When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep friendly watchsmiths in London

Rk7861000

• 3 weeks later...

Hi we're working on the other forums but have yet to do RWG. We are offering servicing, modding and repairs with a two day average turn around time. You can post in or drop it off, I'm based in London. We're offering great value for money. I have the same name on the other forums. Or drop me line: alanthomas80@hotmail.co.uk

Hi fellow RWG rep lovers. My Father is a retired watch engineer, he worked @ Omega for 12 years and an independent Swiss watch servicing company for 7 years. He has serviced, repaired all of my watches gens & reps. Including loads of mods. He got me into this hobby, so he thinks reps are interesting and fun... no fear or long explanations/ lies needed... he's very rep friendly. He still has all of the machinery/ tools and parts and he always takes less than a day. I'm a project manager, so if I organise this, you guys can share in his skills too. He always has old incomplete ETA movements so even if your watch is broken he'll prob fix it for free if serving it (this has been the case so far) He has loads of my old A7750s too from all the mods that he's done for me. He can do things that I've heard people say aren't even possible or are too much work. £99 for a half a days work service does him as he's retired. As I say even if you need a new balance wheel for example 'cause it's running fast etc he'll do it at no extra cost, usually even for the parts. He can also do great mods including aesthetic stuff. I work in London and he lives in London so you can send it or drop it off and he'll turn it round within one or two days depending on the work required (naturally). He has done everything from annoying fixes like a marker being too big or end links not right all the way to combining ETA movements and changing chrono gear positions or changing pushers from being incorrectly brushed and sharp edged to beautifully rounded and mirror finished. Basically I analyse a watch that I like (usually so called super reps) in detail and we fix the flaws. The only thing that he doesn't do (*yet*) is superlume. If your watch comes with scratches to the stainless steel, I will ask you if you want him to remove them, he'll make sure that all of the chronos reset to 12, date changes at 12 o'clock midnight, keeps perfect time etc. He can water proof too.

As well of the obvious easy stuff like fitting Xtals, bezels, date wheels, tubes, crowns, that make you watch look great. He still works as if he's operating @ Omega so uba clean and efficient, no marks or dust left, the tools, materials and solutions that he uses are the same as when he would charge £300-£400. Your rep will come back cleaner and brighter than when you received it : )

We post pics mid-service to demonstrate that it has indeed been fully serviced (because I'm a natural skeptic, so you may be like me).

I'll post pics of his latest works...

Sounds very good. Don't be too surprised if you get some negative responses from some of us skeptics here, as we just had a guy who is a forum member leave a bunch of us with shoddy unfinished work plus about 27K worth of watches and parts that he refuses to return to the owners. Some of us have been burned really bad by this guy, me included, so please understands where folks are coming from.

I exchanged a couple of emails with you a day or two back, as you were recommended by some of the folks in the UK who have used your services and were very pleased. Certainly those members in the London area and the entire UK plus the rest of the EU would be interested in your services. AFA the USA and Canada, possibly, but we still have the customs risk which many folks are not willing to risk, especially if it's and expensive modded rep. 

I believe that a lot of folks here would use your services, as the price is pretty reasonable. It would be nice if you could either do or find someone to do lume as well as AR coating, as these are two services that a lot of members desire. As I related in the PM, one service that would get you lots of business would be the jewel modification for A7750's with sec @ 6 and Sec @ 12. this would be great for those folks who are modding a newer Rolex Daytona (Sec @ 6) and all the AP ROO's (Sec @ 12) There is only one guy doing this AFAIK in the entire rep world, and any others who are able to do this mod, would get plenty of business!!

We appreciate you coming over to RWG, and we hope that you will visit here often and be an active member of the forum. 

Sounds very good. Don't be too surprised if you get some negative responses from some of us skeptics here, as we just had a guy who is a forum member leave a bunch of us with shoddy unfinished work plus about 27K worth of watches and parts that he refuses to return to the owners. Some of us have been burned really bad by this guy, me included, so please understands where folks are coming from.

I exchanged a couple of emails with you a day or two back, as you were recommended by some of the folks in the UK who have used your services and were very pleased. Certainly those members in the London area and the entire UK plus the rest of the EU would be interested in your services. AFA the USA and Canada, possibly, but we still have the customs risk which many folks are not willing to risk, especially if it's and expensive modded rep.

I believe that a lot of folks here would use your services, as the price is pretty reasonable. It would be nice if you could either do or find someone to do lume as well as AR coating, as these are two services that a lot of members desire. As I related in the PM, one service that would get you lots of business would be the jewel modification for A7750's with sec @ 6 and Sec @ 12. this would be great for those folks who are modding a newer Rolex Daytona (Sec @ 6) and all the AP ROO's (Sec @ 12) There is only one guy doing this AFAIK in the entire rep world, and any others who are able to do this mod, would get plenty of business!!

We appreciate you coming over to RWG, and we hope that you will visit here often and be an active member of the forum.

What a lovely warm welcome. Thank you sir. What was the charlatan's name please? I'm a natural skeptic and I live in London and I offer a drop-off or send-in service. Which means you can come to my house or work and we can meet and have a good chat about reps, if that takes your fancy. Our turn around time being one or two days means that we are never holding too many watches at once. After meeting at my house with a member on one of the other forums just over a week ago to fix, polish, align and service his franken ROOs, he's now entrusting us with his prized $4K Ultra franken. Perhaps the nature of a father/ son relationship would allay the fear of that happening too.

We have ordered Tritech Superluminova and that apparatus, so super luming will be an option soon too. AR from my experience is the process that takes so long when ordering from the guys that do it (eight weeks). We are emphasising on efficiency so it's a service that we will not be proving in the near future. Unless I link up with my friend Mike (who's double AR Xtals and ti screws are legendary)

We will however, instal your Xtals etc at no extra cost and overall make your rep beautiful and more gen like

If you go back here in the general discussion forum, there was a 272 response thread that had the last post a week or two ago, will give you a good overview of what we encountered. Well, lesson learned, cost me a really nice vintage Daytona, gen 7750 movement and aftermarket bezel to the tune of around 800 USD. But in the grand scheme of things, this is a drop in the bucket. I can sleep like a babe at night, he can't!!

Sounds like you and your dad have a very nice well organized business going. AFA the AR stuff, possibly you could work out a deal with someone like Mike to furnish you crystals. May even decide to stock a few of the most popular sizes as well. I have had a gazillion watches modded over the years, and one thing that eats you up is shipping. I'm probably in the minority, but when I ship my watches to a watch smith, I send with full insurance if possible. When you spend 25-30 USD every time you ship, it adds up. Point that I'm trying to make in a million words or less is if available, most folks would like to get as much done at one shop as possible. Sort of the "Walmart concept" everything under one roof. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you go back here in the general discussion forum, there was a 272 response thread that had the last post a week or two ago, will give you a good overview of what we encountered. Well, lesson learned, cost me a really nice vintage Daytona, gen 7750 movement and aftermarket bezel to the tune of around 800 USD. But in the grand scheme of things, this is a drop in the bucket. I can sleep like a babe at night, he can't!!

Sounds like you and your dad have a very nice well organized business going. AFA the AR stuff, possibly you could work out a deal with someone like Mike to furnish you crystals. May even decide to stock a few of the most popular sizes as well. I have had a gazillion watches modded over the years, and one thing that eats you up is shipping. I'm probably in the minority, but when I ship my watches to a watch smith, I send with full insurance if possible. When you spend 25-30 USD every time you ship, it adds up. Point that I'm trying to make in a million words or less is if available, most folks would like to get as much done at one shop as possible. Sort of the "Walmart concept" everything under one roof. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I found the thread about that guy, is it Steve Molholland in Florida? We haven't had much call for AR yet TBH. We do everything else, just like a one stop shop and all for the price of a service usually. It's proving hugely popular, so if you guys on RWG want to join the fun and experience his great work and service, then get involved...

• 3 months later...

Glad to see you back, haven't heard from you in a while. Hopefully you can get the mods here to approve your watch service as and approved repair/mod service. in the meantime, hang around and keep your name out in front of the folks here, I know you will pick up some business from here.

Glad to see you back, haven't heard from you in a while. Hopefully you can get the mods here to approve your watch service as and approved repair/mod service. in the meantime, hang around and keep your name out in front of the folks here, I know you will pick up some business from here.

Thanks, finger crossed, we'll get this done and enable everyone here to enjoy our services

I can say that Al has had some work done on a couple of my reps with good results. I'm just waiting for a ROO to come back now before I pass some more work his way.

I can say that Al has had some work done on a couple of my reps with good results. I'm just waiting for a ROO to come back now before I pass some more work his way.

Thank you sir

UK mods/servicing/repairs

email: info@saving-time.co.uk

twitter: @savingtimeQC