When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 or 16610 - All modded - Vintage or Classic - What shall I do?

watchfreund

Guys,

I need your help...

BTW: sorry for being offline a longer time. I know I still owe you an update on my Franken DLCed Ceramic Submariner.

At the moment I am trying to focus my collection to some key watches. People who dealt with me know that I am a perfectionist and always very precise on my watches or builds. For me it is the challenge to get close to GEN.

In the past I have recognized that watches smaller than 40 mmm don't grow on me. I love Vintage Daytonas for example but they just look to small on my wrist. Now I have two 40mm watches left in my collection and I want to sell one but I can not decide.

1st:

There is classic Rolex Submariner 16610. The list of mods and GEN parts is long and I have well over 1500 Euro invested. The best part about it is that it is a sort of Transformer for me. I have the GEN LN and LV insert and with a small plastic tool it only takes 3 minutes to change the insert to a different color. That means when I go on vacation I have two watches. I love that. It was much fun building this. I even installed GEN cannon pinion. All REPS have hands which are sitting to low – Easy tell. Even the date jumper has been changed to GEN. The bracelet has been made out of 3 TC bracelets to get the best match. The bracelet link screws have been used from a TC V4 bracelet and perfectly shaved to each link (screws are way better on the V4). The clasp is from the V4 which is the best available and not for sale anymore. The LV hands are brand new and were one of the last TC had – They are not for sale anymore as well. I could proceed with this text... But I guess a list is better:

• TC Sub
  • ETA 2824
  • JustAsGood serviced (Mid 2012)
  • GEN #4 cannon pinion
  • GEN date jumper
  • TC LV dial (best 2013 version) – One of the last dials before it was sold out
  • FineDD improved lume dots on the dial
  • TC LV hands (brand new 2014)
  • GEN black bezel insert
  • GEN green bezel insert
  • GEN bezel washer
  • GEN Crown
  • GEN Tube
  • GEN Crystal
  • GEN Front and Rear Gaskets
  • GEN Click Spring
  • JustAsGood shaved the Rehaut
  • FineDD put in a new TC V3 DWO
  • JustAsGood custom shaved a new V3 bracelet to the case (non-existent gaps)
  • V3 bracelet (hand picked out of 3 TC V3 bracelets) improved with the better screws from V4 and the perfect clasp of V4
  • Uwe/FineDD pressure tested to 6 BAR

16610-01_zps8e965bb5.jpg

2nd:

I always wanted a vintage Rolex. Daytona would have been one favorite - but they are to small. So I knew it had to be a 1665 Sea Dweller. I know they are rare and not often sold. But one day I had the chance to buy a forum legend. It has been modded from people like Palpatine and RepAustria (legendary caseback). The watch was close to perfect and I only let a serviced correct ETA 2846 be installed (before it was 2836) + the better TC 16610 hands (incl. matching vintage lume) + custom made silver brushed date disc (made by Polexpete). Well over 1700 Euro invested on this one. Here are the details:

• Old skool MBW case (rounded/buffed/vintagised)
  • ETA 2846 (serviced mid of 2013)
  • PALPATINE drilled lugs to accept gen springbars
  • PALPATINE modelized crown guards
  • GEN crown and tube
  • GEN springbars
  • GEN bracelet clasp
  • GEN bezel insert (and gen 'latte' tritium pearl)
  • GEN tropic 39 superdome
  • TC 16610 hands (100% matching vintage lume)
  • Poloexpete custom made silver brushed date disc
  • MY(CWP) dial
  • Colour matched hands
  • UBIQUITOUS vintage datewheel, perfect alignment
  • HeV "trompe l'oeil" mod (zero risk leak)
  • REPAUSTRIA Stamp caseback gen-look

1665-02_zps999c07b1.jpg
I just put a 16610 LN insert on top to show the look. Cant decide if I want a used insert or a full black NOS.

In the past days I frequently changed both watches. From time to time I think both are to small for me. Than I think that they are both classic and unique and I should keep one. Sometimes I even think the 1665 looks bigger on the wrist than the 16610. Please give some directions. I can make up my mind. Dont write keep them both. I want to have a smaller collection. I can even imagine to sell both. But having a classic Sub or Sea Dweller can be good I guess. And it will take way to long to start all over again. The 16610 is so classic I adore the look and also how thin it is. Very dressy and it shows that you have style. Besides it is very flexible (two watches in one). On the other hand I want a vintage. So cool for your free time or at the beach. One thing that challenges me on the 1665: I can invest even more and push it to the next stage (GEN movement, ...). I just love searching, sourcing and upgrading.

I know that is not easy. But please share your opinion with me. Even your own experiences might help.

Thank you so much.

Have a nice day

I`ll sell a kidney and buy your 1665 :D

Wish I could snatch that before you figure out you need to keep it!!

Kidding aside, I would keep the vintage.... Because VINTAGE!

• Like 2

vlydog I was hoping for an answer from you.

Can you point out some reasons? Or is it just a feeling?

I have taken my 1665 to the limit.

My taste tends to run towards the vintage pieces. I had a tricked- out 16610 and passed it on.

I really like the size of the 1665 and the way it sits up on my wrist.

I also love the domed plelxi and the look of the old tropics.

Can't leave out the beauty of the silver date wheel.

Wow! I was not expecting so much feedback. Thank you guys! I agree VlyDog the way the 1665 sits on the wrist is special and I like that as well very much. When I keep the 1665 I will for sure invest in the 1570 and other toys. In terms of believability  - I think I can handle the 1665 as well. So this would not be the argument for the 16610.

What do you guys think about size or wrist presence? Does the 1665 look/act bigger?

One plus for the 1665 that just came to mind: all parts I would buy will 100% get not cheaper over the next year so I can easy sell it in parts whenever I like to.

@dbane: interesting but the 16660 is the same size right? Why should I switch? I think I like the 1665 with the domed plexi more.

@asciwhite: did not decide what I will sell yet. As soon as I know I will open a proper sales thread with more pictures and a video as always. I might consider a kidney as well. :)

keep the 1665!!

My first rep from the forums (8 years ago now) was a legendary MBW Double Red. I had Palpatine mods and a gen T39 Superdome, and loved it so much that I sold some bodyparts to fund a gen. The 1665 is a stunning watch, and wears bigger than its 40mm
  • Like 2

I would love to own either one but if I had to choose only one of them, it would be the 1665.

Nothing beats a classic and subs are so much more common. Plus it sounds like you prefer

the 1665 because it feels bigger to you. We all have different opinions but do what your Gut

tells you.

Thanks,

Dave...

My first rep from the forums (8 years ago now) was a legendary MBW Double Red. I had Palpatine mods and a gen T39 Superdome

I still remember the dark day you put that watch up for sale. It was a Thursday and it was raining. I felt the earth move.

Another vote for the 1665!

• Like 3

Thanks guys for your feedback and the nice pictures as well. 

I agree that the 1665 looks bigger as well. If I switch the 16610 and the 1665 fast I have the feeling the 1665 looks bigger - Just like the Sub-C looks bigger that the 16610.

To be honest: normally at such a situation I would sell both watches and move on. When ever I get the feeling for a 16610 or 1665 I would just start over. But I know that for these two it will not be as easy as it sounds. Especially the 1665 with all the unique modders and modifications which are no longer available. Difficult decision. Correct me when I am wrong but getting this reworked case again for a 1665 or the caseback is close to impossible? Right?

For sure the 1665. Most everything to build one is still available, gen parts are getting scarcer and much more expensive. So selling and building another later would be more costly.

I wouldn't put the 1665 in the same category as the 16610, 16610's are a very common contemporary watch, the 1665 on the other hand is an icon! I have a heavy modded DRSD and a gen 16610 but if I has to sell one, it would be the 16610.

Here is mine

amu8e3es.jpg

Moving in to the 1665 direction. I was already thinking about selling both. I will do some homework now and check what the next stages for the 1665 would be and the costs. Will probably sell the 16610 than. Thanks for all your help. AND PLEASE KEEP THE PICTURES COMING. :) Just love to see them.

I think the 16610 is way more accurate than your 1665.

If you plan to keep it - I'd suggest to get a genuine insert with a pearl that was actually made for the 1665. Also the lugs are way too thick and the crown doesn't look like a period correct 702 from that picture.

One question though - why do you use the term gen to describe genuine Rolex parts and why do you also use it to describe ETA parts? Isn't that confusing? Aren't TC's parts also gen TC parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Akira