When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Updated: Retiring my first rep (not retired)

droptopman

OK guys and gals, It is with a heavy heart that I have to retire my first rep from 2004.  Sent it to BK for a potential WM9 spa/upgrade but it is such a POS nothing will fit on it.  It is a vintage TT blue and gold sub with a ETA 2836-2.  One of the old reps with solid gold bezel, crown and bracelet.  Bought it long before I found this place.  Paid like $1500 for it back then.  Not sure what to do with it at this point--melt down the gold?  Any suggestions? 

For sure keep the bracelet, the gold and gold wrapped are desirable.

That was the problem back then, a lot were very close, but gen parts would not fit.

I have one from way back, and the only thing left that I was able to use was the movement and bracelet on my 16613.

Glad to hear your bracelet worked on something else.  So maybe I will keep my eye out for a decent 16613 head with blue dial and insert and use my gold TT bracelet.  The bracelet is actually pretty decent and polishes up nice.  The real gold adds some weight/feel to it.  

Matt is the Man.  Probably headed his way....one last try at salvation for this unit.  I does have sentimental value.  There is a great story behind how and why I got this.  Triangle with a gen TT Sub, a Corvette race car and this rep.  The gen sub and Corvette long gone but this rep still with me.  

Matt is the Man.  Probably headed his way....one last try at salvation for this unit.  I does have sentimental value.  There is a great story behind how and why I got this.  Triangle with a gen TT Sub, a Corvette race car and this rep.  The gen sub and Corvette long gone but this rep still with me.

Sounds intriguing...

Some sort of lost wager? That or a woman...

Too funny jpz. Yes but not me. Guy who owned the Vette had gambling debt with some guys who don't send u to collections. They come to collect....I had been trying to buy the car from him for years and he finally called to sell it to keep himself safe. We had just built a new house so I didn't have enough cash so sold my gen sub quick to get the Vette. Missed the TT so found the rep online and bought it and liked it so 10 years later....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, so a lost wager by someone else... Sucks for them but luckily for them you were able to help them out (and get a car that you had wanted). Those two tone subs have a nice appeal, I like them but never had one nor certain I could pull one off. Hope Matt can set you up with some parts for it. If not then I'm sure if you wanted you he can source parts to build you a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the 16613: Mymanmatt has saved this unit from being retired. Matt truly walks with the Rolex watchsmith Gods. He was able to find an insert to fit--with some modification, but it did snap in. Sourced a gen crown and tube and put it all together. I think it looks awesome. This was always one of my favorite Rolex models and the first gen Rolex I ever purchased back in 1987 for my 20th birthday. At the end of the day, I get to keep a real gold TT for less than the price of a plated new rep would have cost me. Hey and now it has one gen part on it :pimp:

de6ere6e.jpgugegysyq.jpg