When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

tool kits for rolex?

irolexu

Hey guys, I just thought I would ask your opinions on which tools are the best to buy to get started in watch making. I mainly tinker with ETA based rolex reps so I would love to have something that would be geared for rolex. here is a list of the stuff I would like to have.

crystal press (dont know who makes a good one)

bergeon case back tool

swiss quality screw driver set

good lenses to see

special lighting. 

bezel knife

If you guys can think of some really good stuff for me let me know! I really want to get started in watch making. thanks! 

Dumont carbon steel tweezers, not stainless. 

Small Arkansas whetstone, for dressing your tweezers and screwdrivers.

Bergeon movement holder (the larger model)

I would go for something like the A & F brand of screwdriver with changable blades, get some varying diameter steel rod and learn to grind and harden your own screwdriver blades (it's not hard) with a small homemade spirit burner.

Good luck ;)

I always found those bezel removers useful too with them...and they are cheap

But if you contact Mike at watchbitz..  in the dealer section.... he can do you a deal on a custom tool kit and help you choose the best tools for the job etc

Well worth contacting mate... :)

You might need a set of taps and case tube wrenches for 5.3mm and 6.0/7.0mm crowns.

I have a couple BB crystal presses with a full set of aluminum cups plus a four piece set of nylon cups for gold/diamond bezels. BB presses turn up on eBay and at watch shows for around $100 depending on how many cups are included. You will need straight inside wall cups for rolex bezels and tapered inside wall cups for tension ring and 'snap in' crystals.

Tension ring acrylic crystals are simply pressed into the case using tapered sidewall cups in the same press as used with straight sidewall cups on rolex bezels.

Flat MG and sapphire crystals that press into a plastic gasket can be installed with the BB type press using a solid disc press piece or a cup that is close to the od of the crystal...straight sidewall if possible. Using cups is taking a chance but usually they work Ok. On MG crystals it is a good idea to use a sheet of paper etc between the cup and crystal to prevent scratching it.

For 'snap in' type plastic crystals it might be better to go with a cheap crystal press with a set of tapered inside wall cups. You may also need to rig up a plunger of some sort (if not included) to mount on the lower post of the press to go against the inside of the crystal to shrink it.

'Snap in' crystals are properly installed in screw back cases by basically shrinking the crystal to allow it to slip into the case without damage. The bottom post on the press will have a soft pad (plunger) that goes against the inside of the crystal and the top post will have a tapered inside wall die that fits against the outside edge of the crystal. You put the empty case on the floor of the press, squeeze the handle to force the crystal against the pad causing the crystal to shrink, then raise the case up until the crystal fits into the bezel groove of the case with your other hand, then let off the press allowing the crystal to expand to original size and fit tight in the case.

It's easy to do after you see it done.

Snap in crystals are installed in one piece cases (or screw back cases with the movement still in it) by using some version of the 'claw' type crystal lift. They work Ok but often leave marks on the crystal where the claws squeeze it down.

Learn how to sharpen screwdriver tips so you will not damage screw heads. I use a roller type sharpener that sells for $15 or so. You square the tip, then mount the screwdriver in the roller and roll it on different grits of sandpaper placed on a small sheet of glass etc in a trailing direction until it is what you want, then square the tip again making it the thickness needed for the screw slot. I square the tips on a diamond knife sharpening hone.

Look at pictures of new Bergeon etc screwdrivers to see how long the taper should be on the various sizes of screwdrivers.