When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

M2M sale - watch doa

sputim

Hi at all,

I recently sold my nice Milgauss to a kind member from the bord. The watch came originally from Andrew and I had it for about 8 months. It was my daily beater on my adventure trip in alaska and it worked throughout the whole time without any problems. Last weekend when I was in UK, I sent the watch to the buyer in the EU. The watch worked well until the day I sent it and it was properly packed. Now the buyer received the watch within a short time, but it arrived dead :( So I feel really sorry about that and have no idea how this could have happened. I know asian clone eta's are not the best but his watch smith said that the movement is totally wasted. So we would be both very glad if experienced members could tell us how to proceed. In my eyes best would be to order a asian eta clone and have it fitted by his local watch smith.

Thanks for every reply,

sputim

In my experience I would share the cost to replace with a like for like movement, however, if the new owner wants to 'upgrade' the movement, come to a deal, an Asian clone replacement might be $40-50. As Sgt says above, be amicable and come to an agreement.

Regards

AJ

First off, presuming that the watch was packed well and that it was running well before you sent it I would offer a deal to go halvsies on a new movement and have him to get a quote for a movement + labor and you PayPal him the cash.

Otherwise you can offer him a partial refund after he ships the watch back to you and you buy and replace the movement and resell it. Since you sent it in working order it's not fair to have you bear thus full burden of this, shipping is rough on movements. It is also why I try to make the disclaimer that watch is in good working order before I send it out, I am not responsible to what happens to it once it leaves my hands but that I package the watch with plenty of bubble wrap. I also make a video of the watch running for a few minutes, and a video of me packing it so that if there is an issue later I can refer the buyer to it. I've never had to use it but it gives me peace of mind that I can show that I did my best to prevent any issue during shipping.

Best of luck.

I don't understand how a totally working Asian clone ( or any movement) becomes "totally wasted" by shipping. That makes absolutely no sense.

Personally, I'd nave him ship it back and have it fixed by somebody that's a real watchmaker. Movements don't become "totally wasted" by shipping them.

Hey all its me who bought it and to kbh no it doesnt get totally wasted of shipment went to my Real watchsmith you know those guys that do it for a living ;)? And the whole movement is crocked so it Would need a new totally new movement getting a better movement in it for 250 USD with Labour just to notfiy i havent asked for a refund since i still bought something from sputim so Would be out of question to ask for my moneyback sputim was just a really stand up guy to write this topic to see what he could do to help

Best regards everybody :)

Btw to magic

Is this a 2824 clone? If so I can offer you a New one for €30 from my AP diver (I did a transplant to a ETA) I live in the Netherlands. Pm me if I can do any thing for you. Kind regards

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Hey mate its a 2836 ETA clone sadly

What do you mean the whole movement is "crocked". These movements aren't rocket science. They've been made the same same for almost a century and they are child's play for a decent watchmaker. Worst case scenario is you have it either fully serviced for less that $100 or you have a simple fix for less than that. Or you replace the movement, which would be a waste of money in almost all cases for ETA or ETA clone movements since they are repairable.

I consider myself a watch repair idiot and I can fix most simple ETA clone movements.

When you take your car in because it's not running right and needs a tune up, do you accept the guy telling you "the whole engine's crocked" and you need a new engine? I sure as hell wouldn't. I'd want to know what is "crocked" or why it's "totally wasted". My whole point is, that movements don't get "crocked" or "wasted" from shipping. I sure as hell wouldn't accept that as an answer from a legitimate watch maker. Maybe he doesn't work on clones or maybe he just wants to replace the whole movement? Or maybe you're looking for getting a new gen ETA movement cheap. I don't know but I'm pretty sure someone is full of crap.

So you're going to spend $250 to repair something that probably has a minor problem when the new movement only costs around $60 and takes maybe 20 minutes to replace? And  the original cost of the watch was what? With a clone movement, probably less than the cost of repair. Sorry, hate to be so negative, but  I'd just accept the watch back.

Anyway, good luck with solving the problem. Sounds like you guys have worked it out.

Kbh your right in many things and your wrong in many things yeah maybe your right about my dealer :) maybe he dont wanna work on a Pierce of crap from China for let us all be honest i love the rep game but its a Pierce of [censored] compared to a Real rolex omega and so on and so on and he might see the movement is broken and he Said to me its crocked or the Nice lady at the reception told me it was crocked but that is details ofcause if i was talking to the watchsmith i could get a lesson in what has gone wrong but again details

Point 2 no i wouldnt take that for and answer if my cars was broken but sure as hell i dont come places where ppl say that [censored] and yes im gonna buy a movement that it worth more Then the watch itself im thinking why not its gonna get gen pieces later on

But where you go wrong is here and i quote Or maybe you're looking for getting a new gen ETA movement cheap. I don't know but I'm pretty sure someone is full of crap. Yeah thanks my friend the reason i love the internet haha no i aint wanna get a ETA movement cheap if i was i probaly Would have Said something about my money back but i havent mentioned it once i dont know where you go from sputim asking for both of us Nice and Calm to where you begin to act like Rambo with a Big gun in the jungle and saying some one is full of [censored] i know im not full of [censored] i know my watchsmith aint full of [censored] and i believe sputim aint full of [censored] either so going to that place on a internet forum is kinda in my opinion childish i know there are scammers and my bet alot but to scream out [censored] like saying something like that is kinda wrong in my opinion but Hey that is my opinion and your free to say yours

To all ohters thanks for the postive advices will talk further with sputim next time he is online :)

Ps i aint even mad about anything still been a good experience with this buy accept Kbh Comment about someone is full of crap

Hi All, this seems very well sorted out, can understand both parties. Northern European standards/ quality understandings and wages are very high so the watchmaker just doesn´t want to risk doing a repair for some 60 to 90 usd which may fail in the next 24 months and backtrigger on him/ so he recommends spending 250 and it´s done.

Now for the question for future reference, if You could please give an idea:

- what does a full service on an Asian ETA really cost here in EU (forum-cost?)?

- what does a swap of a damaged Asian eta cost for a new one including the movement?

(if You just send it in to one of the forums watchsmiths without sorting out the movement etc)

Sorry for late reply had a lot of work to do. So thanks all for your nice and helpful answers.

Ezio is a stand up guy and it was a pleasure to deal with him from side as a seller. That the watch was working is a fact and I believe Ezio when he tells me that it's damaged now. Stuff like that could even happen with gens and for my part i never go for swiss eta since I rather save the money and use it when the watch needs a fix. So the milgauss is a nice watch and the case is in good shape aswell as the bracelet. If ezio likes to out in a gen swiss eta (new obviously) then I think it's a good decission but obviously I won't pay that much ;)

Conclusively I will further chat with Ezio and arrange an amount I will send him to repair/replace it. I understand all the critical attitude but he's not this kind of guy and furthermore, he did not once ask for damages. I think it's just fair, since we all know how it feels when you are happily awaiting a watch and it arrives either with a flaw or doa. All of us should know that this can happen in the rep game, but nevertheless we all appreciate the nice aftersales service our great trusted dealers provide.

So thanks again and Ezio and I will sort that out in a fair way.

Btw. Shipping from UK to Denmark via royal airmail was lightning fast!:)

Cheers,

Sputim

• Like 1

Ezio I would really find a new "watchsmith" if I were you.

Just the simple fact that the watch case arrived in perfectly good order means that the movement cannot be "crocked" or broken beyond economic repair.

If the movement was completely wasted the case would be smashed up too, unless someone in the post office opened the parcel, dismantled the watch, kicked the movement around a bit and then put it all back together!!!

At a guess your watchsmith just cannot be bothered to fix a cheap Asian movement and wants to "up sell" you for a few hundred euros to put in a new gen ETA movement, which just isn't worth it for a mid priced rep.

There's a few very good watchsmiths in the EU, and they'll happily do a movement swap for a good price, and it looks like you're already sorted for a replacement movement. It'll be up and running in no time! :)

Hey all talked to sputim about it he wanna refund 40usd dollars i wasnt looking for a refund of anykind and have told him i only Would take the money if he 100% wanna do it since yeah what can you say its pennies still getting the movement since it already is getting fitted if Any of you is still in doubt about the fuss of this i can say again there never was a problem about anything im really happy how sputim have taken this just told him when the watch arrived that it was doa and he made this topic by himself its been a good Trade since it wasnt anything wrong just a bump in the road. :)

To fraggle nah aint gonna change watchsmith he been doing everything for me and my dad for 30 years or something like that

He Gave my gen rolex a free service when it needed maybe i made him look like a bad guy but he aint :)

• Like 2