldfinger ! my build and story is also seen on yukis site on customer projects !

• Like 1

Aha, cool.  Reminded me, must watch that film again.  Can never tire of Bond :)

I was driving today using my gps nav system and reminded me of the astons similar tracking system and that was in 1964 , so far ahead of its time @

An easier way is to attach the dial to a dremel cutting wheel bit and spin it. Use some sandpaper on the edge and check often.

I would not risk this with an expensive gen dial but did it to my $30 raffles dial with good results.

me2ynyme.jpg

I will have to try that next time  :)

Here are my other big crown builds ! 

Tropic aged tudor with ruined dial (have to get that replaced sometime )

post-27094-0-02097700-1385670404_thumb.j

my latest maxi dial 2892-2 powered 6538

post-27094-0-53276400-1385670617_thumb.j

my first 6538 with gen rolex 1030 movement

post-27094-0-37632600-1385671023_thumb.j

my fantasy blackbay homage build

post-27094-0-12624600-1385671281_thumb.j

Mine is a 1st generation 'Tiger' case. I made the dial by using brass stock cut in a rough round shape (maybe octogonish) with a tin snips. Flatten it out with a small hammer, drill the center hole. Then using a bamboo shish-ka-bob skewer as an axle, spin it on edge against a fine stone bench grinder, checking to size/diameter. A metal axle will enlarge the hole, and a toothpick will break, while bamboo is a perfect tool and can be used for many mods. I then use a decal. If you are careful it won't  harm a finished dial. 

post-16926-0-27783900-1385671967_thumb.j

Is your 'Tiger' case the V2? It looks as though it is a gen style mounting for the crystal, using a retainer to hold the crystal, and the wire spring to hold and spin the coin edge bezel. Is that the way you got it, or was that machined for you as well?  

• Like 1

Mine is a 1st generation 'Tiger' case. I made the dial by using brass stock cut in a rough round shape (maybe octogonish) with a tin snips. Flatten it out with a small hammer, drill the center hole. Then using a bamboo shish-ka-bob skewer as an axle, spin it on edge against a fine stone bench grinder, checking to size/diameter. A metal axle will enlarge the hole, and a toothpick will break, while bamboo is a perfect tool and can be used for many mods. I then use a decal. If you are careful it won't  harm a finished dial. 

attachicon.gifMy Bond dial.JPG

Is your 'Tiger' case the V2? It looks as though it is a gen style mounting for the crystal, using a retainer to hold the crystal, and the wire spring to hold and spin the coin edge bezel. Is that the way you got it, or was that machined for you as  

Super looks great ! yes its v2 and came with the gen style mounting !

Just want to say that these ancient 2472 eta movement really add a vintage feel to the watch its even slower beat than the 2846 eta i picked up 3 movements for 38 usd shipped 2 of them were fully serviced and working fine  and one is well a bit sluggish so will do for spare parts 

i love  these old movements they are so smooth when winding or changing the time and so silent, and the rotor does not sound like a run away train when you shake the watch like modern eta movements no sound at all , the time keeping is excellent for a 50 year old movement not loosing a minute !

Wow! first of all, congratulations! Great work very well done!

Then...I didn't know that there is a V2 of "Tiger" Bond...Did you specially ask for it or Willian sent it?

Thank you ! i ordered it from ebay i did not know it was a v2 and was suprised of its gen style crystal mounting !

Cool! I hope to receive the same!

Inviato dal mio GT-P5110 con Tapatalk

If i was doing it again i would go for the rafflestime case as this fits a 29mm dial instead of milling out the case which can be risky what i like about the tiger is the gen crystal mounting and the thicker coin edge bezel

after all the crystal mounting can not be seen when built ! good luck !!!!

If i was doing it again i would go for the rafflestime case as this fits a 29mm dial instead of milling out the case which can be risky what i like about the tiger is the gen crystal mounting and the thicker coin edge bezel

after all the crystal mounting can not be seen when built ! good luck !!!!

Thanks! In my last build of 6538 I used v1 Tiger case and the new Raffles Time dial and it was perfect. I will use the same hoping it will fit again.

Retaining ring is better because you don't need to use glue for crystal ;)

Inviato dal mio GT-P5110 con Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you say the tiger has a gen mounting do you mean the early style with a ring over the crystal and what looks like a bent up paper clip in the bezel to hold it on? Or is it more like the later subs with a ring, tension spring and bezel that locks on the base of the ring. I have a tiger case with the later but if they have changed to the actual 6538 style bezel, I may have to get another one. Trying to decide between doing a mid grade big crown (modded tiger case, yuki dial, low beat eta movement) or go all the way to a gen movement based 5510. Yuki has the case for a 15xx based 5510 but the dial is only a one line. I figure a tired 15xx based datejust can be had fairly cheap (particularly after selling off the gen dial, case, hands, etc). Yuki case and dial and end up with a near gen for around 2k.

Edited by Crwilsn

When you say the tiger has a gen mounting do you mean the early style with a ring over the crystal and what looks like a bent up paper clip in the bezel to hold it on? Or is it more like the later subs with a ring, tension spring and bezel that locks on the base of the ring. I have a tiger case with the later but if they have changed to the actual 6538 style bezel, I may have to get another one. Trying to decide between doing a mid grade big crown (modded tiger case, yuki dial, low beat eta movement) or go all the way to a gen movement based 5510. Yuki has the case for a 15xx based 5510 but the dial is only a one line. I figure a tired 15xx based datejust can be had fairly cheap (particularly after selling off the gen dial, case, hands, etc). Yuki case and dial and end up with a near gen for around 2k.

Hi Crwilsn

The bezel is held on with the hexagon shaped spring and the crystal is held on with a retainer ring , i would go for the yuki my first yuki with gen movement cost me 2500usd the tiger case only takes a 28mm dial gen size are 26mm and most aftermaket like raffles and helenarou are 29mm i have big crown builds with cases helenarou (a very well made case but needs modding ) two yuki cases one raffles time one cartel and the tiger what i like about the tiger is the thicker bezel but if getting a 29mm dial best is to get a case that fits this dial and then find a better bezel 

helenarou case cheaper that yuki but you have to replace the saphire crystal with a clark crystal helenarou can do for extra 20usd i think full engraving and for 44 usd has a very good brevet crown the helenarou bezel is brass chrome plated like a gen ,good luck !!!!