When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Inaccurate descriptions

juicemouse

Why do TD's describe their watches as 1:1, 'gen-like'', ' all parts interchangeable with gen' construction when the watches clearly don't accept gen parts. Doesn't seem like someone that is 'trustworthy' would do. How many members have purchased watches thinking that they would be able to perform a simple waterproofing exercise, only to realize they can't even wash their hands without taking off the watch.

Why do car manufacturers advertise that a car can do 67mpg but in real life it only does 35 to 40mpg?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

But the parts interchangeable with gen description is mostly true, I haven't heard of any watch being described so as being totally non compatible.

Well, they should not present it as 1-1 if it isn't. My cases will most definatly accept gen parts, to a point. The cases will accept, gen crown, gen bezel, gen crystal and gasket, gen dial, and gen bracelet. I don't consider them 1-1 because the case is slightly thicker and the lugs are not shaped exactly like the gen. Slight difference. The case back will not work on a gen case and vice versa. So, even though it will accept gen parts, I think a 1-1 description is wrong. They are waterproof just like the gen. But still, not an exact 1-1. If they tell you 1-1, don't believe it

Edited by mymanmatt

To me, TD's although given a Trusted status, their websites info has a lot of lies, but these are being blamed on the factories given the TD false info.

High beat 21J being misreported as a 2836-2

Sapphire Crystals when normal glass

Why do car manufacturers advertise that a car can do 67mpg but in real life it only does 35 to 40mpg?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Actually, out of interest, it is not the manufacturers discretion of what to list for mpg. It is based on a standard test that is outlined by the EPA (USA) or ECE-15 (EU). Sadly the parameters of these test and the resulting fuel economy rating does not match anything close to reality. So the manufacturers aren't at fault for the "lie" although they do have some capacity to tip the scale a bit during the tests. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled program :)

It's all advertising hype. Do you really think that the manufacturers buy one of every watch that they sell, take it apart and make their parts as a 1:1, because if you do, I think that you are living in a dream world. I do think that in some cases, they may do a 1:1 replication, but not every one that you  see on their websites. When they get it "close", is where the problems arise. You try to use gen parts, and the case is a tiny bit too big or too small for gen dials, or the bezel assembly isn't like the gen (looks just like it, but a gen won't work!) These are the really frustrating watches. And as we have found out some of the watches are not gen like because of necessity. They are too tall, because the rep movement would not fit in a gen dimensioned case (AP ROO's for example) , the date window is off, because the rep movement DW is not in the same position as the gen. All of these are problems we encounter every day with reps.

I think that we as buyers have to learn that this is hype, and it's probably based on half truths and embellishments. The safest approach is not to be a "first responder" Those are the guys who hit the buy button the first day that a new model is released. Better to wait a while, let those first buyers receive their watches post photos and reviews and then make the decision to buy or not buy. At that point, you have cut through all the hype, have good photos of actual watches delivered to members, and you have a better idea as to what you might need to do to make the watch better (and they all need something to make them better!!) as I have never seen a rep "out the box" that couldn't stand some tweaking.

• Like 3

Yep, the usual dealer crap - AP RB II or some other $40K+ watch - "1:1 made form five genuine samples fully dissected, etc."  That DG2813 sold as ETA clone fiasco  should have been enough to get  the dealer kicked off the forum - do you really believe they don't check the watches they get from the factory?  We're getting screwed by the alleged "trusted" dealers left and right, but instead of saying something we just bend over and ask for more.

It's all advertising hype. Do you really think that the manufacturers buy one of every watch that they sell, take it apart and make their parts as a 1:1, because if you do, I think that you are living in a dream world. I do think that in some cases, they may do a 1:1 replication, but not every one that you  see on their websites. When they get it "close", is where the problems arise. You try to use gen parts, and the case is a tiny bit too big or too small for gen dials, or the bezel assembly isn't like the gen (looks just like it, but a gen won't work!) These are the really frustrating watches. And as we have found out some of the watches are not gen like because of necessity. They are too tall, because the rep movement would not fit in a gen dimensioned case (AP ROO's for example) , the date window is off, because the rep movement DW is not in the same position as the gen. All of these are problems we encounter every day with reps.

I think that we as buyers have to learn that this is hype, and it's probably based on half truths and embellishments. The safest approach is not to be a "first responder" Those are the guys who hit the buy button the first day that a new model is released. Better to wait a while, let those first buyers receive their watches post photos and reviews and then make the decision to buy or not buy. At that point, you have cut through all the hype, have good photos of actual watches delivered to members, and you have a better idea as to what you might need to do to make the watch better (and they all need something to make them better!!) as I have never seen a rep "out the box" that couldn't stand some tweaking.

Well said and sound advice !!!!

We are all to blame we buy these highly illegal replicas and the dealers or factories main goal is to make as much money with the least expenses, there are a few very nice watches for the money but there are tons of crap too, at the other end of the spectrum the gen makers are making a fortune on there over priced watches so mabe they deserve to have there watches replicated (just a thought you understand) 

In the future i see the replicas will be hard to come by, new screening technologies it will make it very hard to ship replicas ,mabe the future is sterile replicas without trademark logos  mabe we take it all too seriously and are taking the fun out of our hobby , a hobby should be some kind of stress free activity !

Edited by aeromatic

The deception thing is an unfortunate part of the hobby. My best advice is to do a lot of research on the forum before you make a purchase. When you target a model, read up about it. Find out what other people are saying. It's a lot like buying anything online these days. Customer reviews are extremely helpful. And dont be afraid to contact someone--as a group, RWGers are very knowledgable and helpful.

The deception thing is an unfortunate part of the hobby. My best advice is to do a lot of research on the forum before you make a purchase. When you target a model, read up about it. Find out what other people are saying. It's a lot like buying anything online these days. Customer reviews are extremely helpful. And dont be afraid to contact someone--as a group, RWGers are very knowledgable and helpful.

Again more sound advice !!! this is what makes  RWG a friendly place !!!

I'm not so concerned with the slight difference in case thickness to accommodate a certain movement or that the crown guards are not shaped exactly per genuine. What I am concerned about is the inability to waterproof a watch because a gasket doesn't fit right or the crystal can't be pushed in all the way. I wish that at a minimum that all these watches would accept gen crystals and gaskets.

What really pisses me off is offering a waterproofing service then explicitly stating to never go near water. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I have been lucky most of my reps were able for swimming except my 1680 redsub the crystal fell out after opening the package ! the never to go near water clause is just another way to say they will not cover water damage as you said makes no sense and as if they cover anything else anyway most times complaining just gets you a negative reply like send back the watch the reshipping most times costs more than the repair not to mention the customs risks resending them the watch if you re-send the watch and it gets lost or taken by the customs then who looses ? we do

It's all about cost/selling price with the rep manufacturers just like everything else in the world. The only difference here, is basically you are buying a product with very little or no recourse. the factories/dealers are located in China. Probably the vast majority of the replica consuming community lives half way around the world. It's not like buying a genuine product from a reputable seller who is interested in your business, and is willing and able to help you if problems occur. Probably the only way the factories feel pressure is if they send out a particularly crappy run of watches, handbags, sunglasses, whatever. If the folks selling the products get a lot of pushback from the customers, they may complain to the factories, but  I doubt that this  happens very often.

AFA the supply, I'm not sure. I have been on these rep forums for probably 12 years, and there have been several times when there were crackdowns, closures, and folks were saying the end is near. So far hasn't happened. The wild card ,of course, are the customs services of various countries. How adept are they at getting inside every package without opening every one, and since these are government employees, how much effort are they going to expend looking at every package when they have thousands and thousands to process every day.  Sort of like the old "I Love Lucy" show where Lucy and Ethel were working on and assembly line that didn't stop. Over a few minutes they were getting further and further behind, and then started doing all sorts of crazy stuff to catch up. How many times are they going to stop the line to scrutinize a package?

Sterile watches,  If they were producing watches with no markings and sterile dials, the market would dry up instantly. no one is going to buy a sterile dial watch who is looking for a rep of a genuine. Now if you could buy a sterile dial watch at a discount, and they were willing to ship dials separately, maybe some folks would buy, but I believe that would effectively kill the rep sales especially the lower end ones that you buy on the street.

I think if any watch was a complete 1:1 rep, it would cost about 50% of the price of the gen and no one would buy it.

And does anyone actually believe the 1:1 hype? I think you've got to be a bit naive if you believe it, same for waterproofing claims, and accuracy of the watches. I will admit to seeing these claims and wanting to believe them when I bought my very first two reps, but I then thought "they're selling them for 1 / 100th the price of the real item, so they will have taken a million and one shortcuts and used the cheapest of materials they can whilst still making it last a year or two, 1:1 my [censored]!" :)

They're reps, they're illegal, so of course the websites selling them don't have to be up to some standard or law, and they all inflate their claims somewhat. As Panerai said, it's all part of the rep game.