When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Sub vs my TC

d4v1d

Hello people,

I own a TC Sub V5 (LN) and I love it. And old friend of my came by to buy a gen Omega from me. He was wearing a gen Sub LN (do not know which year) and we did a little comparison between my TC and his gen.. My TC V5 has only a gen insert.

The major differences were the dial and hands... and the whole face of the watch, actually. I don't know why, but it looked different! It even looked like it has a slightly smaller diameter. The cyclops was not a big difference, btw... 

My question is: if I throw in a gen dial, gen hands and gen crystal.. Will the watch face look 100% the same as gen? Theoretical it should.. still I'm not sure.. Maybe it will always look different because you know it's not the real deal.. even with so many gen parts..

And TC bracelet and case is stunning! Actually my TC bracelet looked better than his old bracelet :inverted:

Thanks!

Edited by d4v1d

Hello people,

I own a TC Sub V5 (LN) and I love it. And old friend of my came by to buy a gen Omega from me. He was wearing a gen Sub LN (do not know which year) and we did a little comparison between my TC and his gen.. My TC V5 has only a gen insert.

The major differences were the dial and hands... and the whole face of the watch, actually. I don't know why, but it looked different! It even looked like it has a slightly smaller diameter. The cyclops was not a big difference, btw... 

My question is: if I throw in a gen dial, gen hands and gen crystal.. Will the watch face look 100% the same as gen? Theoretical it should.. still I'm not sure.. Maybe it will always look different because you know it's not the real deal.. even with so many gen parts..

And TC bracelet and case is stunning! Actually my TC bracelet looked better than his old bracelet :inverted:

Thanks!

I have also noticed that a gen sub always looks large.  Not sure why, except for the fact that the bezel teeth have never been replicated quite the same as the gen.

It may have been that the xtal was placed closer or further from the dial in the case, which can change its perceived size. Otherwise, I am not quite clear on why you asked whether a gen dial would look like a gen dial in your watch? if you place a gen dial/handset in a watch case, it will look like a gen dial/handset, regardless of where it is.

There are two main factors that could be contributing here, the bezel teeth and the case material.  The TC bezel teeth are more accurate for an older sub, maybe early '90s at latest but the later bezel teeth are sharper and catch the light better, giving more presence.  The 904l case material also does make a difference despite what everyone on here wants to believe.  If you have two subs, a rep in 316 and a gen in 904 both freshly washed, polished and untouched by human hands then yes, there will be little difference but as soon as you get your grubby mits on each piece the difference becomes apparent.  The gen steel fends off scratches and holds it's brilliance much better than any rep steel can.

Gen crystals DO make a big difference but there are other factors like gasket height and rehaut depth and angle that will also play in.