When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO fans, what do you all think of the moon watch ?

Jonny2400

Just wondering if anyone else has the same feelings as me ?

I love the history of the speedmaster professional and it looks so very nice in pictures, I love the look of the jet black dial & thin white hands.. I really want one.

However it leaves me feeling rather underwhelmed in real life. If you look at my pic you can see a rep in my watch box, next to my gen Tag and rep CrPO's now due to the issues of the rep I only picked up the cheap 21J from silix.

Has anyone else felt disappointed with the Speedmaster in real life rep or gen ?

post-58181-0-90232600-1385939139_thumb.j

Edited by Jonny2400

I bought a gen and did not feel one pang of regret. No rep does this watch justice. I would go so far as to say if you were going to buy one gen, this is the one. Plus as a historically significant watch, it is a bargain at around $2500 for a decent older watch, $4250 or so for a new one from an AD, and $5000 - $6000 will get a nice cal 321 just like was worn on the moon. Service is much more expensive than a watch with a simple date complication. Budget around $800 or so and if you buy used set money aside sooner rather than later. I doubt there is any other watch so well known available in that price range. 4ebyzyju.jpg

Edited by Crwilsn

Winding is not a problem. It gives you a chance to play with it and I find myself "topping off" many times throughout the day. If you really need an automatic though, the reduced is available for about $500 less. Looks nearly the same and with some searching you may even be able to break under $1k. 7750 based movement I think but this is truly a great gen at rep prices.

As for the weight, it's all in the bracelet. I think we are all spoiled by modern bracelets. Vintage bracelets are light whether gen, rep, rolex, or omega. As a new model, it comes with a bracelet similar to that on a seamaster pro great white. Very solid and heavy feel. I have mine on an aftermarket vintage type and it is really light. Depends on what you want. I have worn mine on a Planet Ocean bracelet (search google and you will see how it looks) and the watch feels very substantial. My favorite though is on a brown straps as this screams vintage aviation/auto racing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Has anyone else felt disappointed with the Speedmaster in real life rep or gen ?

Never!  Speedmasters are what got me into reps initially, and I've owned every rep version (including a modded example).  None were very accurate, so I finally saved up and bought a gen.  As mentioned above, if I could only have one gen it would be a Speedmaster Professional.  They are just perfect on the wrist and they have such a nice history as well.  In fact, it's hard to stop at just one. :)

100_5233.jpg

It looks alright but I'm not into chromos on omegas.  I like the 42mm PO and the 45mm po is fine too.  it's just the PO is a newer style watch so it is probably more modern in my eyes. speedmaster looks sorta old to me and not as classy/styling.

I think you are more into "Bling" than "Class". The Speedy Pro is classy and understated (for a chrono) To each their own I guess!

DSC00109.jpg

hi, from the distance and the picture in Your watchbox it really looks very good to me, also as a nice addition to Your collection. Maybe its because You picked the cheap 21j that it doesn´t "feel" right. Will soon know better because I also picked a cheaper quartz, which has the better dial alignment and I can always give away as gift as 2nd watch in a shipment that's weeks out now and simply will not arrive. Maybe we can compare the versions look/weight/feel once it arrives.

Thanks guys.. Still undecided about the speedmaster lol. I really had my heart set in treating myself to the gen.. Doesn't help that am currently reading astronaut's guide to life on earth and he keeps bring up his speedmaster or as he calls it.. The Omega Astronaut watch

I actually really like my Gen Tag F1 which is about the same size, it's hard as I need an extra link so I can't try one on at the AD, I need to buy it and then order the extra links.

You all know it doesn't matter which watch you try on, if it's too tight you don't like it :-(

Edited by Jonny2400