When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a one and done AP?

All standard flaws aside is there a one and done AP? The ROOs will need a service,and I know most will say the diver and most would agree. So besides the diver what other models would qualify not needing any mods or upgraded straps?

The ones that I think could be are the black themes rubber clad, the panda, the 15400's are there any others that you would be able to "wear it of the box" without doing any further cosmetic mods?

Just looking for updated opinions as I have done a search but it yielded older info.

Thanks RWG!

All standard flaws aside is there a one and done AP? The ROOs will need a service,and I know most will say the diver and most would agree. So besides the diver what other models would qualify not needing any mods or upgraded straps?

The ones that I think could be are the black themes rubber clad, the panda, the 15400's are there any others that you would be able to "wear it of the box" without doing any further cosmetic mods?

Just looking for updated opinions as I have done a search but it yielded older info.

Thanks RWG!

Actually, being a collector of both gen and rep APs, I do not see why you singled out the black themes, rubber clad and panda out of the ROO range as being better than the rest. They all have the same flaws and tells as most of the 42mm ROOs, and yes, they have the same A7750 sec@12 modified movement too.

Also, the "out of the box" acceptability varies from wearer to wearer. There is no pre-existing set of standards that qualifies one rep as superb and another as not good. To me, the rep black themes and the rest you mentioned all require some form of cosmetic mods but its just my personal opinion. Others would find them superb and perfectly wearable out of the box. It all depends on how comfortable you are with any given rep. It is true that due to different dial layouts and other features, some ROO reps appear to me to be more accurate than the others.The 15400s and 44mm ROO reps are better than the 42mm ROO reps in my opinion but the see through casebacks negate some of the improvements. I agree that the diver is a very good AP rep, but even that is not perfect. 

I have my own list of "accurate" ROO reps but that is a list that is formed out of my research and personal opinion. Some would disagree with me but as I mentioned, personal opinions matter a lot when it comes to owning and wearing reps. You are the one who is ultimately going to wear them. So choose something that you are comfortable with. :)

:)...a good example is possibly me...

The only mod necessary to the 42mm APs for me is the sec@12 mod done by Domi and some others (adding an additional jewel).

The optical flaws aren't some for me. The watches look great just as they are and there is absolutely no one around me who's able to call me out...I doubt that they even know what AP is :D

And since I only wear them for my own pleasure I don't see the reason to sink any penny into eliminating flaws. The movement and the overall realibility is way more important for me :)

Right now I do own a v3.5 diver, a Safari (unmoded yet) and a Chronopassion (hopefully back in a few days from its sec@12 mod).

I gathered the black themes and the panda from other posts opinions.

I guess my main motive is to try and purchase a $450-$600 rep and not have to put that much more into it to make it "acceptable" as funny as that sounds. I might find it difficult to spend an additional $400 on a strap etc..

Well...nice straps can be bought for way less from Donerix (member over here) or SergeD (member over at the other rwg, just ordered a grey stingray strap for 140$ shipped :) ).

I for myself decided to wear my Safari at least a few month before I'll let it have its sec@12 mod and a movement service. As long as it runs I don't see the need to have it serviced.

But...if you plan to keep your watch for a while you always have to count in a movement service. Sometimes they run even years without and sometimes they have to get serviced right out of the box...that's just part of the game :)

• Like 1

Well...yes and no!

It's my opinion about my Safari. I know about the flaws but I don't care.

Others like the black themes or the Panda or the Chronopassion or the whatevertheyliketonameit have flaws too. But the only guys that are able to call one out on these are part of the rep game so they won't do it :)

Care for the movement I'd say and your well prepared for 99,99998% ;)

Sent from my wooden drums using Tupperware

From my very limited experience with AP's there is no perfect "one and done" Every one of them is going to require some degree of modding, some more than others. One problem that I see with the AP's especially the 42mm ROO's like the Rubber clads, the Panda, Safari, etc., is the dial. No matter how close to perfect they make the dial AFA the color, the shape and size of the letters and numbers, the Date window is going to be a "tell", and it's not fixable. the only option is to use a genuine dial and that then requires a different movement, which requires case mods, and all that adds up to a pretty expensive rep. The positive part of that "Tell' is it would not be noticeable at arms length, or even closer, and then only be someone who has and Eagle eye and a lot of knowledge about AP ROO watches.

I believe that what every serious rep owning individual has to do is come to terms with what flaws they can live with and those that they absolutely cannot live  with. If the date window position drives you insane, better look at other models or expect to spend some serious cash to fix the flaw. With most reps, you can take the modding process as far as you desire and have the funds to buy the parts. If you are so OCD that nothing short of perfect will do, then  I would advise you to stick to genuine watches, because in the end, they are going to be the only ones that have no flaws. Pretty much what I do with the majority of my watches are fix the flaws that I can't live with . I want the watch to have the same color and intensity of lume as the genuine. If the genuine watch has double sided AR, then my rep should have the same. Movements need to be serviced, not as a mod, but to increase the longevity and usefulness of the watch. I want my watches to be accurate, and often this requires the movement be serviced. With the AP's these are pretty much the only mods I'm interested in doing, because past this point require that you spend thousands rather than hundreds.In the end, no matter how much it looks like a genuine it's still a rep.

Personally, I'm not a perfectionist, I have been burned too many times trying to sell highly modded reps that I ended up selling at a big loss. I used to have a rule of thumb that I would not spend more than 20% of the cost of a comparable genuine watch to mod a rep. I have been forced to modify that percentage upward to around 30%strickly because parts are getting more and more expensive. Another thing that I have learned over the years is that putting one together is relatively easy, selling one is another matter. The vast number of folks on these rep forums are casual watch buyers and owners. they want something that they cannot afford in a genuine watch. This is not and indictment of members and frankly, I believe that members who hang around and participate definitely don't fall into that category. These casual shoppers are looking for watches in the 200-500 USD price range. Watches that are in that price range usually sell very quickly. When you up the price to 1000USD, the pool gets much shallower! In this price range, watches will sell, but they will need to appear to be a bargain to the buyer. The AP ROO that cost 500 USD and has a service, maybe a jewel mod numbers and hands relumed as well as AR'ed Cyclops and crystal plus a nice aftermarket strap will probably sell pretty quickly at 1000-1100 USD because buyers will perceive that they are getting a bargain. Above that price range, the going gets tough, especially when you get into the really special ROO's, Rolex Daytonas, etc. with price tags upwards of 5000-7000 USD. Unfortunately, these are the super reps that end up sitting around the sales forum for a long, long time, and eventually, a lot of them get taken back apart and parted out.      

• Like 1

"I have been burned too many times trying to sell highly modded reps that I ended up selling at a big loss." and that is the way of things as panerai lays out in detail ever so accurately . There is however a flip side to this, I do not mod anything I'm the guy who buys them when they get put up. So keep your powder dry ($) patience long......(this needs to be a page long)................. and you can get a special one at a discount.

possibly we are digressing, because the OP wanted to know if there is a "one and Done AP" quick answer ,No!! But to get back to the idea of modding. I believe that first off you need to have a plan, and then a budget. but most importantly, you need to know that the person who is doing the modding is competent and well trained enough to undertake what he claims.This includes having the necessary equipment to do the job correctly. it's expensive enough to have watches modded, but it's very disappointing when one comes back and is worse than when it left!! There are some good guys here on this and other forums, and I feel sure that outside of one or two that were basically wholesale scammers, most mean well. But wanting to do a good job and doing a good job are definitely different. So from one who has been disappointed quite a few times, it pays to do your due diligence. Not everyone is going to please every client ever time, but if you are looking for a modder/watchsmith and there are persistent neutral and negative comments about their work, I would keep looking.