When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

10 ways to spot a fake Rolex

Legend

http://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/rolex-info/the-top-ten-ways-to-spot-a-fake-rolex.html

Ok, going by the things this guy wrote, a lot of the Rolex we see here are genuine.

I think you guys know a lot more about spotting a fake Submariner than this guy.

Most of the rep movements would of course be a tell, but on the wrist, I think its very difficult, at least for a Rollie Noob like me.

Please pardon me for this post, I have recently started being interested in Rolex and am doing my due research.

Please be patient with me, and give me a chance to learn. ;)

L

Nor sure how long ago this was written but he obviously hasn't seen any of TC's watches yet! Being in retail I'm constantly in contact with members of the general public, if a guy walks into my shop (I sell vintage watches as well as menswear)  then 9 times out of 10 i can tell if he's got a Gen or a Rep on his wrist, purely by his body language.

Normally it if i give his wrist a quick glance without realising he's doing it, if his initial reaction is to put his wrist behind his back then he's sporting rep. They normally won't make eye contact either ;)

Funnily enough i had a customer in the other day sporting his new Yachtmaster 2 which is 100% Gen and i was amazed at the amount of Rotor noise it gave off. Not sure if its because it has a chrono function that makes it noisier than a standard 3135 movement?

Basically a good article for people with no or very few knowledge about rolex. I guess this article prevented many from buying reps sold at gens at the bay or other auction platforms. Nevertheless, it's not a good guide to spot a franken rollie ;)

Or even a good rep actually. ;)

Or even a good rep actually. ;)

Probably yes, since some months ago a 116610 noob v1 was sold on the bay for 6k and hey the v1 was pretty bad..but for me most rolex reps need serious moding. You must know very very much about AP's what I can't claim but I believe AP reps are better otb reps than most rollies..all the newer ceramic versions can be spotted easily by there insert which is way off. But most good reps are compatible with gen parts and that makes it very interesting especially for vintage rollies with its great market for aftermarket parts :)

"Probably yes, since some months ago a 116610 noob v1 was sold on the bay for 6k" I think you are going to see a lot more posts "fake on the bay" since our guys are about the only ones who could tell with a little work to a TC gonna be tough to spot. You can pick what you want but a Gen crystal and insert should do the trick. I know the movement, but for a hit and run it would past muster.

Probably yes, since some months ago a 116610 noob v1 was sold on the bay for 6k and hey the v1 was pretty bad..but for me most rolex reps need serious moding. You must know very very much about AP's what I can't claim but I believe AP reps are better otb reps than most rollies..all the newer ceramic versions can be spotted easily by there insert which is way off. But most good reps are compatible with gen parts and that makes it very interesting especially for vintage rollies with its great market for aftermarket parts :)

I think that most OTB AP ROO reps are decent, but instant tells after you know the flaws. ;)

Can you please teach me how to spot a fake bezel please? Thank you kindly!

I think that most OTB AP ROO reps are decent, but instant tells after you know the flaws. ;)

Can you please teach me how to spot a fake bezel please? Thank you kindly!

Oh mr A. I will order a safari soon and I already now about the pusher and date window inaccuracy but don't spoil me more since I can't afford do franken my ap at Domi ;) I want it only serviced and AR'd by him ;) The more we know, the more we get spoiled. For me that's exactly the fun but some reps I enjoy as they come and other like my tc v6 I want to brinh to perfection.

The best tell for an insert is the pearl. For the 16610 for instance the gen pearl is covered by saphir glass and this is made just perfectly! Vintage caddell insert is the closest with regard to the pearl but the insert is slightly bent which is an inaccuracy. If it comes to the bezel assembly it gets extremely difficult since every new serial rolex deviates slightly. The earlier models had shallower and less defined bezel teeths while newer versions are deeper. For me I won't change it on my tc v6 which resembles a y-series and is very very close. Compared with my gen z-series 16610lv i really cant spot a difference. So as long as the quality is good I don't see it as a tell since there are too many gen variances. Some people admire clark's insert and other like the startime bezel that is pretty defined and deep. For me tc's bezel assembly is awesome but the sel fitment is often not great. Compare some gen sel's with tc ones. The endlinks should be sunken which is not really the case with the v4 93250. The v5 seems very promising and I order one soon :)

Oh mr A. I will order a safari soon and I already now about the pusher and date window inaccuracy but don't spoil me more since I can't afford do franken my ap at Domi ;) I want it only serviced and AR'd by him ;) The more we know, the more we get spoiled. For me that's exactly the fun but some reps I enjoy as they come and other like my tc v6 I want to brinh to perfection.

The best tell for an insert is the pearl. For the 16610 for instance the gen pearl is covered by saphir glass and this is made just perfectly! Vintage caddell insert is the closest with regard to the pearl but the insert is slightly bent which is an inaccuracy. If it comes to the bezel assembly it gets extremely difficult since every new serial rolex deviates slightly. The earlier models had shallower and less defined bezel teeths while newer versions are deeper. For me I won't change it on my tc v6 which resembles a y-series and is very very close. Compared with my gen z-series 16610lv i really cant spot a difference. So as long as the quality is good I don't see it as a tell since there are too many gen variances. Some people admire clark's insert and other like the startime bezel that is pretty defined and deep. For me tc's bezel assembly is awesome but the sel fitment is often not great. Compare some gen sel's with tc ones. The endlinks should be sunken which is not really the case with the v4 93250. The v5 seems very promising and I order one soon :)

Thank you very kindly for sharing! I certainly more from your one post than from scouring google reading about all the "tells", model numbers, and generations of Rolexes and their differences. As for the Safari, it is a beautiful watch for sure and I am sure you will adore it upon its return from Domi!

Once again thanks for teaching me regarding the Rolex Bezel inserts.. I have two questions please:

a. Can I just buy a genuine insert and put it onto a rep Sub from, say, TC?

b. Are you able to change the insert yourself? What kind of tools are required please?

Thank you!

Thank you very kindly for sharing! I certainly more from your one post than from scouring google reading about all the "tells", model numbers, and generations of Rolexes and their differences. As for the Safari, it is a beautiful watch for sure and I am sure you will adore it upon its return from Domi!

Once again thanks for teaching me regarding the Rolex Bezel inserts.. I have two questions please:

a. Can I just buy a genuine insert and put it onto a rep Sub from, say, TC?

b. Are you able to change the insert yourself? What kind of tools are required please?

Thank you!

As soon as my Tissot is sold I will order one :)

Both questions yes. Gen insert fits the tc v6 perfectly. I didn't need to shave it nor did I had to usw a crystal press. It poppws right in qith my fingers.

Since Tc v6 is 100% gen construction you only need to slide something like a thin blade (be careful to not scratch the lugs, use stickers to protect it) and pop the bezel up. I will send you a youtube link how to diy. Should not be a problem for you at all :)

As soon as my Tissot is sold I will order one :)

Both questions yes. Gen insert fits the tc v6 perfectly. I didn't need to shave it nor did I had to usw a crystal press. It poppws right in qith my fingers.

Since Tc v6 is 100% gen construction you only need to slide something like a thin blade (be careful to not scratch the lugs, use stickers to protect it) and pop the bezel up. I will send you a youtube link how to diy. Should not be a problem for you at all :)

And thank you once again!

My fingers got the IQ of an idiot, you sure I can do it? :D

And thank you once again!

My fingers got the IQ of an idiot, you sure I can do it? :D

99% sure haha..and in case you fail I am sure you know a watchmaker close to you how is skilled a little bit better :p I will send you the video tutorial later..afterwards you can't fail it ;)

99% sure haha..and in case you fail I am sure you know a watchmaker close to you how is skilled a little bit better :p I will send you the video tutorial later..afterwards you can't fail it ;)

thanks Sputim! 

I will do my best.. but hey, first I need to get that TC V6 Sub! :D