When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Red Sub QC Pics

Jaethomp

Well, it came in yesterday, looks good but the bezel is way too loose. You can spin it with a flick. Upon removing the bezel, there is no friction washer and no groove for the retaining ring. Anyone else have this pt model with the same problem? Do the reps have a friction washer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by groove on the retainer ring? The only grove the retainer ring should have for that model(if the retainer is the better one) is none. If the watch is built like gen the retainer gasket should reside on the case end. No wire spring for the gen like assembly.

What do you mean by groove on the retainer ring? The only grove the retainer ring should have for that model(if the retainer is the better one) is none. If the watch is built like gen the retainer gasket should reside on the case end. No wire spring for the gen like assembly.

i believe they put the wrong bezel and insert on the rep. I contacted pt but no luck with a replacement bezel. I've found one on eBay with a insert and friction ring I ordered the other day. Not gen but looks good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a thread on RWI in which Rolex Addict says this is the best 1680 case he's worked on. He says when putting in a gen spec crystal it's a perfect fit and you throw away the plastic retainer ring/gasket that this model comes with. It is not gen-like, obviously. After replacing the crystal you pitch the plastic ring and the bezel pressure fits down over the crystal.

Another option is to have JMB custom machine a new retainer ring for the watch. This is what a lot of people have done and it makes a huge difference.

I own this watch. The insert is actually awesome. It's a service replacement style insert, so the numbers are thin but it has a nice vintage pearl. Many 1680s in the wild have had inserts replaced, so this is correct to gen. The bezel shape and teeth are also spot on to gen, so you don't need to replace it, but some folks do. 6 of one, I say. When I look at mine compared to the gen reds on TRF and VRF my bezel is identical.

I'm replacing my crystal with a T19 and if I have plans to pressure fit my bezel back down onto the crystal, but if I have trouble then I'll go the JMB route.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Here's one of the original QC pics from mine showing the large crown.

IMG_9566.jpg

Here's a pic showing it after I replaced the crown with a vintage gen crown.

2013-02-26141127.jpg

When you hold the two crowns side by side there doesn't appear to be a huge difference, but looks are deceiving. When they are installed on the watch the difference is night and day.

Here's one of the original QC pics from mine showing the large crown.

IMG_9566.jpg

Here's a pic showing it after I replaced the crown with a vintage gen crown.

2013-02-26141127.jpg

When you hold the two crowns side by side there doesn't appear to be a huge difference, but looks are deceiving. When they are installed on the watch the difference is night and day.

do you have any pics of the bezel assembly?

I'm not sure.  Is it gen-spec?  If yes, then it will.  The question I have, though, is what style of crown is the modern TC?  Is it the same thing as these vintage crowns?  When I bought my gen, the seller (a parts guy over in Switzerland) just advertised it as a vintage 7mm.  I know it's not a 702 so I'm assuming I have a vintage 703?  Is that what the TC crown is, only new?

The lug holes on this one are already drilled to accept gen bars, so that's a plus! Just note that when you use gen bars in the factory bracelet, which is great quality by the way, the gen bars eat up any wiggle room and forgiveness for lining up the tips with the holes. I am unable to use my gen spec Yuki bars with these endlinks because I simply can't line them up.

Two solutions are to either get WSO endlinks, which some people say solves the issue, or try to find a 1.8mm shoulderless bar. I just want the tips to show through, so I don't care if the bar OD is 1.8mm. You don't see that when using a bracelet. :) If I ever put it on a leather band or Nato, then I can use my gen spec bars.

The lug holes on this one are already drilled to accept gen bars, so that's a plus! Just note that when you use gen bars in the factory bracelet, which is great quality by the way, the gen bars eat up any wiggle room and forgiveness for lining up the tips with the holes. I am unable to use my gen spec Yuki bars with these endlinks because I simply can't line them up.

Two solutions are to either get WSO endlinks, which some people say solves the issue, or try to find a 1.8mm shoulderless bar. I just want the tips to show through, so I don't care if the bar OD is 1.8mm. You don't see that when using a bracelet. :) If I ever put it on a leather band or Nato, then I can use my gen spec bars.

what are your thoughts in this bezel and insert? y8y4e3aj.jpg