When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guess The Sub Bug Bit

jdkno

Well this is my first post here, thought I have been lurking for a bit reading all I can. I originally never wanted a Sub, but the more and more time spent looking at pictures and reading all the info on them now I want one.

I won't ask the typical "Who has the best" as I have pretty much narrowed it down through reading, searching and comparing pictures of the gen to the reps.

I do have a few questions more or less on some of the mods that I have seen done here. I know the CG issue is a big one that stands out most to me. I have seen Josh's "Perfect" Sub in which the CG are supposed to be modded already. The only problem is the pics of his "Perfect" Sub and regular Subs show no different CG. Does anyone have a pic of the actual "Perfect" Sub for comparison?

Lug holes is what I think they are called where the braclet ties into the case. I have seen posts about drilling them out to duplicate the original. Once this is done where do you get the gen pins to hold the braclet.

Does the CG issue only pertain to Subs? I never hear any talk of modding CG's on a Sea Dweller for example?

Lastly does anyone know the correct dial size of the gen Sub/Sea Dweller? I have searched until my fingers hurt and putting in "Genuine Rolex Dial Size" will show no results. Come to think of it the only way I got any results was to put 1 word in and filter through 100 threads.

Hi and welcome to the forum. These are all very good questions....at least you have started doing some reading and this a great start. No cgs are perfect on any of these models and they all could use some modding. Yes the cgs on a seadweller are just as bad but it has so many other bigger flaws that can't be changed, cgs are the least of its worries. <_< With regards to dial size, perhaps pm some of the rolex experts for that one. Just do some reading in the Rolex photo gallery and perhaps you'll even find what you're looking for. I'd measure my gen dial for you but it's already in my watch. :)

at any rate, welcome and good luck with your search.

welcome jdkno. subs are fascinating and you will find that there are a lot of us here that enjoy them. i'm glad that you are researching and then asking good questions. you will find the community here is very willing to help answer your questions as long as you take the initiative to do some homework.

......with that said, here are some answers to a couple of your questions that no one has answered yet.

1) the dial of the reps that approximate the closest to that on the genuine is 28mm in diameter. these are the beautiful dials that are found on the reps like ttk's "noobmariner". the cn reps have larger dials and the date windows are too far to the right when compared to gen's.

2) as far as lug holes, it depends on the case type that your rep is "repping". lug holes were on the 16610 subs prior to 2004. the F series cases came out in 2004 and these do not have lug holes. so, if you buy a 16610 sub rep that is being sold by the dealers now, it will not have lug holes. this has always made me laugh and is in fact the reason i have in my sig the quote by our good forum friend dave gates. there were concerns back then that members didn't want subs with lug holes but wanted the F cases so they would have the latest look. dave provided us with the sage advice that lug holes were not a bad thing. i look back and laugh because the reps with lug holes that he referred are now highly desirable items and better reps than the F-cases of that time. :D:D

well, if you are lucky enough to acquire a pre-2004 16610 rep, then the 20x2mm springbars to make it correct can be obtained from several sources: ebay is one option. i got my last ones from a member that was selling some. there are some watchsmiths here that also sell them when they do the work to drill the lug holes larger.

again, welcome and enjoy the hobby

Edited by haveblue