When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6497 movement Help with the cold

dante

I was wandering if anyone had experience the stopping or slowdown of the movement because of cold weather, it is happening to me know, after I leave the watch on my table at night the temperature get down to about 39, and the movement slowdown or stop, then I put it back on my wrist and it will work fine until I live it out again.

Any help or solution?

Thanks

• Like 1

It is possible that the lubrication is either too thin or too thick, so when the viscosity changes at lower temperatures, the friction goes up too much. If all other functions are normal at standard temps, a lubrication service by your local watchsmith will likely fix things.

It should be done professionally, if you elect to do it yourself read up as much as possible in the forums + online resources on 6497/6498's, and proceed carefully.

Best---

I wonder if the cold is contracting the case....and putting some pressure on the dial? perhaps the hour wheel is being pushed down and this is slowing it? I know a few movements I've put in such that there was even a little pressure here or there...would stop it...

or in a sock at the foot of my sleeping bag

Another good point is 'never  buy a watch off Nanuq '

:)

• Like 1

I don't know about the cold affecting the watch (believe me it was freakin cold at night after 14K).....I wore my Corum up to Mt. Everest BC with no problems......

post-4000-0-60967800-1386519804_thumb.jp

and then  went Oggling in Phuket with it:

post-4000-0-31417300-1386519949_thumb.jp

I mean diving:

post-4000-0-15451200-1386520011_thumb.jp

....and it starts like a charm everytime I put it on!

• Like 1

When I'm camping in the cold I keep it on my wrist or in a sock at the foot of my sleeping bag. Maybe you can put it under your pillow?

+1