When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my most frustrating buying experience (not here, of course)

chris5264

just picked up a cheap Russian watch for 65 (usd) over at WUS. It arrived in good shape but stopped randomly. So, no huge deal it just needs a cleaning at least. So, I write the seller and say, watch needs a cleaning it isn't working and I know, my hobby is watch making.  The sellers sends me a long email about how to wind and set a watch! Ok, so I just give up and say I'll eat the 65 and toss it on my watch table and fix it some day. THEN!!! the seller writes up a negative review posting my emails and even poking fun at my writing style (I use too many commas). So,,,,for some reason this is really bothering me...I've bought and hundreds of watches and this one experience really makes me mad...I eat it and this seller writes me my first negative review over 65 bucks??? Things like this make me want to just stop buying and selling....or maybe I need to come back here and just buy reps? at least you people are sane (for the most part)

That sucks! Personally, I'd just ignore idiots like that and get on with your hobby, there is too little time on this planet and too many watches to collect!

I know how you feel...

Big watch forums like WUS and TZ are breeding grounds for Watch Loonies. The problem is the Loonies detract from the few posters left who actually know what they are talking about.

The fate of VRF is similar...they used to be friendly and knowledgeable with a sense of humor. Now it's just a Loonie Bin full of nutty Dial Experts...and S.T.M.

I sold a nib Oris 'Big Date' to a TZ Guy a few years ago...

He put a WTB on the Sales Corner (aka mine field) wanting an Oris BD and I told him I had one along with the reference number and price (one half retail).

He wrote back that he tried one on at a local AD with the same reference number as mine and he liked it so he would buy mine.

He paid and I sent it.

He wrote back and said it was bigger than the one in the store.

I said it was the same reference number and the same size watch.

He said Ok but it looked smaller in the store. (??)

I figured it was over.

Wrong! A few days later he wrote back that it quit running and 'needs a new battery'.

He wanted his $$ back.

It was an AUTOMATIC!

I told him to forget a refund because I had a No Refunds To Idiots rule.

I have a similar story about a TZ Loonie who bought an 'unworn in box' AK 14010 from me and sent it back without notice after posting a half dozen pictures of it on TZ showing off his 'new AK'.

He claimed my 14010 AK was smaller than the last 14010 AK he had...he had posted pics of it too.

Another TZ Loonie thought my nib watches should be sold to him on consignment because...what if he sold one and the buyer brought it back in a condition too rough for him to resell again as new?

I told him I was born on a Wednesday but not last Wednesday.

Etc, etc...  :fool: