When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Montauk Highway

Theknowledge

After a long wait I decided to pull the trigger on the MH AP ROO! Its a stunning watch to look at. It has all the normal AP rep flaws, however due to the reflective date wheel area it really does look gen! Rounded chrono pushers help. However on receiving the watch the worst part of it was in fact the strap. A dead give away. Like all AP reps I have to say. So off I went to my AD and demanded a original strap. I was then informed that without the watch I could not order the strap, i needed the reference. I was stunned. I don't know if any other members have had the same problem but living in EU its becoming a problem. 

No matters I requested it anyway and the woman at the AD knew me so in the end it was not a problem. 

so enjoy the AP MH on a GEN clasp and a GEN Strap. 

The strap does not close 100 percent on the watch head.... hope you enjoy.

TK

post-31308-0-59739100-1392577247_thumb.j

post-31308-0-08938200-1392577262_thumb.j

post-31308-0-18375500-1392577277_thumb.j

That is very nice :thumbs:  I imagine the AD's are getting more difficult because the manufacturers are putting the pressure on them about selling parts over the counter. They pretty well know that if the owner doesn't bring the watch in it may well be a replica, or possibly someone has a stolen watch that they think by changing the band will change the watch enough to let it slip through a sale. Owners of genuine watches will almost always  bring in the watch and have the AD change out the strap/bracelet, because 99.99% don't have a clue as to how the bracelet or strap comes off the watch, much less the tools and know how to change the strap. 

At least you were able to convince the sales lady to sell it to you Rolex won't sell anything over the counter anymore ,Period !, here in the USA. they have to return the used parts to Rolex. I'm not sure that this applies to straps and bracelets, but watch parts like bezel inserts, crowns, crystals, all have to be returned. Parts are getting harder to come by these days.

@panerai153; parts are getting to hard to come by, this is true. Let us take full advantage while we still can! I have never tried for rolex parts, but I hear you can get things on a few forums easily.

@sardonix; Thanks, you are right! Gen buckle and Strap set me back over 800 Euros, but look at the difference! :) 

thanks guys for the comments!

TK

Lots of older Rolex parts still floating around, but getting the new stuff is pretty difficult. there is some leaking out, but not in great numbers and prices are pretty high, I would imagine like the AP stuff and other brands. If you want to see expensive try getting really nice vintage Rolex parts, they are out of sight!!

That is a beautiful strap. clasp and a very nice watch. Wear them well.

AP has a line of limited edition watches named after roads in world-famous resort cities. There's an Orchid Road AP for Singapore .. and I dont know the others.

Its Orchard Road actually, and that is a very lovely watch. ;)

The 57th street is another named after a place/road/city I guess.

There's also the Pride of Mexico, Pride of Siam etc.. and the list goes on.

I think AP can be rather whimsical regarding the design and names of their watches, and yes, they all get snapped up nonetheless! :D

I wonder why it's called Montauk Highway. Does it have some connection to LI?

For New Yorkers, Montauk Highway represents the impersonal way out of the asphalt and the rigors of daily routine, a ticket to an oasis where water moves sluggishly on the docks and boats dot the horizon. In this atmosphere, time stretches and contracts to house mile.

A road may seem an unlikely source of inspiration for a luxury sports watch, but when it is as famous as the Montauk ... a picturesque strip of asphalt 100 miles starting in New York, traces a path through eastern Long Island and empties into the sun, surf and style of the Hamptons, it's much easier to do.

@sardonix; In other post I have been asking to get Domis email or some kind of contact, as I would like to have a franken RBII built. but to no avail. if you have a way of contacting him please PM me!. 

Many thanks

TK

His address in his signature at RWI

wilerwetta@googlemail.com

What i used last time i had contact

wilerwetta@gmail.com